What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites AKA The Borg

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
LOL one vial costs 40 euros here so that would be 40 euros times 10

a LITTLE too expensive

try 1 vial of TORQUE, 20 euros, enough to spray quite a few hectares, if used with a wetting agent [as should any spray, obviously] you kill 100%, eggs & all in one go.

normally not for sale to the public, it needs full safety protection to be worn.... it is used by the greenhouse industry, nothing sold in growshops usually is.....

norcalkell

Help!! I have left over avid and I NEED to know the shelf life.. Its scarry stuff and it works..

I have 1/2 of a quart mixed w/ water. What do I do w/ it???? any ideas.. I posted this previously and NO response..

Bugger!

I've just read 9 pages of this sticky, and there's still no definitive concensus as to what to treat your plants with when an infestation begins during the later flowering stage. I'm at 58 days of a 75-80 day flowering period, so there could be up to 3 weeks to go....

I noticed the beginnings about 5 days ago - no major damage yet but there's been a visible acceleration in their invasion speed over that time! :-(

I'm worried about the Borg, but I'm also woried about mould. GAH!

Think I'll risk a single spray of boiled tabbaco, just to hold 'em at bay.

Real shame - I'm only flowering two plants atm, but they're the best bloody plants I've ever grown up to this time!

Oh well, it's all valuable experience...

BeeBee

Hi,
I've had pretty good luck with BugZyme in the late flowering period. It's a seaweed-based mite control agent, perfectly safe, that smothers the mites like Neem Oil or insecticidal soap. I increased the circulation following each application (every 5 days or so) to dry the plants out rapidly.
However, my plants only flower for 49 days. I started spraying on day 35, and didn't have any mold.
Leftover Avid mix should be discarded. Pour it out onto a concrete driveway and let it evaporate. It's good only for about 4 hours.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
fyi, floramite has been available in the small 1oz bottles on ebay for 30 bucks shipped.... I snagged one a few weeks ago to keep around just incase. Freaking scary borg.

david98686

It's still on e-bay... I keep Avid and Floramite on hand just in case. Plants in the bud stage don't mind Avid too much, they hate Floramite. :joint:

K Double O

I dont understand all the confusion?? Floramite, Avid & all the other chemicals fail in comparison with the HOTSHOT PEST STRIPS in my opinion.

Depending on how bad they spread in flower. I used a lite dish soap wash for my girls and completely bleached my tents. Seriously. I havent seen the little freakers since I let a strip sit in my G-room for about 2-3 weeks. After that I tossed it. No more borg for my girls.

The over all yield suffered greatly I might add.

Being proactive is the key, maintaining a clean & healthy garden will go a long way in helping prevent them from coming back.

nephilthim

i ad the borg over for a visit untill ex showed up and put herself to work applying my bird and mite lice sparay active ingredient pyrethium and 1 other chemical sodium benzoate or something similar sounding.
she sprayed the pplants down wiped both sides of leaves turned her hands and white shirt stained with dead borg.
got a cutting that was probably infested,so checked them today after leaving them out of the shed (my 600 watt gromax conked out after switching bulb to new socket and hood )didn't seee any borg running round
so I cleaned the shed out and ten percent bleach solutioned everything in and outside shed thouroughly.ex recommended i apply witchazel,wait a few days then soapy water to kill the borg also she said rosemary is a natural solution to keep borg away.while recommending either bleach or ammonia to clean up veg/flower area.

does anyone have experience using Dr. Doom fogger and spray at like 5 weeks flower these guys are takin over and have just about speckled every leaf, i have tried neem oil at like 3 weeks, then I have been trying to wash them with water and they just keep getting worse I need help and fast please I dont wanna lose my crop.

relief

I'm fortunate to live in an area with army's of naturally occurring lady bugs (Japanese beetles). I can bring a plant home from a nursery (peach trees for example) and the beetles will cover the plants and trees within a few hours. It's amazing how fast they find them. Every leaf will have 10 to 20 of them until every parasite has been picked clean. Then it's like they disappear and I wont see them very often again until winter. They hibernate in my barn by the hundreds of thousands until spring.

