What's new

DIY pro style carbon filter

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Going with a cool tube instead of a reflector could save you some space.

I know what ya mean about being short nerved and broke trying to set up a grow. Can be VERY frustrating.

bugbud63

can33

can33

I have a can 33 with a 4''vortex,these scubbers look the same.Can i blow thew a can33?I really need the room in my cab;the can33 is about6''around and a wopping 2' long.Also how can you blow thew these diy filters when the prefilter is on the outside?Thanks for any feedback.

reachtdk

RM - aquagrower said:
i know what you're saying, "but RM, how are we gonna get the carbon in there".

well. i'm pretty sure that SiS put the carbon in right before he installed the 7" cap, but seems to me that it would be a PITA to change the carbon at a later time, so i drilled a 3" hole (with a hole saw) in the cap before installation.

i was also carefull to leave a 2" gap between the bottom of the inner core and the bottom of the 7" cap. figured it would be pretty easy to fill the filter (pour and shake, pour and shake, etc.) later, as well as do carbon changes as needed.

i'm not filling this one now, as it just ain't needed at the present time, but after i do, i'll simply cut a 6" round disk, and screw it over the hole.

here's one last pic, looking down thru the filter

1. just read through the thread and im wondering if the activated carbon goes inside the inner ring, or inbetween the inner/outer ring?

2. also how much carbon should i put in? i believe it was said that i wanted 1"-2". like a 1-2" border inside?

thanks again!!

Lucky

the carbon goes inbetween the inner and outer rings.

This is a tried and tested design that works great. The key is in the panty hose lol
and definatly suggest rinsing the carbon!
Also it is reversible to either suck or push air through it, but you need a fan with enough cfm, if blowing air out the filter and having heat issues then sucking through will be more efficent. make sense?
hope to see more DIY pics.
peace

reachtdk

bounty29 said:
Alright, what if I were to modify the design a bit, and instead of having a place to fill with the activated carbon "pellet" things, I just make get the one 4" duct, make a 12" screen extension of the 4" duct, and put a cap on that. You can buy rolls of activated carbon air filtering at www.filters-now.com and cut pieces out of that to fit your filter, and just wrap it around and zip tie it in place. It seems like, since that was designed for air to flow through it, that it might not require a centrifugal blower, and could work with some higher power 120mm PC fans.

I was thinking about building a 12" long carbon scrubber, and if I bought one roll for $39.99, I could get 20 sheets that could wrap around my filter. If I had to double wrap it, I could get 10 changes of the filter for $40.00, which seems pretty economical to me.

Any thoughts?

anybody tried these sheets of activated carbon? the idea of them seems so much easier than the pellets...

reachtdk

Ryoko_The_Demon said:
There's no need to be messing with those pellets, you can buy sheets of carbon filter from the hardware store and just wrap that stuff around your tube. Pellets are not practical for filtering air, they are best for liquids. That's why they are at the pet store. Air purifiers have carbon filter sheets in them and you can get replacement sheets at a store like Home Depot.

two different people recommended the usage of these "sheets." would love a reply from someone that has used these..

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I've tried the sheets, they didn't work. Maybe if you layered them up four or 5 deep, they may work, but at $20 per, I'll stick with my regular carbon.

Bonzo

Veteran
Hiya Lucky,nice scrubber, are you pushing or pulling and what size is that fan : 4" 6"? also what cfm and are you using carbon pellets, one more question what size room are you scrubbing?

thanks

bonz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
i wonder how i could build a huge scrubber. can we put our heads together and come up with a way to build a massive one that eould scrub the hell out of the air? the big one at the hydro shop are like $400.

Green Force

swampdank said:
i wonder how i could build a huge scrubber. can we put our heads together and come up with a way to build a massive one that eould scrub the hell out of the air? the big one at the hydro shop are like $400.

lol its easy more carbon bigger ducting soo like 36" tall 8" inner 10" outer simply use 8" cap and 10" cap extra roll of mesh 10" - 8" reducer its easy that would be for an 8" vortex maybe have to make it taller then 36" but u get the idea
im sure there is a calculation some where around google to figuer out cfm to carbon area or just get the specs from the hydro store one and copy it =P

melon

Does it work like the one from the shop ? Is it better to buy a new one or make one ? because i dont want any unwanted smells come out of my closet.

LifeLess

Veteran
well i hope this works. Here the one i just put together. Took about 2-3 hours and total cost minus the carbon was 35 dollars. Its 5'' x 30'' the inner core is 1 inch. Ill post my results. Peace LL

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
krustytheclown said:
BTW, the clone room shouldn't smell

ROTFL!!!!

Sorry, I know this thread is old but WOW.

Definitely not growing what I've got. This baby is stinky and never been out of veg yet. Can't wait...... *drooool*