What's new

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
shasta you were askin if anyone thought it was worth the trouble growing the blues.

if you ask me it depends. If I was growing with a 400w then I wouldn't spend time on the blues. if I had a several k/watt grow I'd fuck around with it.

if your interested as an avid fan of unique genes, landraces, sativas, and f2's and f3's I feel pretty qualified on how to find the good genes out of a strain in the shortest amount of time.

and my answer is 2ltr bottles. veg your blues in 2ltr containers and flower after just a few weeks. the point is not to get great bud off of it, or yield. the point is to identify your mother ASAP. good plants will be good plants and shit plants will be shit plants from clone. once you find the one that is like you want you can keep it.

the idea is rather then spend give or take 4mos and an entire light on a strain you know is only going to make one or two good moms, you limit it to a few feet of one light, and about 70 some odd days. you take a cut pre flower, or if you don't have time you can reveg. but revegs don't always work. anyway you want to identify the plant you want. and weed out the rest w/o wasting the time and light on it.

no sense having a light full of one nice plant and six that you'll have to find someone to sell it to.

when you get the one you want THEN you can spend some time and a light on it.

people say the genes change when you reveg but at least IMHO that rarely is the case. I've never noticed much difference. but if you have the option cloning prior to flower is always best.

Last edited:

Freakshow

slow veg

slow veg

Time2Unite said:
dj's bluemoonshine if you can find it

i've heard alot of good things on blue thunder from reeferman, but i have some going now and they are the slowest vegging plant i've ever seen imo.

I was thinking about Reeferman's Blue Thunder. How are you growing it? Soi or hydro? Indoor, outdoor? Maybe you haven't found the right blend of nutes or maybe it's just slow as hell. any pointers?

Last edited:

shasta

Motaco..Unite...Pike...REZ...70's. Your input most appreciated. I'm going to shut up for a while and just listen. Shasta

Guest423

Veteran
Freakshow said:
I was thinking about Reeferman's Blue Thunder. How are you growing it? Soi or hydro? Indoor, outdoor? Maybe you haven't found the right blend of nutes or maybe it's just slow as hell. any pointers?

they are in soil under flouros indoors, 20 days old in veg or so, trust me i've grown alot of strains, hybrids, ibls, ect and these things are slooooooow.

go to the reeferman forum and look for my thread called anyone grown blue thunder outdoors and you can get some info about the strain.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
no prob. always happy to help

I used to spend most of one light working odd strains.
I've grown alot of f2's and f3's that way and they'll give you some great bud. people complain about them because you get a TON of mutants, and genetic freaks, and low potency plants, low yielding plants, sickly plants, all the bad things you can think of. but you also get very odd combinations of genes from parents that can produce some incredibly unique weed that you don't often get from the plant as f1's or stable strains.

I'd rule with an iron fist though. since most of my seeds were free I didn't care what died. if something gave me a reason to die it did. slower growth, stretchy internodes, whatever was pissing me off would get the boot.

after the garden had been heavily weeded down what was left would often be really unique herb.

this f3 (trainwreck x sweet tooth) x (super silver haze x blueberry) threw out everything under the sun. including this rare plant with 4 budsites per node instead of 2.

by the top bud they were so compacted into one another it was dense like a diamond.

see the 4 fanleaf stems on this pic

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I'm sure I'll have a few in my collection that I will be dissapointed with. That's just how it goes. Just because it's super to others doesn't mean it's going to be super for you. Although I'm sure I'll have some that are just killer too.

G

So I have a question for you more experienced growers. I have 9 blueberry seeds (opened the pack and one disappeared immediately) from Dj Short. If I grew them out and didn't like the outcome, what would would be the chances of finding a winner from a filial cross from that grow? The best male and female or open pollination, whatever. Then, I have 100 seeds to try. Will recessive genes come out?
DJ uses f5's, so would the seeds I make be representative of what we are searching for in a blueberry? Just seems way cheaper than ordering $450.00 worth of seeds.

REZDOG

Veteran
Imo,for many reasons,take those beans and make yourself some more,and select away,from those....

I,for one,dislike....blueberry.

:wave:

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
REZDOG said:

:wave:
ditto :monkeyeat

rez, the Dabney Blueberry cut 'posed ta be unrelated to the seedlines and is supposed to be the BB hater's BB :D
be well/keep in touch

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
REZDOG said:

See not everyone likes Blueberry. It goes to show you just got to grow strains out and see if you like it enough for a keeper.

G

Human Nature said:
I'm no "grandpa grower" [years and years and years] But I'm not a beginner either....

I have never in my life BOUGHT seeds, so this thread is interesting for me.... How have I managed this whole time to acquire the clones that I do? I have never hunted through a pack of seeds to find a "pheno" I have always let someine else do that leg work for me! I don't know any "clone-dealer's," In fact I never knew there WAS such a thing! I understand that there are people in situations other then mine, that CAN'T network, or otherwise make reputable clones avaiable to themselves. I have always laughed at all this seedbay, heavans stairway, etc. sites and their necessity! The only time I have ever even GOTTEN any seeds is when BOG came over and hung out while he was in town, and even then I have never even popped them! I don't really have time or space to devote to them.... But if anyone want's to pop some and give me back a "Keeper Pheno" from them Be my guest! ;)

i'll be your guinea pig!
:joint:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Kmarpa that is definitely the path I'd take. I'd want a ton of f2's over dj's stock anyway. its so unstable I'm not sure its much different than f2s. but its supposedly stable anyway. supposedly.

in the end its also always a matter of personal preference. rez loves the diesel and I love diesel too, but blueberry is a very different strain from diesel.

rez strikes me as someone who is a fan of power strains. and many of those people don't like milder strains like blueberry and bubblegum, etc.

