What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tony's silver thiosulfate notes

NIKT

This is most likely a polygenic trait. A fairly wide range of variation with the conditions heavily influencing the frequency of appearance, especially those with little male flowers. The technique doesn't really matter at all.

It is selectable, resistance to sex change influenced by the growth conditions. Selection of offspring, multiple, not single screening. This technique was applied to cucumber e.g.

Possibility of obtaining fertile pollen is also "selectable". The text of GW pharma _ there is one sentence on the subject _ relating to the fertility of the CBD line.

The results of crossing monoecious and dioecious forms are known. Industrial varieties _ obtained results show that this is inherited on many genes. Obtained variability of forms in the first generation proves it very clearly. The results vary depending on the selection of components for crossing.

Polygenic inheritance with the norm of genotype response. Growth conditions strongly influence the appearance of male flowers, some plants have a low or no need for any disturbances anymore. [as well as specially bred industrial intersex forms where there are no male ones at all]

Polygenic inheritance, many genes influencing the frequency of showing intersex forms. This fits best with the observed effects. Analogy to cucumber :) A similar mechanism, but here with clearly separated sex chromosomes.

Roots ??

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/th...in-hemp.21202/

2.gif

rather it is called => The Norm of Reaction .

For example, if plants that easily change sex are selected as a pollen source, this indicates a low reaction threshold. Which, in turn, may be related to the frequency of occurrence of monosexual plants in subsequent generations.

The selection of more difficult sex-changing plants was recommended as a method of selecting plants for feminised lines. Photoperiod torture, first method of development. In the case of cucumber, it is likely that the lowest doses of STS were used to screen the population, at least there are reports of such in the literature.

In the case of, for example, the use of Ga3 on a large number of plants, application of it via the roots, theoretically one would expect selection of plants with a low reaction norm. Ga3 on its own was rather much less effective as a gender changer. Rather large doses with strong side effects. Often at low rates, apart from strong growth, nothing.

Comparative presumptions. This picture, for example, Very high dose Ga3. Very strong effects, including reduction of leaf area and change of leaf structure.

40.jpg

The male flowers did not appear at all. When attaching two : sts and Ga3, male flowers would basically always appear. All forms of silver are much more effective than it, Ga3 does not always produce male flowers, rather high doses only.

I don't know what people do or how, but if they use a technique that works, for example, on 10% of fed plants, they will select pieces that can potentially produce offspring easily showing a male flower without externally giving hormones.

If we are looking for any relationship between the number of intersexes in the obtained offspring and the techniques used. Rather, you would have to look at this: potential selection of plants that may yield more offspring with the trend. When using as a pollen source of plants that change sex easily with a less certain technique, selection of plants with a low reaction norm can be expected. What is embedded in the genes of the plants we change sex, from the mere possibility of obtaining fertile pollen to the frequency of showing intersexes later.

If you choose pollen donors from plants that produce male flowers at higher doses, and are, for example, relatively resistant to sex change after Ga3, in my opinion, in this case, the probability of hermaphords occurrence in subsequent generations is lower. Same selection as for any other trait.

It seems to me that, from a purely practical point of view, the single spray technique is the most convenient. I have descriptions from a seedbank in the Netherlands, they where spray "buckets" in multiple repetitions. Probably very dilute solutions: no concentrations were given. I don't know why so: time-consuming and rather reminiscent of the techniques described for CS.

Methods for Ga3 _ descriptions _ have been available online for 20 years. At least _ their effectiveness was not 100% : with strong side effects, which are basically absent after STS.

Combining these substances makes sense, breaking up dense inflorescences. Potentially useful for seed production under field conditions. Better pollen release. It was tested by someone, I don't know with what effects. In general, some people have been producing feminized seeds not under lamps, but simply in the field.

As already mentioned, the hopes to improve pollen fertility have not come true. Otherwise, no improvement was obtained in the experiment. This does not mean that it will not improve your fertility somewhat otherwise. Only tests, in the case of cucumbers, I think fertility is better under STS, I don't remember, it was searched too long ago. The STS method works not only for parthenocarpic cucumbers and hemp. European hops reacted in the same way. This works for most dioecious plants, sometimes the opposite way in a few cases.

