What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is the biggest El Niño on record, and a killer La Niña is coming

EasyGoing

Sorry Easy, hard to take political hacks like Glen Beck seriously when it comes to "facts". Even if their heart is in the right place--they will always be agenda orientated and see things through that political filter.

No problem. I like to post stories from the blaze, or glenns show it self because it always shows the references. You may not like Glenn, but the guest I highlighted in that interview is most likely the most respected meteorologist that isn't a man made global warming alarmist. Take it for what it's worth, but don't knock Glenn for the facts his journalist or guests bring.

Or you could just post up crap with no quotes or no reference. Like Water does...... At least I give people the opportunity to think for themselves, and evaluate the source.

BTW, you should really learn up about Glenn. Lots of misinformation out there. Also, wouldn't it be political to not listen to Glenn because you think he is political? When it comes to news clips like the one I posted?

Last edited:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
No problem. I like to post stories from the blaze, or glenns show it self because it always shows the references. You may not like Glenn, but the guest I highlighted in that interview is most likely the most respected meteorologist that isn't a man made global warming alarmist. Take it for what it's worth, but don't knock Glenn for the facts his journalist or guests bring.

Or you could just post up crap with no quotes or no reference. Like Water does...... At least I give people the opportunity to think for themselves, and evaluate the source.

BTW, you should really learn up about Glenn. Lots of misinformation out there. Also, wouldn't it be political to not listen to Glenn because you think he is political? When it comes to news clips like the one I posted?

Let me say it differently, I don't follow political hacks--regardless of political affiliation. You see, I have a brain and able think, reason and make up my own mind. Given the option of reading the actual "detail" of a particular matter or a "summary" (written by a political hack)...I choose the former. Those that pontificate for a living (which Beck does) will always be biased in their thinking...since their words affect their pocketbook.

The advantage of being neither Rep or Dem; I call "stupid", stupid. Make a list of all the smart people in the universe, and ask yourself, "could Glenn Beck be on anyone's shortlist?" What are his credentials?...he has none, no alphabet soup behind his name, no college degree, he wrote a few books and yaks for a living. IMO, we have too many yakkers and not enough "doers".

well, if the father gives a bitchslap to a crazy son to make him come down again... some people would call this love..

EDIT: rest was too far from this topic... i removed my post

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Are you thanking God for the devastation in Texas? What a low life thing to say.

EG, I do not accept a god that causes weather to punish some and reward others, nor do I accept a god that favors one person or one side on a battlefield. I do recall, however, a bevy of evangelic preachers claiming hurricanes Sandy and Katrina were god's punishment for the mortal sins of the people of those cities. And now they are out again blaming Houston for the devastation due to their homosexual former mayor. Further, I do accept human culpability in the causes of these and many other bad effects we have inflicted on ourselves. Do you understand the word "irony?"

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I find it odd that people that carry "no hate" signs and talk of "no hate"...are the same group that act, talk and behave as if they have a monopoly on that particular emotion.

seriously sry I wanted to be rude, to show of how smart i am.
but again, when everybody is equal many want to be more equal than others! this was usual example i think.
and its not hate to tell unconvinient and ovious truth.. its selfishnes
#anyways
actually the whole world is looking at america more fearfull and anxious than on north korea now from what i see.
point1:if USA is not stable=money market of the world is not stable= every other nation in the world starts buying more foreign values and gold instead of dollar..
point2: in korea you have one major asshole, if we can deal with him we can deal with nkorea. ->usa many many assholes, trump can say what he wants tv will show sth different and george sorros will say different again.. and you know the streets... riots and protests with stonethrowers.. we aint got no weapon in asia or europe but US peps have lota gear at home.. bullet is silly, can hit ya

some peolpe want to hurt trump, well hes the president and you are hurting your wonderful country and reputation of it. (because of selfishnes and showing off fake tollerance) you should wait a few years and go electing again like normal and not like ukraine or central afrika riot for another goverment. but like somebody said IRONY, the G.Sorros bumerang is coming back(if you know what i mean)
imagine chinese, french, russian or italans, germans running on the street crashing monuments of historical value, spitting on the winners of ww2 for example or on napoleons grave (altough everyone knows that this guy was sick bastard..)
I dont say i am anything better, i am saying we all have to grow up in our mindset. Especially me, i still have not the ability to shut up when it would be better for my reputation. but i really can´t care

no offense and we are here to grow some delicious herb called canabis sativa, thats why i say excuse me again!

