What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

phthalates/BPA poisoning, cheap chinese flexi black tube offgassing

C

CannaBuilding

Hi all,

Had some weird symptoms, leaves curling upwards, with a nasty grey color then turning yellow, was happening all over the plants, and only to the plants that were being drip fed through some cheap chinese black flexi tube, which i suspect is made from PVC that leeches out phthalates.

3 other plants that are being hand watered from the same nutrient mix, never showed these symptoms. I tried everything, Calibrating ph pens, flushing, increasing nutes to 700ppm, etc etc.

Then it hit me, remember reading a thread on here about some tubing made with PVC that leeches out chemicals into the nutrient solution, with the same symptoms. So i got rid of the drip system, and started watering by hand. Symptoms stopped and plants are recovering, but after alot of the leaves have been damaged :( .

Question is should i flush again? to leech out the BPA/phthalates from the medium? I've flushed with 1 gal of water (they are in 1.5gal pots) and the new growth is all perky, but was thinking maybe thats not enough?

Also we need to have some sort of sticky in this subforum about cheap flexi tube, cause im sure many other users have had these problems, and there are many threads about this problem. Im sure it will save alot of people some problems in the near future.

This is about 1-2 days after i put the plants under the drip system, before the drip system, they were fine, with no signs of yellowing dying leaves, was using the same nutrient mix and environment was the same.

Strain is World of seeds Space

Other plant, strain WOS strawberry blue

Here are 3 hash bomb from bomb seeds being watered from the same nutrient solution, but not through the dripper system

Here are the leaves after 10 days under the dripper system
Strawberry blue leaves

Space leaves

more info as people have had the same problem on this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=188434 , but no one has really taken pics of the problem.

Peace, happy growing.

Last edited:

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like a little overfertillisation but notting too serious imo

C

CannaBuilding

looks like a little overfertillisation but notting too serious imo

Hi mate,

Thanks for dropping by, and for the info.

I was feeding at 500ppm/1.0ec and plants had been vegged for 65 days? I seriously cant see that being over fertilization, Im feeding younger plants the same solution, only vegged 40 days and they are ok. I had to up the ec to 1.2-1.3ec as they werent getting enough food (the big plants), but now that im hand watering with 1.3ec they have recovered and all that yellowing/greying of the leaves has subsided, so has the wilting, and they are receiving more water than when on the drip system.

Its the tubing 100 percent and i have grown strawberry blue before, she is a heavy eater, she needs 1.2-1.6ec depending on flowering stage.

peace.