What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dab on this, then attempt to build a 12k growroom

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Question; I have to move my plants this week... And its snowing, and cold as fuck;

My plan was to rent a Uhaul Trailer, and move them at like 10PM right after my neighbors go to bed. Trip takes about 20 minutes...

Will they Get hella fucked up from being in a freezing trailer for like 30-45 minutes?

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I think I'm starting to regret my decision to hang the lights individually rather than on a 1x3 or something similar. It just looks sorta ghetto to me..
Did a bunch of work in the basement. Really tired, heres some pics!

Snowday

Hung some carbon scrubbers and fans

MDxUUrE.jpg

K1MJHcn.jpg

0RVE0gZ.jpg

TRicQcf.jpg

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Tomorrows Agenda;

Mount 4 16'' Oscillating fans on floor
Mount 2 16'' Oscillating fans on walls
Drill 1.5'' hole through brick for 2 gauge subpanel wire run
Hang Veg Lights
Hang Intake Fan
Go get my other 2 ballasts, and 4 sockets and get those hung and wired
Run Plumbing lines, and cut and glue all my pvc.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
haha i was talking about meeting the challenge of keeping up with you but after seeing this i see that i am not quite in the same league lol. my 6k grow will have to do for now :)

everything looks great so far. keep it up!

the gnome

Veteran
the room is rocking dabs :good:
I haven't checked in for a while but its come a long ways since then

Question; I have to move my plants this week... And its snowing, and cold as fuck;

My plan was to rent a Uhaul Trailer, and move them at like 10PM right after my neighbors go to bed. Trip takes about 20 minutes...

Will they Get hella fucked up from being in a freezing trailer for like 30-45 minutes?

I don't think 20 minutes would be an issue dabs
when i move small plants in something like a cooler I put a small led flashlight in with the plants...

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep up the good work Dab! I'm off work today to enjoy some framing! Time to put in some supports, cut out my flower room floor and box it in.

For intake filters which ones did you consider? Given my room volume (~800 cu ft) a 6" or 8" is in the plans for me but not sure what make or size yet.

Only read the 1st page but that's not enough airflow for that many watts.

Not in a million years.. unless you're only doing like 10-15 plants you're going to starve them.

Looking at the bottom of page 1 and a room full of stressed and dying plants. This get fixed?

And yes, why didn't you set up 4 rows of 3 lights?

Few things next go round I can probably help you with.

haha i was talking about meeting the challenge of keeping up with you but after seeing this i see that i am not quite in the same league lol. my 6k grow will have to do for now :)

everything looks great so far. keep it up!

I've done both multiple times and you'll do better with 6-8kw and c02 than you will with a straight 12kw.

Your power bill will be less, too.

Moving plants is never a good thing. That said, if you must, you must.

Make it as fast as possible and if you can, try to get some heat into that uhaul. If it means borrowing a propane heater or something, do so. While 45 mins isn't that long, if it's really that cold.. usually not a good thing coupled with stress of moving them/etc.

Is the room you're moving them to identical in environment to the one they're being moved FROM?

The less amount of stress you can put on them, the better, obv.

One thing I will suggest though.. you don't need 3 filters and fans. Sell those off and get a larger phresh or something of the sort (5', 14/16"). I have found that using multiple filters causes them to suck the oxygen up out of the room before it's even had a chance to do anything.. your intake appears to be up top of the room.. and i'm not sure if you plan on ducting that down or anything, but plants breathe from the stomata, which are on the bottom of the leaves.

For an example.. in my rooms I generally like the idea of a register setup.. it allows you to control airflow across the bottom of the canopy as well as direct it off plants should you have them directly in front.. you can channel it down between rows of buckets. Keeping the filter on the opposite side of the room as opposed to up top or anywhere else lets the draw go straight across the room, ensuring your plants are always getting fresh air and such, opposed to the majority of it being pumped in from the top and then exhausted immediately from the top as well..

Wall mounts and the like will only do so much. For shiits and giggles, here's a room I built a couple years back for some clients. Wasn't the largest budget but it got the job done. Yes, the lights are too far apart.. that's how they wanted it, against my suggestions.. what can I say, lol. They'll figure it out eventually.. but money was a factor, so eh. This is at about 2 weeks veg after being pinched early. Fan is a 14" ~1700 cfm can super quiet (was $500 or so back then).. same fan on the 5' filter across the room exhausting.

room.jpg

There is a ~3' dead space on the other side of that drywall we built. Vents were put up on the outside of the garage above, much like a lot of houses do anyways. Can't hear a thing and you always have the option of putting a small heater or whatever in there to treat the air/filter it prior to bringing it into your room.

Of course I live in a climate where you can pump and dump.. not always an option in freezing temps and such. Dunno where a lot of you guys are.. but the simple idea works.. just figure out a way to heat the air.

Hopefully this gave you some ideas.. and if not and you think i'm an idiot.. that works too, lol.

But, I have done lots of rooms lots of ways.. this works SO well.. they thrive with all that fresh air being constantly blown underneath.. you avoid direct air and leaf burn/etc.. I had a couple wall mounts each side on medium, but they were purposely far enough away so they couldn't do anything of the sort, been there, heh.

I probably should have mounted that one a little lower looking back now.. but we got away with it.. those were a little on the sativa side and they grew fast.. a week later they were almost twice as big and it worked out ok.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Only read the 1st page but that's not enough airflow for that many watts.

Not in a million years.. unless you're only doing like 10-15 plants you're going to starve them.

Looking at the bottom of page 1 and a room full of stressed and dying plants. This get fixed?

And yes, why didn't you set up 4 rows of 3 lights?