EasyGoing

EG, I do not accept a god that causes weather to punish some and reward others, nor do I accept a god that favors one person or one side on a battlefield. I do recall, however, a bevy of evangelic preachers claiming hurricanes Sandy and Katrina were god's punishment for the mortal sins of the people of those cities. And now they are out again blaming Houston for the devastation due to their homosexual former mayor. Further, I do accept human culpability in the causes of these and many other bad effects we have inflicted on ourselves. Do you understand the word "irony?"

And I am the political one........... :moon:

12 years without a hurricane, first one hits and "Further, I do accept human culpability in the causes of these and many other bad effects we have inflicted on ourselves". So 12 years has nothing to do with global warming, first storm everybody should recognize humans are responsible........ I don't follow, sorry. I don't speak Global Warming religion.

EasyGoing

I find it odd that people that carry "no hate" signs and talk of "no hate"...are the same group that act, talk and behave as if they have a monopoly on that particular emotion.

Words have meaning.......

If you can say one thing, yet do another, you have already fooled a percentage of the population. You think the abortion movement would have done so well if instead of "right to choose" they used "right to murder?" The Democratic party have mastered this, but I always ask, at what point have they over played their hand? Seems like that boat passed years ago, but nobody seemed to notice.

EasyGoing

If anybody needs evidence of the hysteria that comes with weather, just go back and read the thread. Heck, just read the first page. The first page talks about how in 2015, El nina will create "Godzilla rains" in California, and create wars in third world countries. When people are predicting, it seems logical. However, why when nothing that was once predicted comes true, do people still listen? Godzilla rains? Wars? Fear mongering to the extreme.

therevverend

Veteran
It's not true that the current weather modeling is inaccurate. It is very accurate.
They have predicted the course of the hurricanes accurately. Saving a lot of $$ and lives.
The long term forecasts, for el Nino and the like are quite accurate as well. The five and ten day forecasts are quite useful. Weather is chaotic they are not 100% correct every time but it is right most of the time.
The primary reason is the US military. They spend big $$ because they have to have accurate predictions. If they're going to shoot a missile half way around the world accurately they need to have precise data to get it there. They spend billions on weather satellites around the globe.
If they're planing an operation to land troops in Africa three days from now they need accurate forecasts. Or else billions in equipment will be destroyed and lives will be lost. They also need accurate long term strategies for places where weather is changing the most, Africa and the middle east. The difference in prediction models between the first gulf war and today is astounding.

therevverend

Veteran
Someone was referencing the el Nino of 2015 as an example of how 'they got it wrong' by predicting how disastrous it would be.

The el Nino of 2015 was disastrous. Quote from wikpedia:

The 2014–16 El Niño event influenced tropical cyclone activity around the world, where it contributed to record breaking seasons in the Central Pacific and Australian tropical cyclone basins. By contrast, it limited Atlantic hurricane activity, producing strong vertical wind shear, increased atmospheric stability, stronger sinking motion and drier air across the tropical Atlantic.[38] The Central Pacific basin saw its most active tropical cyclone season on record with 16 tropical cyclones recorded during 2015.[38][39] Within the Southern Hemisphere, the El Niño pushed tropical cyclone activity in the South Pacific Ocean eastwards, with activity flourishing near Vanuatu, Fiji and Tonga

And the impact:
The El Niño event affected millions of people around the world, including in Africa, Central America, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands.[48] These effects included below or above-average rainfall, flooding, increased food insecurity, higher malnutrition rates and devastated livelihoods.[48] The El Niño event also contributed to the Earth's warming trend, with 2014 and 2015 being two of the warmest years on record.[49][50][51] Over 60 million people face hunger, malnutrition in 2016 due to drought effects influenced by ENSO, with Africa worst hit, Indochina facing severe drop in food production, and Ethiopia counting 10 million people at risk.[52]

St. Phatty

attachment.php

I understand people not wanting to step into the Climate Change debate.

