What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Malawi and Cycloptics Greenbeams: caught in the Under Current!

Ez Rider

Veteran
Alright I'll try it. I was keeping it low because the dissolved O2 was so high that I thought they would burn. Thanks.

In my experience with v+b, underfeeding is far more problematic than overfeeding. The few times I've overfed, I got a little tip burn right away and backed off some. No major problem. The start of my current flower run, the plants were initially being underfed and it resulted in a lot a tail chasing until I simply upped the feed strength. I was at 1.0 in veg and manifesting several deficiencies plus the plants looked pale and overwatered. Upping the feed to 1.4-1.6 cleared it right up. Is the Malawi typically characterized as a "heavy" or "light" feeder?

Here's my SB at 2 weeks flower, being fed ~1.8EC at the moment.
picture.php

timmur

I think malawi would be classified as a somewhat light feeder. Certainly not like some hybrids.

I just bumped the EC up to .9. We'll see how they do. :tiphat:

timmur

In my experience with v+b, underfeeding is far more problematic than overfeeding. The few times I've overfed, I got a little tip burn right away and backed off some. No major problem. The start of my current flower run, the plants were initially being underfed and it resulted in a lot a tail chasing until I simply upped the feed strength. I was at 1.0 in veg and manifesting several deficiencies plus the plants looked pale and overwatered. Upping the feed to 1.4-1.6 cleared it right up. Is the Malawi typically characterized as a "heavy" or "light" feeder?

Here's my SB at 2 weeks flower, being fed ~1.8EC at the moment.
View Image

Yeah these have looked over watered more often than not and growth has been underwhelming. They also don't ahve a nice vibrant green color.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Yeah these have looked over watered more often than not and growth has been underwhelming. They also don't ahve a nice vibrant green color.

I'd call that a "text book" example of v+b underfeeding symptoms. v+b recommends a general usage rate of 1tsp/gal. This gives me 1.6EC with 0ppm RO water. Personally, I've had nothing but trouble trying to go less than 1.0EC, and I know for a fact that most people running low ppm of v+b are also supplementing with calmag. After it's rooted, my SB shows Ca def's at anything less than 1.2EC. I think a good rule of thumb with v+b is that if you see a Ca def(or any symptoms you don't understand), you're most likely feeding too weak.

I'd like to note that some people are running 1.0-1.4 with "light" feeders, but they tend to supplement with calmag, v-h, or both.

timmur

I'd call that a "text book" example of v+b underfeeding symptoms. v+b recommends a general usage rate of 1tsp/gal. This gives me 1.6EC with 0ppm RO water. Personally, I've had nothing but trouble trying to go less than 1.0EC, and I know for a fact that most people running low ppm of v+b are also supplementing with calmag. After it's rooted, my SB shows Ca def's at anything less than 1.2EC. I think a good rule of thumb with v+b is that if you see a Ca def(or any symptoms you don't understand), you're most likely feeding too weak.

I'd like to note that some people are running 1.0-1.4 with "light" feeders, but they tend to supplement with calmag, v-h, or both.

Thanks again EZ. I'll post up how it goes.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran

That's interesting. I have 0.3 well water, I add 1 tsp/gal of V+B RO/Soft and my ec only goes up to 1.3, it's not my new blue lab truncheon giving me false readings either:biggrin: I have 20+ different strains going in a perpetual and they all get 1.3ec in bloom. None look like they need any higher ec and I never use calmag. I'm stumped as to how you get 1.6ec in ro with just 1tsp/gal. I believe ya I just don't understand:biggrin:

Ez Rider

Veteran
That's interesting. I have 0.3 well water, I add 1 tsp/gal of V+B RO/Soft and my ec only goes up to 1.3, it's not my new blue lab truncheon giving me false readings either:biggrin: I have 20+ different strains going in a perpetual and they all get 1.3ec in bloom. None look like they need any higher ec and I never use calmag. I'm stumped as to how you get 1.6ec in ro with just 1tsp/gal. I believe ya I just don't understand:biggrin:

Weird.

