Couple more Brandywines…woo-woo

Attachments

• dos mas.jpg
    dos mas.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 91

green-genes77

Veteran
Cherokee Purple,
My favorite tomato, have grown thousands of them for decades. Brandywines are bigger and also great.
-SamS

Bar none the finest all around tomato I've grown over the last 15 years. An annual "must grow". Plant structure, yield, resistance, flavor, etc. It really has it all. Cheers!

'Boogieman'

Interesting, I might try the Cherokee next year. How do heirloom tomatoes taste compared to modern varieties?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to have to try growing those Cherokee Purples next year. I grew German Pinks, Brad's Atomic Grapes, Russian Blacks, Moonglows, Bonnie Best and Silver Ferns.

All of them were excellent except the Silver Ferns which grew horribly.

Anybody grow them indoors? I'm going to be expanding my big room to accomodate a couple of wall trellises and I'm going to attempt to grow tomatoes perpetually. I've heard of people keeping plants alive and fruiting for several years and am anxious to try it.

Mr. J

Interesting, I might try the Cherokee next year. How do heirloom tomatoes taste compared to modern varieties?
They taste like a tomato. As opposed to the ones at the store, which taste like cardboard. Like comparing some homegrown with love herb that's been in the family for generations vs commercial brick weed pressed in a garbage truck.

green-genes77

Veteran

It really depends on the heirloom and modern hybrid being compared. There are some really flavorful recent offerings but for a long time tomatoes were bred with disease resistance and marketability (round,red,transports well, long shelf life) in mind. A recent modern hybrid with great flavor, imo, is Sungold.

Any variety grown at home with a modicum of skill will beat the hell out of the supermarket tomatoes. Some heirloom tomatoes don't taste as good as some modern hybrids when grown with love and care.

However, my favorites are heirlooms and it all comes down to complexity and intensity of flavor. Cherokee Purple has a very intense tomato flavor with plenty of sweet and acid present, but also many flavor notes that you don't find in too many modern varieties. These have been described variably as smokey, salty, musky. It's the difference between a tomato that is a good component of a sandwich or sauce and a tomato that is itself the main event, good enough to eat right off the bush like the large berry it is.

urbs

I have grown a variety of heirlooms each year. The cherokee purple is one that I keep coming back to. None of them produce like modern hybrids like supersonic, but they all taste better. There is not much variety of plants available, but a huge number of seeds. Some of the most striking varieties come from wild boar farms, even if they are not the most flavorful. Start some from seed and try a few varieties, you can always do different ones next year.

St. Phatty

I don't think of myself as a tomato grower, but I've had home-grown tomatoes for lunch 2 days in a row (raw).

And Fried Green Tomatoes, about 5 out of the last 7 days. Also home-grown.

thedudefresco

I don't think of myself as a tomato grower, but I've had home-grown tomatoes for lunch 2 days in a row (raw).

And Fried Green Tomatoes, about 5 out of the last 7 days. Also home-grown.

YUM!

Try out trench planting the tomato laterally in the soil sometime if you have space. It grows lots of advantageous roots!

My tomato crop sucked this year (wood rat problem). Last night at my plot I found a rat munchin and it had got inside a chicken wire barrier surrounding one of my plants.

I watched (Ready to run if it sprung at me) as the rat frantically bounced around the chicken wire for about 5 seconds before it scampered up and out lol.

the fuckers...

Sunshineinabag

Gonna try this under sf led indoors

Attachments

• IMG_20201008_104931.jpg
    IMG_20201008_104931.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20201008_104936.jpg
    IMG_20201008_104936.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 89