I think a good way to side-step the BS is to focus on realities on the ground, e.g. ocean surface temperature (that first chart), and wildfire situations (combustible fuel & fire starters).

Back in 2005 (Katrina & Rita) I remember emailing with enviro. profs etc., reading the articles they sent me etc.

One of the things that stood out was, the probability of hurricanes increases vastly as surface water temperatures rise above 80 degrees F.

That 88 degree reading off of Key West is as much a danger sign - during Hurricane Season - as anything coming off the news wires.

From
https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof_tmap.html

As far as wildfires, we're seeing plenty of examples of that but most of the fires seem like 'normal burns'. Of course, for families that have to evacuate with farm animals, they may not want to hear about how 'normal' it is.

About wildfires - CO2 levels affect plant growth. CO2 levels are currently 15 ppm above what Ed Rosenthal recommended in grow books 25 years ago (389 ppm).

Every year, a new crop of baby plants get MORE CO2 love -world-wide- than Cannabis plants raised by CO2 supplementing growers 25 years ago.

That plant growth DOES affect wildfire dangers.

(Therefore, Man-made Climate Change is quite real.)

Attachments

• irma_1.jpg
    irma_1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 11

therevverend

Veteran
Obviously the weather changes. It is not the same as it was 30 years ago. And 30 years from now it will be different then it is now. It is always changing, the earth is a dynamic living planet.
Whether it is man made or not is for a different thread. Because it turns into a political debate. This thread is about how weather is affecting outdoor growing conditions for outdoor growers. Or it should be. Unfortunately it has evolved into something else.
As soon as man made climate change comes up it turns into a debate about how what person or politician or corporate interest or oil company views things. And how it skews things to support their own political agenda. I am not interested in this and it is a waste of my time. We are adults, we can make up our own minds. If you want a debate about it, start a different thread.
Right now there are record wildfires in Washington state. It is literally snowing ash. You can see the particles floating through the air. Plants are covered in ash, you shake them and it's like tipping over an ashtray. Cars are covered in ash. My grandmother is in her 90's. Never seen it before in her life. The sun and moon are dim and orange. Air quality is terrible the smell of smoke is strong when you step outside. The entire state is smogged in.
Not sure how it measures up record wise but the lack of rain has caused very low humidity. The state is a tinder box which is unusual. The clouds that blew through a week ago caused a number of lightning strikes without much rain. All these fires are burning uncontrollably.
While the extra CO2 is useful I doubt there is enough to outweigh the effect of the sun getting blotted out. This is probably the last streak of 85 degree plus weather. And it's getting wasted because of the smoke filter.

oldchuck

Veteran
I've been wondering about the heat energy pulled out of the ocean by something like a massive hurricane. A hurricane is fueled by heat. The warmer the ocean it passes over the more intense it gets. I'll have to get around to researching this. My question is what happens to all that heat? I wonder if there is any chance it can contribute it any net decrease in ocean temperatures. Can it escape into space? I don't see how it can but maybe... it would help.

igrowone

Veteran
I've been wondering about the heat energy pulled out of the ocean by something like a massive hurricane. A hurricane is fueled by heat. The warmer the ocean it passes over the more intense it gets. I'll have to get around to researching this. My question is what happens to all that heat? I wonder if there is any chance it can contribute it any net decrease in ocean temperatures. Can it escape into space? I don't see how it can but maybe... it would help.

a hurricane is a giant heat pump, the heat is transferred to the atmosphere
warmer air might transmit more energy up into space, but i expect it's a lot more complicated than that

Latest posts

Latest posts