Few things next go round I can probably help you with.

Enough airflow?? I know the recommended rate is 2x air exchanges per minute

30ft long x 9ft wide x 7ft high = 1890 ft^3

3 x 750CFM 8'' Fans pulling air out = 2250 ft^3 (of course that is ideal, probably closer to 2000ft^3

So my exhaust only exchanges the air 1x/ minute, which i know is not ideal, but it will almost certainly be enough. Unfortunately we're not all big ballers with 50k to drop on their dream growroom, and someone to build it for them. im workin on a budget over here..I dont have enough$ to buy 2 x 2000 CFM fans, or the carbon filters to attach them to

I also have a 1050CFM fan as an intake...Plan is to blow it down towards the ground around the edges of the long walls of the room (on both sides of the plants)...Then as it warms, it'll get sucked towards the middle and up and out the exhaust...

Not sure why you're looking at this as such an utter failure and causing "droopy dying plants"

As far as the veg pics, those are my girls, hanging out in a buddys garage while i get shit figured out over here. The environment is far from ideal, in fact there is no environment control whatsoever.., but chill the fuck out eh? They appear to be growing just fine...and are far from dying.

Thanks for the genius reply about moving the plants. Obviously the easiest way to not stress plants while moving them is to not move them in the first place:moon: you hit the nail on the head with that one.

And to be 100% honest with you, you're right. If i could i woulda done 2 or 3 or 10 rows of lights, but real word hit me and I was constrained by the size and layout of my basement...Thus i chose to do one row of 12 lights. In the future, when i have enough money to outfit 2 rooms prostyle with CO2, I may just do that. Until then I'm gonna take the budget way out. :thank you:

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Keep up the good work Dab! I'm off work today to enjoy some framing! Time to put in some supports, cut out my flower room floor and box it in.

For intake filters which ones did you consider? Given my room volume (~800 cu ft) a 6" or 8" is in the plans for me but not sure what make or size yet.
I personally would go with a 8'' intake and a 10 or 12'' exhaust..But aparently I dont know shit about it.

There's enough money in that room to do everything I just mentioned and then some.

Airflow is not the only thing man. I realize you think i'm coming off as a dick but the bottom line is plants will use as much c02 as you can provide them given the amount of light is enough to metabolize it.

You've got TWELVE THOUSAND watts.. you are going to notice huge gains the next run when you swap out those little fans and re-do the room.

I didn't say it was a failure. Did I? Don't take it as such. This appears to be what, your 3rd grow? Calm down, turbo.

Do another 50 or so and you'll be able to chime in like I am. If you don't appreciate the help, well then lol.. I will just keep it to myself from now on.

I am not sure what you expected posting all this on a forum of people all around the globe doing the same thing.. did you think we'd all just lick your butt?

Hate to break it to ya 'kid'.. that's not how it works. You've got a LONG ways to go.

Either listen to the guys giving you tips and advice or continue to post your pictures while the rest of us laugh at you in secret.

I can do that, as well. I'm not posting this information for any other reason than for the simple fact that there are things you can improve upon.

If you don't think so.. well then yeah.. you keep right on man.

Cheers.

I personally would go with a 8'' intake and a 10 or 12'' exhaust..But aparently I dont know shit about it.

No, you really don't. You're 23 and this is what, your 3rd grow man?

You're going to learn real quick that any type of 8/10" fan won't be enough once you start doing larger rooms and start putting a ton of vegetation in there.

Bet me. I've only done this like.. you know.. how many times? And people pay me?

But like you said.. what do I know? I'm in Nor.Cal near the Triangle if you ever care to gtg and chat about this stuff over a nice bowl of my 99% dry sift.

Cheers, eh.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
No, you really don't. You're 23 and this is what, your 3rd grow man?

You're going to learn real quick that any type of 8/10" fan won't be enough once you start doing larger rooms and start putting a ton of vegetation in there.

Bet me. I've only done this like.. you know.. how many times? And people pay me?

But like you said.. what do I know? I'm in Nor.Cal near the Triangle if you ever care to gtg and chat about this stuff over a nice bowl of my 99% dry sift.

Cheers, eh.

I didnt expect everyone to lick my butt, but coming in and being a condescending prick doesnt make you sound anything less than childish. Question; How is1 Big fan pulling 2000CFM equate to more oxygen than 3 small fans pulling ~2000CFM? Besides being 2x as much as 3 Small fans

I didnt expect everyone to lick my butt, but coming in and being a condescending prick doesnt make you sound anything less than childish. Question; How is1 Big fan pulling 2000CFM equate to more oxygen than 3 small fans pulling ~2000CFM? Besides being 2x as much as 3 Small fans

It's different because you don't have 2000cfm coming in. You have HALF THAT, and you're attempting to somehow pretend that having a huge negative pressure is somehow a good thing.

Hint: It's not.

3 months from now you're going to be right back in this thread telling me I was 100% correct and that intake wasn't nearly enough.

I'm not being a dick. I'm saving you fucking years and thousands of dollars worth of wasted time.

If you want to blow the next year or two and a few runs coming to the very same conclusion on your own, I truly applaud that.

I'll be here for your next thread when you tell everyone I was right.

Cheers. If you don't believe me, please do some research on cannabis biology. 12kw and no oxygen isn't going to be pretty.

But yeah.. i've never done this before, nor been here probably like.. you know.. 15 or 20x prior. Or fixed tons of rooms of people just like you.

Regular 8" fans aren't even enough for barely 4kw and 30 plants. If you think you're going to run 12kw and an 8" intake or exhaust i've got some news for you dude...

LOL