What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

AZ steez

....is still good to use it has a white inside i want to use it because its years old not sure if its bad or not? please respond asap so flowers can flower thank you ^^^

kobodera

Hi

Look out what you buy people !!!!!

Not only the tents are toxic but pvc floor linings too. I just found out after 3 month of struggle that my pvc floor lining was killing my plants. 5 times in a row i was planting new clones and they were getting yellow time after time, sometime like week ago i found out that it was my pvc floor causing that. Whats worst after removing that pvc yellowing its still happening, that toxic crap got in my room and my equipment. I have spent serious cash on that room, i have lots of other non toxic pvc in it like grow tables, air intakes, fans, drippers and other. I have vented the romm for 24 hours constant but yellowing still ocures. Do you think i can vent out that shit or it stayed in my room for ever and i have to trash all my equipment.? i dont know what to do, maybe someone here have solution or have problem like that before.

Thanks

OreoGrows

My plants have been in their tent for about 3 days and show no signs of ailment but this morning I noticed a faint plastic/Vaseline smell somewhere in the room but couldn't figure out where. Is that the smell of out gassing? I have a pretty generic tent

AlterEcho

Hey guys,

Thought I would give some updates and thoughts about the off gassing.

Back in 2009, I had my tent replaced by HydroHut. I had explained my concerns about off gassing (and my results) and they replaced the tent. No arguments, no long discussions, just replaced the tent. Since then, I have not had one issue of yellowing of leaves...without some explanation. The old tent was cut up and taken to the dump. So, my hats off to HydroHut and I have purchased two more to go with the tent they sent me. My friend, who is the veggie grower, also has not had any more issues with the new tents.
After 4 years of watching other gardens, I do have some thoughts. Some gardens had the same tents as other people here. One thing did seem consistent with and when problems arose. Heat and light. Some gardens were only running 2x600 watt lights with a consistent low ambient temp. And for the most part they were not seeing a lot of issues. The gardens that were burning 3x600 or 2x1000 and high ambient temps were seeing the off gassing issues. Now, this isn't 100% but was noticeable. It seems heat, and or, light quickly brought about off gassing. The only thing I have not been able to confirm is whether you can lower temp/light and lessen the off gassing.
For the guys that are wondering about what to replace in their gardens (equipment, wise). Anything that is plastic, or rubber, is going to be suspect. I would try moving to mylar instead of panda plastic. And see what people are saying about the different versions of tents. Like I said, I am happy with my HydroHut. But, I am sure there are others who make good tents, as well. Also, watch your ambient temps and heat/light. This will keep your product from breaking down and hopefully stop the off gassing.

Good luck, guys...

-=AE=-

I see this thread has been down for a bit but I must ask... Are these offgassing symptoms?
I am a seasoned soil gardener and recently went from a wood framed and paneled room to a Jarden. Ive had people I respect and trust recommend the Jarden so I gave it a shot.
I knew my soil needed tweaking so initially I tried correcting with AACT's, while my new soil batches were composting. But then I used my new soil....2x Sameexact clones, container size and shape, everything the same except I flowered one in the tent, and 1 in my wood framed room. The one in the tent was dyeing and the one in the room is thriving! Whiskey Tango Helen?
Ill get pics of the 2 pre 98 Bubbas from both rooms soon, but, for now.... This is Bodhis Yo Mama suffering for believed offgassing

Thanks very much for looking and perhaps taking the time to reply.

Attachments

• 036edit.jpg
    036edit.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 59

Skunkxx

Good info.I bought a Mtn gearsmith tent just out of the blue.
The price is what got me 86 bucks I figured I would use to camp in if nothing else lol.

I havent seen much about this brand.
If anyone has the bad news please let me know.

I see alot of talk about gassing off but havent seen much on what to do to help get pass if besides just time.

Thanks
Skunkxx

rastas

@fourwiseeyes its not offgassing, looks like a phosphorus deficiency..
Fix by using one of these products according to your preference:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Chemical

Advanced nutrients Bloom (0-5-4)
Vita Bloom (0-7-5)
BC Bloom (1.1-4.4-7)
GH Flora Bloom (0-5-4)
GH Maxi Bloom (5-15-14)
GH Floranova Bloom (4-8-7)
Dyna-Gro Bloom (3-12-6)
Fox Farm Tiger Bloom (2-8-4)
Awsome Blossums

Organic

Dr. Hornby's Iguana Juice Bloom (4-3-6)
Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Bloom (.5-1.5-2)
Fox Farm Big Bloom (.01-.3-.7)
Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1)
Pure Blend Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Pure Blend Pro Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Buddswell (0-7-0)
Sea Island Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0)
Indonesian Bat Guano (0-13-0)
Rainbow Mix Bloom (1-9-2)
Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1)
BIO BLOOM (2-6-3.5)
AGE OLD BLOOM (5-10-5)
ALASKA MORBLOOM (0-10-10)
METANATURALS ORGANIC BLOOM (1-5-5)
[/FONT]

I have a Growlab by Homebox and havent faced any offgassing problems.

Last edited:
It most certainly was off gassing. Got a refund on the tent from the manufacturer, used soil directly from the tent of death, as I've come to call it. No till style. Pulled a dead plant from the tent. Placed a healthy clone of the same variety in the container and placed in my wood built room, in which I've never had issues. The plant took off with only a few AACT through bloom and produced very well.

That's why off gassing is so damn hard to identify. I never did get the pics of the bubba clones that grew inoppositerooms... Maybe I'll try to do that.

You did read my post with all that info right?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FourWize...

Did you id the component responsible for the off gassing issue & did you replace the Jardin?

I was just considering getting one but this has me concerned?

Good ta see ya around. ;)

When I talked with them they said of nearly a million sold only 5 complaints like mine. In limited in my response asI'm in a phon... But iI will dig through some e mails and get that information so I I do not give bad info....

I think you are more than likely "safe" but I would always go lumber after my experience....

The component (chemical) responsible is "phthalate"... I just read my emails to and from the distributer and manufacturer... There is valid information so after I edit some personal info out ill post the pertaining information.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
years back I went through hell with hydrohut,even replacement material was fucking bad....good luck all

Cameltom

so i believe i have run into an off-gassing situation.
i have been a grower for 10 years
i have been trying to grow in a tent for the last year with hardly any luck. There's been something haunting me in the tent this unknown presence. i had tried everything to avail.(changing soil,strain,Nuts,clone,seed,lighting,air flow... and i kept going over the list again and again and again. At this point I freak out and build a grow box out of wood. I grow a set in the grow box and there doin awesome. I start to feel like i have my green thumb back. Its been a few weeks now and the plants start to get crowded so i move them into my tent. The next day first thing in the morning i go to check on them half of them are wilting. so i go through my check list. they dont need water. so i ask my self what did i do.... i couldnt really think of anything so i waited a day. now they all look droopy for no reason. I think to myself again what did i do?!?! I moved them into the tent. so in a freakout sort of state i (riped down the tent) like Flash. one day goes by they all look better again i dont even think it was 24 hours.
the tent i used was AGROMAX XL what do u suggest i do?

C

CannaBuilding