For example, it is impossible to obtain fertile pollen in white sapwood, as the genetic changes between male and female plants have gone too far. [some crazy people were playing with other genres during the tests, sometimes repeating tests from the literature, sometimes not]

Probably some scientific literature on the subject will appear in some time. Time and partial legalization.

The funny thing is that usually people who produced seeds commercially were not willing to share their experiences. And it really turned out that it is simply enough to replace the word cucumber with hemp, and apply all techniques for parthenocarpic cucumbers. Nothing new - just variations on recipes that were available before.

The "high-dose" technique was also available earlier.

The first description on the internet and the report on the use of STS is a former overgrow. Comparison of STS and Ga3, some photos. It is possible that it was 20 years ago? .. maybe it is possible ?? Sometimes a person does not know when and how time passes.

It was suspected that there was a link between too high STS doses and pollen lack of fertility, but this is unlikely to be confirmed.

At the concentration you are using, a single spray should be sufficient to change the sex of each plant. Not always 100%, some female flowers may remain, small amounts may remain intersexual, the seeds S1 from them are usually deformed. Often there are also twins, hearts, etc. That's more or less how it turned out in this dose range. Not entirely repetitive, people used different liquid expenses for spraying, whether the addition of surfactants or not.

Additionally, some varieties are a bit more reluctant than others. But a single 3 mM in my opinion is enough.
It's been a lot of years so I'm not 100% sure anymore. Time and it is a bit blurry, and it can even add false memories.

All that I am writing is more of an impression and my own interpretation. I can't prove it in any way. It seems to me that this is the case, somewhat from my own experience, a lot from the results of others, and a lot from the work of another plant, where breeders have created purely female lines that are highly resistant to external factors that might cause male flowers to emerge.

The cucumber data most closely matched the observed results for cannabis. Similar influence of developmental conditions on the appearance of male flowers, essentially identically acting sex-altering chemicals. A slightly different pattern of sex inheritance - no distinct chromosomes, the Y chromosome is distinctly different in cannabis.

I don't know about the negative influence of repeated high dose STS spraying on pollen fertility. Tests like clone and several techniques were not performed. Tests, a few plants, and the same procedure yes.

Rather, it seemed to me that whether the pollen is fertile or not depends on the plant, and not on the technique. One of the varieties did not create pollen at all regardless of what you did. The second is no problem also no matter what you do. I haven't checked dozens of varieties myself, so I don't know if it's a coincidence or ?? ;)

Uncertainty is something that always stays even after some tests. You never get an exact picture at a small scale. I guess ??

Photo, effect of combining Ga3 with silver nitrate. Ga3 later given to change the shape of the inflorescences to a stretched one similar to the real male. Not only was it suspected that this might improve fertility but also facilitate pollen separation. [ male flowers do not always open, it is described in the article which is linked here at the beginning _ and also in the thread on F #, some experimenters dried and crushed them ]

ga3_agno3.jpg

There is also info in the thread. on long-term storage of the obtained dried pollen. Freezing. Maybe not directly in the thread, but in one of the derivatives. A technique similar to that once shown at OG, where desiccators were used, with a desiccant and refrigeration for storage.

The descriptions of the stability of STS solutions stored in the dark, found in the scientific literature, also confirmed exactly. Poorly stored solutions decompose partially, giving off silver sulphide. But even they were still quite effective after more than a year of storage.

I don't remember any more at the moment.

Sorry for the language. Writing in this language is too difficult for me. Unfortunately, AI help gives poor results. ;)

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
IMG_20211202_130457441.jpg
I'm getting ready to put my PurpAl in the isolation tent to try again.
I'm guessing I need to increase dosage of sts.

​​​​​​​So should I make a new stock solution or try to add to this one? I'm thinking make a new one, a

whereisbrianV.

I personally have found a 1:5 solution of sts to distilled water sprayed for 5 days gives me the best results and lots of viable pollen without stunning the plants.

