What's new

What can be done with coco slabs and drippers

filimagno

amazing dude....excelent and lovely distribution of plants !!!

what ww is this one.. greenhouse or shanti? is from clone or selection from seed?

F

Father Time

OMG :yoinks:

G-Man, (much eaiser than trying to remember how to spell your user name :bat: )

you have just stoped me in my tracks,i am now sitting here feeling a little in-adaquiate :pointlaug

mmmm,
Coco Slabs and drippers you say... i wonder. :chin:

i just happned to purchase a whole lot of drippers the other day for the pots,i could try out the system on a smaller scale and set up a similer project in the new mother cabnit i suppose...

man,you are going to be a bad influnance on me i think mate.hehehehehe

Kindest Rgards,FT :wave:

Budweiser13

Hello gaiusmarius just wanted to tag this you seem to be quite the coco slab and dripper master. I love to read and learn from great perople like yourself. If I can remember I seen you over at OG doing your slab grows I cant quite remember. Well I just lurk alot and read and learn. Thanks for all you do there are so many great growers on this board and I thank them all and they know who they are I could write a novel nameing them all.......... :wave:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
sorry for the late replies...

sorry for the late replies...

Xtrakritical said:
WOW GM! Awesome growin brother!!!

Gonna start calling you the slab-father... lol well thats sounds a bit weird, so I'll have to work on something else!

Keep up the great work!
Very Inspiring... we are sure to get a few new coco growers after seein your knock out ladies!

Also congrats on new title! ;)

Xtra
Xtra

hehe the "slab father" LOL thanks Xtra, needed a good laugh.

nice to see you found your way to this thread, it's been a while since we crossed paths.

filimagno said:
amazing dude...dude.... excelent.excellent and lovely distribution of plants !!!

what ww is this one.. greenhouse or shanti? is from clone or selection from seed?

this white widow is a clone that has been going around locally for at least 15 years, the only back ground i could ever get was that it was originally from greenhouse genetics.

glad you noticed how even my canopy is, :D i have learned to plant my pre vegged clones selectively, the biggest around the edges and smallest right under the hps so they have the best chance to catch up.

Father Time said:
OMG :yoinks:

G-Man, (much eaiser than trying to remember how to spell your user name :bat:)

you have just stoped me in my tracks,i am now sitting here feeling a little in-adaquiate :chin:

mmmm,
Coco Slabs and drippers you say... i wonder.

i just happned to purchase a whole lot of drippers the other day for the pots,i could try out the system on a smaller scale and set up a similer project in the new mother cabnit i suppose...

man,you are going to be a bad influnance on me i think mate.hehehehehe

Kindest Rgards,FT :wave:

hey FT, initials are cool lol, i'll be GM if you like. it's funny how many members have trouble with my handle, so you are not alone :D

coco used properly is a pretty impressive medium. you will soon be seeing this yourself. in fact with the added veg time and less plants you should be getting some incredible colas on those ladies of yours.

when you realize that the above WW were only given a 3 day veg phase on the coco slabs, before the 12/12 phase got started, then you really see the potential. i always let the plants have 7 to 10 days of rooting into the rw cube time. i wait till every plant thats gonna go on the slabs, has roots sticking out of the rw cube before i plant them all on the slabs. this rooting phase also gives me the opportunity to judge the clones. the faster ones will show and i am then able to select the faster ones for the edges of the system while putting the smallest right under the lights.

anyway thanks for the interest mate.

Budweiser13 said:
Hello gaiusmarius just wanted to tag this you seem to be quite the coco slab and dripper master. I love to read and learn from great perople like yourself. If I can remember I seen you over at OG doing your slab grows I cant quite remember. Well I just lurk alot and read and learn. Thanks for all you do there are so many great growers on this board and I thank them all and they know who they are I could write a novel nameing them all..........:wave:

thanks man, don't know about "great", hehe. i do what i can, but it's not hard really. sure thing i was on OG too, man i miss that place. just makes me realize how lucky we are to have this place to hang out and chit chat. enjoy the show man.

peace and good growings :wave:

gaius:joint:

