What's new

Blue-adepts DIY SuperStealth tubs + pics

Blue_adept

The light box does put out a lot of heat through the fans, but very little heat into the grow area. When i had it in my closet last winter it was always nice to wake up and grab a shirt that had been hanging above it overnight lol. I have no idea how big the tubs are lol, i wandered around in wally world until i saw a nice size :) next time im in my storage i will check.

BA

Blue_adept

From my stack of receipts (wallyworld, and homedepot) it turned out to be right around $180. Add in the cost of the wood and plexi i already had, and your looking at ~$200 for a running cab.

BA

are the two holes in the center the only ones for venting the hood/cab if so does it get any hotter on the glass covering the outer bulbs then the ones closest to the vents and how much hotter

dexus

Great post!

I'm actually considering this build. I'm compiling a shopping list to locate the pieces and prices, and will head out to pick them up over the course of this week.

I'm currently in an apartment going for a closet build, so this should suit my needs perfectly. A+ for design.

Will it matter if I use PVC instead of ABS?

2 large stackable rubbermaid tubs (your choice on size really)
1 rubbermaid tub to sit atop the stack (the pics will show you)
1 sheet of galvanized duct sheet metal
2ft of 3in ABS +2 3in couplers
2 1.5in ABS elbows + ~6in 1.5 ABS
~1sq ft of screen
1-2 rolls weatherstripping
12 EZ light bases + bulbs of choice
1 PC power supply+ 2 80mm fans + 2 120mm fans
misc wire/wood
1 piece of 1/8th plexi, you will find out your size later
rivets
Krylon fusion paint, or other suitable

Blue_adept

So-im - Yes, just one wall outlet for the strip plug in the top tub.

Organic munk- The two center most holes vent the grow area through the carbon stacks. The intake for the light box is from the abs elbow you see there, and the exhaust from the lights is through the power supply then out the back of the top tub. With the lights on the plexi is warm to the touch all over, and the exhaust blowing out the back of the top tub is hot.

Dexus- no problem with pvc vs abs, i just use abs for other things, so i figured thats what i would use :)

All the compliments- thanks guys. I may be running another grow through the cab here in a few weeks hopefully, so i will get some pics of it in action.

G

guest 77721

I'm surprised you didn't melt your tub with that bad ass light bank!!!

This is a bad ass light bank!

27457vent5.jpg

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I like that light bank!!! That shit is sick bro! What is that 280w worth the 26w bubls??? Now see I wonder if something like that would work better than 2ft T5 setups, imagine having 2 more, you know one on each side with that one in the middle and have them on hinges so they could surround the sides somewhat.. That would be sick!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
That's awesome man, if you put that in a garage, it would look like storage. Good luck with your grow, with a mini controlled biosphere like that you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Thats why I love CFL growing imagine a wall of those going! You could pull pounds and pounds super stealthy in a garage with shit in front of them... You'd need a few but I would say you could pull 3-4 oz out each cab with the right strain so it's possible. :joint:

Blue_adept

red- its really surprising how cool the cab stays compared to the light box exhaust. All the light box airflow is handled by 2 80mm fans (one in, one out) and the air coming out of there is hot on skin. i would estimate ~99-105 degrees, while the growspace gets to 7-8 degrees above ambient max.

thundurkel- its 312w total and holy shit is it bright, lol.

LoveTheVapor

Hello Blue,

I came across your thread and decided this might be the way to go for a first time grower. I would appreciate it if you could answer the following ?'s.

1) How do you get fresh air directly to the plants? I might have missed it but from what I saw the only fan blowing into the tub is used to cool down the lights, which are blocked off from the plants with the plexi glass. Maybe a passive intake?

2) How well do your carbon filters work? I love the smell but live in an apartment so I have to be sneaky.

Anyways, hope to here from you. Thanks for taking the time to make this easier for everyone else. Peace

hey blue....nice avatar...saskue is the shit.are you keeping up with the shippuoden episodes? totally off subject. im working on a rubbermaid grow...mind lookin at my journal and giving me a few pointers? yours is by far the best one ive seen...for soil...what do you think about hydroponics tho...

Latest posts

Latest posts