What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 Michigan Cannabis Cup

Greenthumber

I got there at about 11:45 yesterday. Waited about 2 hours to get in. The poster above is correct, they are the most disorganized event ever put on. Lines are not marked and at one point in the gated part of the line people moved the gates and a crowd of about 500 rushed ahead of us who had been waiting longer. Nothing was done about it.

Once you are inside though it is a great time. Great selection of vendors this year and the prices were all decent.

Yes they should have increased staff support when they realized they had 30000 pre sold tickets! I’m in line right now though lol :dance013:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
finally great news from Michigan.

what a long battle it has been for this state.

p.s... Gage green for the win.

my avatar is Gage green mendo breath f-3

Leaflet

Anyone wait for more than 4 hours yesterday?

Not I, but I got there right when it opened, just like dire_wolf. So, it took about 2 hours. I would be those that came later spent a lot more time in line. And more time getting to a parking spot.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I arrived in Clio at 3, waited in line to park until 4:30, stood in one line for 30 minutes before someone said that was the line for people didn't purchase, and there was another line on the opposite of the grounds for ticket holders.

Spent another 2 hours waiting there to finally get in to elbow to elbow people for 1/3 of the infield where every booth was 7-8 people deep.

It took me almost 30 minutes to find a booth not packed to the brim. And it happened to be Mosca's tent. :D Bought some OTM seeds of his.

Prices were decent when you could elbow your way in to talk to someone.

After about 2 hours of this nonsense I had a splitting headache and was ready to leave the shitshow.

1 freaking ATM on the grounds?!

Whoever was in charge of logistics needs to be fired. The booths were way too closely packed together, and too many were playing loud, crappy, distorted music.

I'm glad I went, but I doubt I'll be back again. At least until they get it sorted it out a ton better.

ETA - To the gentleman from WI that I ran into out in the parking lot carrying 3 clones, I hope your journey was uneventful. :D

Greenthumber

I arrived in Clio at 3, waited in line to park until 4:30, stood in one line for 30 minutes before someone said that was the line for people didn't purchase, and there was another line on the opposite of the grounds for ticket holders.

Spent another 2 hours waiting there to finally get in to elbow to elbow people for 1/3 of the infield where every booth was 7-8 people deep.

It took me almost 30 minutes to find a booth not packed to the brim. And it happened to be Mosca's tent. :D Bought some OTM seeds of his.

Prices were decent when you could elbow your way in to talk to someone.

After about 2 hours of this nonsense I had a splitting headache and was ready to leave the shitshow.

1 freaking ATM on the grounds?!

Whoever was in charge of logistics needs to be fired. The booths were way too closely packed together, and too many were playing loud, crappy, distorted music.

I'm glad I went, but I doubt I'll be back again. At least until they get it sorted it out a ton better.

ETA - To the gentleman from WI that I ran into out in the parking lot carrying 3 clones, I hope your journey was uneventful. :D

Today wasn’t as bad but yeah I heard a lot of talk about the day prior being a complete unorganized shit show to say the least!! I got there at 9 and they started letting everyone in at about 1130, it was fairly manageable untill about 130 ,2 it really started to get crowded! I was out of their by 230-3 and still people in a full line past the fence. Luckily I thought to hit an atm on the way there

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Today wasn’t as bad but yeah I heard a lot of talk about the day prior being a complete unorganized shit show to say the least!! I got there at 9 and they started letting everyone in at about 1130, it was fairly manageable untill about 130 ,2 it really started to get crowded! I was out of their by 230-3 and still people in a full line past the fence. Luckily I thought to hit an atm on the way there
I had cash on me. I just ran out when I went to Mosca's tent to buy seeds.

No deals on seeds were to be had there or anywhere, unfortunately.

And now that I made the comment I probably wont be back, my buddy saw that there's another one in Detroit in August.

Hopefully that one will be better organized.:biggrin:

Have they posted results yet?

Leaflet

And now that I made the comment I probably wont be back, my buddy saw that there's another one in Detroit in August.
Hopefully that one will be better organized.:

There's very little chance I will go to the one in Detroit. There will be 10 times as many people there. They've been doing this for 9 years - I don't expect it to get more organized...

Now would be a great time for someone to start up a "Rainbow Farms II" festival or something like that.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's very little chance I will go to the one in Detroit. There will be 10 times as many people there. They've been doing this for 9 years - I don't expect it to get more organized...

Now would be a great time for someone to start up a "Rainbow Farms II" festival or something like that.
Maybe I should reach out to them.

As someone who used to plan festivals larger than this (100,000 people a day), I'm pretty sure I could handle this with my eyes closed.

They're making money hand over fist at these things. For them to be as messed up as they are logistically is ridiculous.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the interest of capitalism, perhaps they have it at exactly the point they want. Maximize profit while skating on the edge of damaging customer loss.

There are so many things they could do alleviate the strain and make even more money when they can attract bigger crowds that are easier to maintain and control due to proper planning.

Which do you think would bring in more money? If people like you and I are saying we wont go back to long lines and poor planning? Or us saying we had a great time and want to bring our friends to the next one and not even mentioning how well it was run. Because that's what a planner of a festival like this wants - no negative feedback = good times = return visitors.

Part of the problem was the venue chosen. Part of the problem was the layout of the vendors. Part of the problem was no clear guidelines on music at the vendor tents.

There were a whole host of problems that could have made this event a lot better with some proper planning.

Greenthumber

I had cash on me. I just ran out when I went to Mosca's tent to buy seeds.

No deals on seeds were to be had there or anywhere, unfortunately.

Hopefully that one will be better organized.:biggrin:

Have they posted results yet?

Yeah that’s mainly what I was there to look at was seeds I didn’t end up grabbing anything though. I also heard the next one will be in Detroit i forgot the name of where it will be though I’ll ask my buddy and get back to you

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you folks think the detroit show will be like.
I predict a woodstock type scene.

Detroit will hopefully be a bit better run simply because I assume it's a larger venue with more people working the doors than 16 - 20.

But inside I would assume the same thing that Clio had - poor layout so you've got several big vendors blasting heavily distorted, bad music at hearing damaging levels and everything packed into 1/2 of the venue leaving the other 1/2 mostly empty.

Leaflet

The Detroit event is going to be at the old Russell warehouse in the industrial ghetto that is Hamtramck.
Compare that to Cannacon in Cobo Hall.
With the number of people that were at Clio, there would be no trouble filling Cobo Hall for the event... which makes me just feel like what I keep hearing people say is true: that High Times is just in it for maximum profit.

I hate to be such a downer on this, because I would much rather look forward to attending an event that I will enjoy going to.