It's best to give the lady boys a 10 day head start to insure that you start dumping as soon as the first pistols start to pop.
20220122_124108.jpg

We ran over 100k of my feminized seeds outdoors and I can definitely say that different lines will throw males alot more than the normal 1 in 200 in more stable lines.

I personally have found a 1:5 solution of sts to distilled water sprayed for 5 days gives me the best results and lots of viable pollen without stunning the plants.

Hi, could you please elaborate on this. Did you spray everyday for 5 days, is that what you mean? Starting from what day? I am running some experiments with different spray intervals so would like to try known working methods. TIA

Cloneman

Veteran

It's best to give the lady boys a 10 day head start to insure that you start dumping as soon as the first pistols start to pop.
Like farmer joe I'd like to know what days you spray and when to stop?
Also some say a week or 2 for the target plants but 10 days seems good to me.
Cheers

Thanks to all the contributors in this thread. I found the best spray interval for getting the most pollen the earliest from the Sigma recipe was one spray on days -5, 1, 5 of flower although other intervals worked also. I diluted it 1:5 with filtered rain water and sprayed the whole plant to run off.

My aim was to try to avoid having to manually extract the pollen cos its a pain in the ass. I tried to post a video of the plant dropping pollen from just a flick of the stem but for some reason it got moderated and deleted. So here is a picture instead.

Screenshot_20220419-072156_Video Player.jpg

I've tried the forum recipe in the past a few times and diluted it and it never worked for me properly. So this time I used the Sigma recipe and had 4 clones of a selected GMO x Dessert Breath cut and sprayed once per day on days:

-5, 1, 5 Clone A
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Clone B
1, 7, 14 Clone C
7, 14, 21, Clone D

Today is Day 40 of flower and I killed Clone A, B, C. They all produced pollen and are still dropping but Clone A produced more and produced earlier. It was still throwing new balls today when I cut it down. It reminded me of a true male.

Clone D is still alive because I want to see what happens. I wont use it on the females as it has only just started to drop pollen. Clone D was the only one that showed some female flowers but after the Day 21 spray it reversed fully. All the rest never showed any female flowers with pistils at all just male. I am going to do the same tests on a bunch of different strains next to see how different cultivars react.

Here are some pics from today of the pollen donor clones and the target plants fully seeded.

20220422_095401_copy_756x1008.jpg

20220422_130119_copy_756x1008.jpg
20220422_130107_copy_756x1008.jpg
20220422_122612_copy_413x551.jpg
20220422_220810.jpg
20220422_095257_copy_756x1008.jpg

Attachments

• 20220422_095313_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20220422_095313_copy_756x1008.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220422_220810_copy_456x608.jpg
    20220422_220810_copy_456x608.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 52

marmarb

Hate to ask what maybe a dumb question but after making the 100ml of .02 just dilute it with 557ml of water to make the 3mM solution. the whole mM is what's throwing me off.

Cloneman

Veteran
First off thanks farmer joe for the feedback!
Hate to ask what maybe a dumb question but after making the 100ml of .02 just dilute it with 557ml of water to make the 3mM solution. the whole mM is what's throwing me off.
That's right
I adjusted the rates for less silver stock as its going to be cut 1 to 4 anyway, so its
Silver > 1.02 gm to 60 ml water (or 1.7 gm to 100 ml water if you want more)
Sodium penta > 6 gm to 240 ml water (or 10 gm to 400 ml if you want more)

With the lower rates I can mix up each 3 sprays fresh with no waste

So its 20 ml Silver mixed slowly in to 80 ml Sodium while stirring vigorously

Then mix that 100ml with 557ml water for the diluted spray

I won't be doing this for months, just wanted to get my head round it...

Last edited:

marmarb

i see why the 300ml write up is preferred did the base 100 ml and the extra seems like a bit of a waste. Did a heavy spray and will serve as day 1 of flip will spray 1-7-14. will flip target females on day 14 which will set them 2 weeks behind reversed females. thanks for all the assistance.

marmarb

Anyone noticing smaller seeds. Flipped some autos bout 6 months ago just got around to shucking and noticing that the seeds are a bit on the smaller side.