My bluelab pen is over a year old, but I keep it clean and calibrated, so I've got no reason to disbelieve it. Only two things I can think of is either all measuring spoons aren't created equal, or maybe the powder dissolves better with my water? v+b is a local company, and is formulated specifically for our water. Just a wild assed guess on my part. If you're on well water, my guess is you aren't local. Maybe something in your water keeps the v+b from completely dissolving? HR could probably explain it.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
All my V+B dissolves, good stuff. I use a couple different plastic measuring spoons, that's not it. I have 2 bluelabs, they both read the same and I use calibrating fluid to check. Something else causing this difference.

Ez Rider

Veteran
All my V+B dissolves, good stuff. I use a couple different plastic measuring spoons, that's not it. I have 2 bluelabs, they both read the same and I use calibrating fluid to check. Something else causing this difference.

Couldn't say???

timmur

Hey EZ, so far the girls seem to like the increase in food. The EC settled out to .8, so still not up over 1, but I'm transferring them to the big system, so I'll bump it up again and see how they do. :tiphat:

Ez Rider

Veteran
Hey EZ, so far the girls seem to like the increase in food. The EC settled out to .8, so still not up over 1, but I'm transferring them to the big system, so I'll bump it up again and see how they do. :tiphat:

Glad to hear they're liking it. .4 sounded really low. For a lot of people, that's good tap/well water. My tap is like .8, hence the RO. Good luck to you:tiphat:

timmur

Well I finally got them in the UC today. Still have some cleanup to do in the room, but they're finally in the big system. :biggrin:

There's a big difference in the size of the plants due to germination delays. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I've thought about taking clones of the 4 most vigorous plants and just grow out the clones that way the canopy will be even.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
You could just train im and top um how youwant for an even canopy, bend um over, n let the younger ones get they stretch on. Thats wut id do, but time is an important issue with me as well.
edit: Also may want to consider that, when growing from seed, plants can stretch and grow differently regardless.

mjlifestyle

Don't fall for the grow difference trick, timmur, they're only trying to fool you :)

Seriously though, the difference will get smaller later on, not bigger, although that may sound weird. At least that was my experience. At the moment a few days translates into a big difference in size, but a bit later on that will almost disappear. Also, like GM said, you could also level the canopy with LST and topping, I just think it's a pity to kill your most vigorous plants and replacing them with clones just because 3 of them are a bit behind. Plus, clones might not root at the exact same rate so you may end up where you started (but with smaller plants).

Ez Rider

Veteran
You may as well top the bigger ones, and let the little girls catch up. Cloning the vigorous plants isn't a bad idea, but those clones won't be ready for some time. Your smallest plant will be a bush before any clones will even be rooted. You've only got 2 significantly smaller plants. Leave the one in front where it is, move the middle one to the rear, and put that bushy one in the middle. Surround the two "runts" with the more vigorous plants, and "fill in the blanks". Adapt, improvise, overcome.:biggrin:

Those bigger plants must have been starving @ .4. At ~1' and bushy, I'm feeding the SourBubble 1.4 MINIMUM. Granted, the SB is a nute hog, but even a fert sensitive strain like gg#4 is going to want at least 1.0 at that point, or so I'm told. You're looking pretty good in any event. I knew it would come together for you:yay:

FYI: My SB run is looking great, I may post a little in the owners thread, since it seems to have petered out. I'm also doing a side project with some gg#4:woohoo: in my 3x3, but I'm still in the early veg stage. I knew I'd find a use for that air-cooled phantom.

timmur

Thanks to all for the advice! I'll probably keep them all and top the bigger ones. I'm gonna give them a couple of days to make sure they take off in the big system. :tiphat:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't fall for the grow difference trick, timmur, they're only trying to fool you :)

Seriously though, the difference will get smaller later on, not bigger, although that may sound weird. At least that was my experience. At the moment a few days translates into a big difference in size, but a bit later on that will almost disappear.

:yeahthats