4186white21-med.jpg

4186white22-med.jpg

4186white23-med.jpg

Last edited:

jimjay

Damn Gaius, absolutely amazing. 4days veg? That is outstanding man. I look at your ww and it makes mine look pittiful. I am at 5 1/2 weeks and i am not even close to lookin like you. I think they still have a while because the hairs are all still thick and white. I did lower the ec like you said you did but not to much because they are use to a high ec. Is that sound right? I also wanna try the slabs but they are a bitch to get around here.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes jimjay, you are right it was 4 days of veg phase in the coco slabs. before that they had a week of veg time in rw cubes. so from the moment they were rooted they got 11 days of veg phase, the first 7 was all together in the rw cubes, under 1 light and 4 days of veg actually on the coco slabs with the drippers feeding them. just to be clear, lol.

you will find out the ideal feeding plan for your pheno of WW with time, specially if you decide she is worth keeping and grow her out a few times. each time you will get to know her better.

not all ww phenos are nute shy, i've seen dp's ww grown with a very high ec and she came out pretty special. so you need to watch the plants very carefully, never change more then one thing at a time. else you have no idea what's doing what. yeah no sudden extreme changes. some pics would be fun and make it easier to see what's up.

you don't need to have slabs, you could get the same results or better with pots of coco drip fed. this would allow you to move the plants around as needed to give them all an equal chance. makes it easier to make an even canopy of buds.

jimjay

Thanks Gaius.
What about clones that are vegging but not in the coco yet just in the rockwool. Do they grow any during that week veg time? Or do the roots just fill out? I am just asking because i don't know how early it would be benneficial to get clones going.
Also i remember you saying that if you are going to be on drippers you need to water alot from the beggining. Well what about those clones in rockwool are they ok just getting watered every couple days or should they be on drippers to get em ready for the coco?
I will post pics soon. I am not sure if she is a keeper just yet. She does produce copious amounts of trichomes but the wait is so long and seeds have popped up. I am thinking the seeds and bananas are from a timer incident so i will give her another run eventually but next is warlock....

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
hey jimjay,

in the rooting in to rw cube phase you treat them like any young plant. i will soak the rw cubes with a rhizotonic solution at ec 0.8, the cubes are in trays and i water the cubes by hose until they are all standing in puddles of water. then i plant each clone into the rw cube. and water 3 days later or when they feel light again. in this stage they don't grow much, it's more a stretching of its wings kind of thing, while the all important roots develop. it is soon enough if you start the dripper system once the plants are on the coco slabs or pots. this makes all the difference when it comes to an even canopy. that week to 10 days they take till the roots are sticking out of the rw cubes, gives you a good opportunity to pick and chose which plants to use and which to place where on the table. i always make at least 5% if not 10 or 15% more clones then i need, this way i can pick and choose the most vigorous while leaving out those typical runts that would never catch up.

some people do plant their clones directly into the slabs in the small rw plugs. but they tend to end up with uneven canopies, i also don't like the idea of sinking my rw plug into the coco slab. they are shallow enough as it is without me reducing potential root space. all though if you crowd the plants a bit and are in a rush, it's a good way to save some time. and in the end if you plant them directly you end up having to veg them longer with all the lights, than you would have had they been pre rooted into cubes.

gaiusmarius,

As Spicolli would say "Awesome, Totally Awesome".... I have been lurking around here a while & reading over all the OG setups & have been taking it all in while being very impressed.

I'm not the best at Math but guessing your #s are somewhere around 30 for a 3x4 area per what I read earlier - is that about correct? Can you enlighten me on your trimming routines? I have another thread going about my Ebb & Flo & have 24 in position / spread out but have about 10 others around the edges that I wanted to experiment with trimming with. Ears are open & eyes are peeled at your grow! Thx n Adv.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
30 plants per 1.5 by 1 meters. with a 600 watt wide angle reflector hps over that space. by trimming do you mean harvest type trimming or trimming the plants before 12/12 for example? as i never do the later i can't tell you much about it. i try and keep my plants from getting so tall that i need to cut anything off the bottom. when all goes well my plants have useful buds from top to bottom.

G

GM, absolutely great to see what you've done! OK Father Time says he feels inadequate and he's got tons more growing knowledge than me so I guess that makes me feel what... insignificant? lol. Glad they made you Mod, we need you and we're lucky to have you. Thanks for everything, dude.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
ok time for some news about the Victory...

ok time for some news about the Victory...