I've never had a problem with the borg or any plant parasite for that matter, so I would suggest give lady bugs a try.

nola

Well fuck. I found the borg about 4 weeks from harvest.

I took my two plants and dipped them in a mild dish soap solution and then dipped them to wash off the residue (I hope). I also washed down the inside of my growbox and I'll do a more thorough job after these two are gone.

I can only hope they survive and the dishsoap doesn't ruin the harvest.

A

alpinestar

diluted alcohol spray
wait till dry

then sm90 (natural anti fungal and anti mite spray and deterrent)

wait till dry

then dont bug me (pyretherin spray)

let dry

put back into grow area and then spray outside of containers as well

respray every 2 to 5 days for 2 weeks to fully eliminate the mites

respray mothers every couple of weeks just for prevention

use this technique and only enter your grow area when completely clean, and the only thing living in your grow room will be the plants

Care Free 1

Veteran
I have had good success in battling the "The Borg" indoors and outdoors. But not without cost.

In my area, you just take a plant outside for a few hours and there is a good chance that the red little suckers will find a vulnerable plant to latch on.

It appears if you want pest free plants, you have to spend countless hours of hand grooming to remove them, or use chemicals.

I chose the natural approach and use no foliar chemicals on my plants to rid them. I found that most times my infestations happen early in the grow during veg, so now I take the proactive approach and spend many hours each week just inspecting every plant top to bottom.

If mites (or other pests)are found, I will take the plant to an isolated area and set the pot on some laid out newspapers. I use a good light and a hand microscope to identify the infected area early in the infestation. I use spray can of those computer air dusters to blow off each infected leave top and bottom, and I continue this process daily until its over, or the next attack.

Also, there truly are mite resistant plants. I have several Thunk going outdoors right now that are mite free, while others are not so lucky.

I found it very easy to use a wide telescope eyepiece to inspect the plants for pests and other things. Just turn it backwards and it allows you to get in tight areas easy.

It's not really that much work to keep the plants pest free without chemicals if your garden relatively small. Lazyness and allowing pets in your indoor garden are a cause of many gardeners downfall. Stay on top of it early and dont let it get out of hand and you will get them through to finish.

budsdoneright

I have done some research on avid and its labeled that it can be used up to 10 days before the harvest, however as a smoker myself i believe i wont smoke or produce anything i wouldn't smoke myself. So i mix a 5 gallon bucket with avid+water and turn upside down and dunk the entire clone till about the rock wool edge and thats the best prevention method for me. (try to avoid dunking the rock wool/ oasis cube to avoid p.h. change from the avid.

Also your room should be the cleanest room in your entire house. Prevention is the best method!!. drain those dirty reservoirs too and avoid t hose fungus gnats. I HATE BUGS!!

dtremayne

I have 2 small seedlings that popped up about a week ago and it is my first outdoor experiment in the area. within the week i got tiny white mites. I dont know if they are bad or not, but im expecting the worse, so how do i get rid of them for cheap? they arent on the plants,but they are on my pot around the soil. i dont think the plants are big enough for them to feed from, only 4 leaves on each and about an inch tall. any ideas?

Calimed

Veteran
Anyone try lemon juice spray? I read this is a natural method and have been trying it of only organic grow. It seems to have killed a lot, but there are some eggs still under the leaves. I am spraying them with water a few times a day as well and it seems to be helping. The got one of my plants pretty good but little to no spread on the others.

SOTW GTR 3

safer soap....

lemon juice is an acid, not good for your leaves.

safer soap is certified organic and @ $4 a bottle its a good investment. cleared up my infestation in like a week. took about 3 treatments.

peace
Goodluck

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anyone got experience with predator mites and how well they work? was thinkin bout ordering some......

Latest posts

Latest posts