Last edited:
G

guest123

u know i didnt think much of the smoke from the blueberry i grew indoors , apart from it looked lovely and tasted nice like blueberries , it wasnt all that potent ,,
but i grew some of the same cutting outdoors and got a lovely plant ,, nice and potent , less blueberry taste , i loved it to tell the truth ...
i also enjoyed the cross iwth it and c99 ...

ezozo

IMO, we can't argue on taste and smell.

I didn't grow blueberry but I had a few smoke from friends and it wasn't so light it was very nice feeling body and head.

peace
zozo

G

I have a question... If all I hear is bad to so so reports on DJ's Blueberry how the heck is it $130....

I have a few crosses with bb in them like BMR, Blue Thai, and many more. I would think that if all these breeders are using bb it must have it's good points too.. As A matter of fact I just got my Rom x BB fem (Reeferman) yesterday .. Has Anyone grown these out yet I was wondering about hermies..

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Stoned Silly said:
I have a question... If all I hear is bad to so so reports on DJ's Blueberry how the heck is it $130....

thats a damn good question. you can ask it to soma too. shantis strains cost alot but I can't say shit about shanti- some breeders actually stand up to their finished product.

if you tell shanti you didn't get what you thought was a good representation of the strain he'll set you straight. 18 seeds or whatever he gives you is honestly usually enough to get more than one good representation of each pheno. I've heard soma and dj are hell about either not answering emails or telling you products final represtantion has more to do with grower ... than breeders liability... blah blah. bottom line they're not giving you a new free pack of seeds like BOG will or alot of other breeders.

I suppose its a lil bit of greed a lil bit supply and demand. don't get me wrong I totally appreciate breeders and I've done some amature breeding and I full well know the difficulty of breeding. and I know shanti grows 1000s of seeds on each new filial generation looking for the perfect phenos to cross. that shit ain't easy. managing alot of plants is no joke ask anyone thats done it. great daydream difficult reality. but I also know once you've got stable plants or proven parents to make reliable f1's with its as simple keeping a mom and papa alive and marked, and growing some plants in a green house and pollenating the fuck out of them. and the seeds stay viable for 5 yrs.

who you gotta feel for are alot of outdoor growers that get screwed on seed prices. they can't or dont wanna keep them inside and the survival rate on bush weed is low. gotta feel for guys planting ten seeds 8 germinate 4 are female and have to survive 7 months usually untended for $50- $100. and they got alot of people doing that too.

but of course you gotta take into account everything else that comes with the professional not amature seed business which is not to be under estimated.

but bottom line I think there are alot more breeders that could sell their seeds at nirvana prices than would like to own up to it.

I could well have it wrong though. because what I don't understand is that if you've got something you can produce an almost unlimited supply of practically free than why not sell it cheap since its legal to sell seeds in a'dam? after all you can sell alot more nickel bags than you can sell half ounces right? gypsy certainly made alot of money of dime bags of seeds.

but if they were in it for money and ^^^ was the case then they'd do what makes money. so I don't know. maybe they have to charge that much because not that many people actually buy seeds? I really couldn't tell you. maybe one of our resident a'dam breeders can answer a few insider questions. :lurk:

Last edited:
G

motaco said:
no prob. always happy to help

I used to spend most of one light working odd strains.
I've grown alot of f2's and f3's that way and they'll give you some great bud. people complain about them because you get a TON of mutants, and genetic freaks, and low potency plants, low yielding plants, sickly plants, all the bad things you can think of. but you also get very odd combinations of genes from parents that can produce some incredibly unique weed that you don't often get from the plant as f1's or stable strains.

I'd rule with an iron fist though. since most of my seeds were free I didn't care what died. if something gave me a reason to die it did. slower growth, stretchy internodes, whatever was pissing me off would get the boot..
That's a rule of thumb, nicely done. I do the same. If done otherwise growing out those sucks, but this way round is fun and one may get unique keepers.

natefrog

quote:

"but bottom line I think there are alot more breeders that could sell their seeds at nirvana prices than would like to own up to it."
"I could well have it wrong though. because what I don't understand is that if you've got something you can produce an almost unlimited supply of practically free than why not sell it cheap since its legal to sell seeds in a'dam? after all you can sell alot more nickel bags than you can sell half ounces right?"

Thank You!!..........doesnt quite jive with the------ "I just enjoy spreading natures beautiful, bountiful gifts to the people"--- act that many of them put on.........you just got 3000 beans of one gifted plant and you want 150+ for 10?.........please.........spare me the phony idealism.......i mean, i agree that a breeder can end up investing serious time to a strain if done right......but even taking that and the risk factor (that we ALL live with) into account its still an extreme (or obscene, depending on your POV) profit margin........i doubt most are renting huge commercial facilities, employing a workforce, and growing 1000's of plants...........which might be a justifiable investment and reason to charge hundreds for 10/15 beans.......indeed i think many would be astounded at how many of their precious/expensive/top of the line genetics are bred in closets off 18inch seed mums....lol......nf

ps..........good lord i am now a complete cynic......i guess someone gotta be, right?

G

Somebody's got to be cynical.

Somebody's got to be cynical.

No cynics or critics could make a lightwieght like me think I've got the best #$@%$ in the world.Without people telling it like they saw it the weed would never improve.On topic, I had bad luck with "the chronic" from seriuos, all hermied with a million tops on the actual females.However the bud was all over the place and generally fairly potent.Seriuos' "white russian" was excellent, seventy days, fat, potent and smelly.Peace, MUCHA LUCHA.