Hey mojo

you really are too kind. i was lucky enough to discover coco back when it first started coming out. i also had the opportunity to see some real professional setups with a lot of lights. learned a lot about running coco slabs. with time you experience pretty much everything there is connected with your plants and this is how one learns to deal with problems or how to avoid them from the start.

let me show you the victory...

she has been incredibly nute hungry from beginning to end. and she didn't allow any salt build up to occur until right at the end. it was amazing to see these 60 to 70 cm small plants sucking down ec 1.8 on a permanent basis while spitting out a mere 1.4 or 1.5, it was pretty cool to experience.

this clone was recommended highly, as a better smoke then PowerPlant, but the same growing characteristics. with a great trichome coverage due to some "white line" in her linage. sounds good right?

well it is good as everything turned out right except for one thing; while PP will stretch to 3 times her hight from the start of 12/12, victory is much more indica dominant and only doubled up. hence this batch are a little short for ideal yield numbers, still with double the veg time, she has great potential.

4186victory01-med.jpg

4186victory02-med.jpg

4186victory03-med.jpg

the above sample was cut on day 56 of 12/12, the trichome heads were just starting to turn amber here and there. they were flushed from return ec of 2.1 down to return ec of 0.8 refilled the tank with just water and powerzym at ph 6.0 and will let it stay like that for 3 days after which time the plants will have used up their n reserves giving them a great taste from the moment they are dry. while also making my coco nice and ready for the next batch of clones.

4186victory04-med.jpg

i forgot my remote flash, which is a shame. but even worse is the hps glare. should have turned the lights off for a few minutes. oh well...

ahh the next one up is nice, it shows the WW influence imo. see how the small leaves are curled over at the edges from the trichome coverage? i love to see that on buds. if only i could describe the smell to you guys. it's not as over powering as the WW when you first enter, but there is no question it hits you right away a powerful smell, which i haven't found a description for yet, lol. i did already smoke a small spliff off a bottom branch i cut off a week ago, and despite being fresh and unflushed it already showed it's one of those qualities where you really enjoy smoking it, not just for the high, but also for the nice taste. i can't wait to have some properly dried and cured buds of this stuff to skin up.

4186victory05-med.jpg

4186victory06-med.jpg

if i'd only known how indica dominant victory is, in her lack of stretch, i could have doubled her veg time to 14 days and ended up with a wicked harvest. mind you this way it's gonna be a pleasure to harvest them as they are not tall enough to give us any of those small crappie popcorn buds. a fun and short trimming party should do it, lol.

Peace :wave:

gm:joint:

Last edited:

jimjay

Damn very nice Gaius. Are you still using 2400 watts?
Also didnt you do a test run between hygro and cannazyme?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey jimjay

nah man, that set up is no more, lol. this is a new place, but still using the same lamps and equipment.

yes i did a test of hesi's enzyme product, called power zym. i had been using cannazym and was happy with it. but the power zym is cheaper and just as good as it turns out. so now i am using powerzym along with my canna coco A+B etc. isn't the hygrozym the one that kills off beneficials? i don't use anything that is bad for my beneficials. :D

HOLD UP can someone please explain to me the purpose of the netting over top of all the plants? does it just hold the leaves down? would someone be kind enough to pm me the answer to that as i will probably lose this thread in my huge list of bookmarks :) thanks!!

jimjay

I am not sure about killing benneficials? That could be correct. The only difference i know of is that it can be used with H2o2.
I have been using it because it did wonders to my vegging plants roots. I had been using the cannazyme and it didn't seem to have the same effect.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amazing grow, i really need to hang in here some more to pick up some tips....such a perfect canopy, i really need to get a harvest done with just 1 or 2 strains to keep everything more uniform.....my yileds are being effected quite badly by the number of strains im growing and the fact there are clone and seed plants together.
Peace

Caligrown

Looking Nice GM - Don't know if I asked you this before but how far are your lights from your canopy?

What kind of air circulation and temps are you running?

Cali-

nets

nets

great grow gaius!

I gotta do slabs some day.

To growinontario asking about nets: The net keeps the plants from falling over. Plus as they grow up to and through the net, you can move the tips around to space out the branches so everyone gets some light.

If you feed your plants well, they will get so heavy with trichs, that they'll just fall over, or break branches. You usually need stakes, tomato baskets, netting, or strings hanging from the ceiling. Sometimes you need netting AND strings hanging from the ceiling.