What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bengies 150w cab

bengie187

Zealious: :yoinks:........Oh shit im had :Bolt:......

Hahaha nope if your commmenting on my avatar its pauly shore BUUUUUUDDYY......Ive been told i kinda looks like him so funny

bengie187

Day 65/65
Temps 76/80/72 flower/mom/room
Res 28uC/14 ppm/20.5 C/ 6,95 PH

:woohoo:....So the days are coming ot and end and i have started cutting and sampleing my handy work....Yesh.....My report so far is that Its smell is Very fruity and tastes so smooth even without the flush....:yoinks:....I didint think i would turn out so much or what i consider to be lots.......Tommorow im gonna finish cutting ands trimming off the extrat fan leaves and put them out ot hang for a week then be placed into the my windbox So i guess ill show you guys and gals my nexest addition to the process
The windbox

Not much going on there just a rubbermaid mostly streathish...even though i do not have a air scrubber for the exhaust yet.....hoping it wont smell to much......Zeliouses pecil holder design would prolly work for this and am gonna go shopping for supplies tommorow.....but ill show yous what i have cut off tonight

and closups of each consecuatively

And finally a "scale" shot with a tape measure to show the size of them buds.....:yeahthats:

Well i hope you all are enjoying the show and tommorow i shall have the rest of the limbs cut trimmed photographed and wieghed......so exciting....much more than i wanted/expected on my first go around but Itll do:moon:

bengie187

Alrighty....its choppy chop day and i have done it....successfully grown my own plant and have much more than i expeceted to come out with.....First off a shot for the plant befroe the chop today..

It didnt really look like much in the photo but....it came out with 8 decent sized limbs to cut off her before the stalk was bear...
L1 28.52 grams and L2- 24.92 grams

This is L1-28.52g,L4-50.75g,L7- 49.23g,L3-32.12,L2-24.92

And finally the last photo of the rest in the Windbox L5-34.38g, L6-20-.30g, L8-27.62, and the rest odds and ends that had to be chopped off to wiegh 6,8

So in total stem and bud weight from my "test run" wet is
L1- 28.52
L2- 24.92
L3- 32.12
L4- 50.75
L5- 34.38
L6- 20.30
L7- 49.23
L8- 27.62

Grands total of 267.84 grams wet..:yoinks::woohoo:....Hoping to get about 25% dry weight so about 66 grams dry....not at all close to the 1g/watt most people are looking ot get but it far exceeded my first expectaitions:nanana: with myself.....a final update on the cure/dry in a week or so.....until then happy growing people:Bolt:

420chef

looks great and all but it definitely coulda stayed in there longer. keep us posted of the final dry weight once you snip the stems off..

bengie187

420chef- Thanks for stopping by was beginning to think i was just alking to myself again......:nanana: i was thinking it coulda stayed in longer but i dont/didnt really know the flowering time so i just set a date and cut her.....i also have modifications i wanna make and the money is there atm and prolly wont be in a cpl of weeks so chop chop....

bengie187

So a quick query....:chin:......I dried some of my stuff to more or less dry as fuck.....then put it into a jar to cure.....and now it kinda smells maybe of Chlorophyll is it done when this scent goes away???:1help:......

BTW "If you frech fry when you should pizza your gonna have a bad time" Thumper the cool SKi instructor, South park:pointlaug

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Watup bengie187? This is not an easy thing to describe so forgive me if I sound primitive.

Did your stems snap apart or just snap with the stem fibers holding together? I'm not sure if glass will improve completely dry weed or not. Although you want your buds dry enough not to mold in the jar, you need (some) core bud moisture to re hydrate the bud exterior. This helps to distribute the remaining moisture in the bud evenly.

Sounds like you have the "hay" smell, a homegrown, grassy smell that often comes with jarring weed too moist. I understand this isn't your situation and I find it perplexing. Did you greatly reduce N in flower AND flush before chop? I'm assuming soil, sorry about not knowing the details.

Without a hygrometer or some past experience, knowing when to jar is tricky. Burping frequency and duration will depend on the remaining moisture content in the bud.

In my case, the hay smell is most prevalent when I jar too moist. However, if yours is toasty dry, I'm not sure burping will help the smell. Burping is a way to eliminate excess moisture in a controlled manner.

I've read where some will introduce moister and repeat the process. Not knowing the moisture content of your bud, I hesitate to suggest throwing a piece of apple of lettuce as is (might) cause mold.

Hopefully some of your guests will respond. I'm no good for those things I don't fully understand. I have managed a few successful dry and cures and am sure you'll do the same. Just takes a little practice.

bengie187

Disco- thanks for stopping in and replying....:woohoo:...:chin:.....I thought they were popcorn dry but after being in the jar overnight they were really really moist again so i pulled them out of the jar and then back in the wind box again......i have a couple of pictures of pretty much cured well what im tihnking is cured bud.....tell me what you think....its all a learnign experience.....

My only issue with this grow is that the buds are really light and whispy.....see photo 1....Any ideas on how to make them more tight and compact would be worth a listen....:1help:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
That looks like some frosty dank to me. Glad to hear it's not too dry. As the moisture dissipates, that bad smell should go with it.

I use active air drying too. Doesn't seem to hurt the quality if jarred before it gets too dry. This is my opinion, no facts to back me up on it.

E.C.Hope

Props by far but just an opinon, i would work on smaller plants or a bigger grow room/tent/clost/hall. It almost looks like half the plant is in darkness and not even receiving the minimal amount of light which will make it at least grow, not sit in a shadow wishing for some of that sweet bulb nectar. good grow. Be eazy

bengie187

Disco- Yeah its pretty frostyish which i know means it has to be good.....And it is ive been sampling a wee bit thus far that smell could be of hay and i hope its gonna be gone tommorow......:abduct:....

