What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

213 Watt LED Nirvana Northern Lights Grow

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
got my final seedling to poke it's head above the rockwool. it looks stunted.

i will get some pics here in just a little bit.

GP73LPC

Veteran
here's the youngest. hard to see in this pic, but it looks like two small cotyledons yet to open up. not sure if this plant will make it but we will try...

few more pics

a quick question, my air temps at the tub surface is 70°. having only grown with hps in a confined area i have never had this experience.

should i turn off my exhaust fan and warm it up 10° for the youngsters?

flipped them to 12/12 today. i don't want big plants, especially if all six make it...

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks medmaker.

i've been looking forward to this for a long time. :tiphat:

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
a quick question, my air temps at the tub surface is 70°. having only grown with hps in a confined area i have never had this experience.

should i turn off my exhaust fan and warm it up 10° for the youngsters?

flipped them to 12/12 today. i don't want big plants, especially if all six make it...

Well, you know, this is the disadvantage (neah :noway:), the advantage of the LED grow lights. You can turn of the exhaust fan without any problem in the first week as the plants do not smell to worry about and there is enough CO2 in the air to support their growth.

Temps below 77F tend to slow the grow process, so give it a try. If the temperature goes above 80F you can connect your exhaust fan to a timer to remove warm air when necessary.

GP73LPC

Veteran
Well, you know, this is the disadvantage (neah :noway:), the advantage of the LED grow lights. You can turn of the exhaust fan without any problem in the first week as the plants do not smell to worry about and there is enough CO2 in the air to support their growth.

Temps below 77F tend to slow the grow process, so give it a try. If the temperature goes above 80F you can connect your exhaust fan to a timer to remove warm air when necessary.

thanks man...

but now i see a flaw in the system, at least to start. when i removed the airstones from my pepper plants they were established plants.

i am not getting any roots coming out of the rockwool cubes. i had one but it dried up. the water is probably an inch or so away from the cube. don't think that will cut it. i will add an airstone to create mist bubbles in that 1 inch gap to encourage root expansion away from the moist rockwool cube.

once they are all in the water i can remove the airstone.

oh, i think my runt died. when i install the airstone i will take a closer look.

:tiphat:

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Why to remove the airtone ? How you keep the water clean without oxygenation ?

P.S You can make a small siphon tube (5-6mm diameter) and pump air and the end submerged on the water, and the air bubbles will lift small amounts of water, enough to keep the rockwool moist until the roots touch the water.

A humidity dome made of clear plastic bottles will be useful for these fragile seedlings.

GP73LPC

Veteran
don't have to remove the airstone, just trying to make it as simple and fail proof as possible. and i would not remove the air hose and bubbles, just the airstone.

i've already installed a new airstone i had laying around and moved all plants to one tub.

i still see green on the runt, but it doesn't look good.

thanks for reminding me. a humidity dome is a great idea.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
I had a runt (germinated on soil) that remained with just cotyledons and half of leaf for about 2 weeks, and she turned out into a beautiful plant.

Don't you think having air bubbling directly into the water will be more noisy than running with airstone ? I remember that many, many years ago I read a book about aquariums and there was a chart with size of air bubbles, distance from the airstone and the aquarium walls and the measured noise, and the smaller the bubbles , the lower the noise. If the airstone or the bubbles do not tuch the reservoir , the sound is bearable.

GP73LPC

Veteran
no worry about that, there is a window unit with the fan running all the time a few feet away.

BrownThumb

Are you going to pump up your quantity of light when you flower these or are those two lights good enough to do the yob by themselves?

GP73LPC

Veteran
Are you going to pump up your quantity of light when you flower these or are those two lights good enough to do the yob by themselves?

had not planned on it. if i do it will be something like the multiple 25 watter bulbs they sell at lowes or home depot. but to be honest i would love to see what just these two can do.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i think i have what is needed now.

tiny bubbles...

moisture on the bottom of the lid...

and domed seedlings

also instead of cutting back on the exhaust i just adjusted the window unit a bit since it was set fairly low.

temp at plant level now is 82 degrees

:tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
well good and bad news.

the runt died and when i investigated i did indeed find another plant who's tap root was also dead and cotyledons stuck in a seed. i chock this one up to mother nature.

one other plant is looking bad (on the left in the back in the pic below). no growth, no tap root. this might have been the plant that put out a tap root that dried up (not sure), but i'll take credit for the death that i believe is inevitable.

the remaining 4 plants all have roots (pic below is old). none are in the water yet, but all are wet and growth continues on the seedlings.

the last pic is 4 lady bugs that i believe came into the area with my little seedling tray. two of them look like they are trying to make more. :D they are welcome to stay as long as they would like :tiphat:

so at this point looks like i will be running 4 nirvana northern light plants.

oh, i did set the timer for 12/12 but have not turned it on yet. i am giving them more light to get established first.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Missed this before, but I'm aboard now! Glad to see you back in the ranks - I would have a damn tough time not growing.....