So right now i have 14 grams in small mason jars and the rest im gonna put in a large pickle shooting for only around 30 grams dried bud weight....like i said light nad whispy

E.C.Hope- Thanks for the good words....:chin:.....Im gonna do a scrog this second run which hopfully will keep the plant size down and cooltubing it in order to combat the slight penatration issue im having

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
bengie, I think I'm gonna SCROG next round too. I can SOG lots of lumber with buds on a stick but that doesn't ring me bell, lol.

bengie187

So ive got a little time on my hands today....hung over and all......:noway:.......so i have the same photo but in 3 different magnification
1st- 1.0x mag

2nd- 2.0x mag

3rd- 4.0x mag

bengie187

quick update.....without pics though..

I have decided my cab looks too shottyish.......so im gonna clean up my wiring and install 2 outlets one for the mom and one for the flower....and only have one chord running to a 120 outlet plug rather then 4 chords out to he powerbars underneath the unit which isnt the safest place for them as it is......also gonna head to micheals for the outer shell of my cooltubeand maybe if they have it the hash press.....dismantling the hps light wasnt too diffincult either rewiring it to incorperate a capisitor to get less amperage draw on the circut.....pics in a couple of days when the wiring and modifications are installed

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
bengie187, if you've already done the cap mod, please disregard the rest.

If you're growing at a residential setup. you're power factor probably isn't a financial concern. Commercial and industrial rates are based on power factor but residential is based on usage, not draw. The heavy draw at startup does not continue throughout the cycle. Even if your transformer is drawing 3+ amps, it's not using all and some is returned to the grid/socket. I'm no electrician but here's a retired electrical engineer and his thoughts on the subject:
:rasta:

I really hate to keep beating a dead horse, however, Sugabear got it 100% right in his previous quotes. Namely, it ain't gonna cost you nothing and has no bearing in a residential setting.

But don't take my word for it, I was only an Licensed Practicing Electrical Engineer for over 25 years before I retired. Instead here's a quote directly from BC Hydro, you know them, they provide most of the electricity to the fine folks in Canada....

"BC Hydro will add a surcharge to the electrical bill of commercial and industrial customers who do not maintain a power factor of at least 90 per cent. Customers can correct their low power factor through the proper selection, sizing and installation of capacitors."

The operative words here are INDUSTRIAL and COMMERCIAL. Their website also states that increased Power Factors do not lower residential bills or the KWH used in a residential setting. This same info has also been released "Edison International" they're the nice people that own and operate "Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station" the largest nuclear generating facility in the US. Just go to your own power companies website and do a search for "Power Factor", you'll more than likely come up with the same info. I checked PSE&G and Con-Ed and they both had similar data.

OK, that was my last comment on the subject. :deadhorse: SORRY.

:rasta:

bengie187

Disco- yeah finiancial gains isnt the worry its the load on the circut....it says on my ballast it runs at 4.2 amps without the cap so just my own wanting to do it.....

Zealious

curing buds.. join the club. Hard to master. I guess something that comes with practice. I find the grassy smell intense at first but slowly tapers off through the cure with lots of burping. I have tried sweating when stems were still slightly moist and sweating when stems were dry and snapy.. I did get less grass smell when dryer.. BUT I like my buds a little moister. Just watch for mold.. The grass is nitrogen. Its the leaves.. as the nitrogen breaks down in the plant the smell will go away from what i understand.. so just give it a nice cure and all should b well.

I have been considering using silica packets or rice in with the jars to absorb moisture.. might help with the grass smell. just another one of my experiments as well..

You could try one thing if ur willing.. put the buds into soft light for little while.. by a window. in theory this should help break down the nitrogen faster for you.

I suspect the main culprit was your early chop.. The plant natural starts burnning all its nitrogen reserves towards the end of its natural life cycle so if u miss this part u will have ur problem..

Choping is tricky. get a 30x lupe to look at the triches and learn to count cloudy to clear.

Dont chop by the calendar.. if it says 65days on the pack dont trust it. watch ur plants... You want to chop when the hairs are all turning amber an ther is no new growth. most buds pack on most of their weight towards the end of flowering so when you chop early you are really ripping your self off.

If you think its ready.. wait a week. also chop a little every week to find what gives you the best high for what ur looking for.. early chop is more sativa high fast and up.. a late chop is more body buzz indica... it has to do with the thc breakiing down into cbd..

Personaly i like the medicinal qualities of cbd so i chop late.

seriously tho get your self a 30x... u can get them off ebay cheap.

Zealious

but bengie. U did a great job. Those buds look fab. a lot better than my first grow.. Keep it up.. Just remember its a game of patience. and trial and error. dont give up.. and have fun.

Things I suggest for your next grow is.. better space manage ment.. with cabs every inc matters.. get the plants growing in a nice patern to maxamise space. use lst and super croping. ONe big tip I have for you is to get some blue light in that cab.. maybe a cuple 6500k cfls.. this will make ur plant stay a lot more compact and not stretch. during flower..

Trim those leaves.. mostly trim the old and dieing leaves but dont be afraid to trim healthy leaves.. the more light you get to your plant the better. do the smash... take a grill mesh or similar and smahs the bad boy down when it starts getting too tall. It might sound crude but the plant will adapt and u can really get more growth in that space. It will delay your flowering time a bit tho..

try rapid rooters.. the benificial microbes really get the plant to a great start.. and then use compost tea to keep the bactria going.. use a little molases.

dont chop too early.

Serious tho i think 6500k cfls will make a bid dif for you.. jsut watch your temps