What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
My UV is 12 or 13 on the index each and every day during the summer and I don't consider my plants any trippier than the indoor or imported stuff.

There must be something else to it imho ...
sure there is ,
like yesum said , its the whole package ,
not just one thing , uv , heat , sun intensity , dryness ,
and growing plants that are accustomed to this over many generations i guess ,
all these things combined,

gets some pretty high uv where i live at 3000 ft in the tropics ,
up to 17 at specific times of the year ,
one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world ,
might be from the amount of white people living here ,
whose skin is just not made for that sort of punishment ...
its not recommended going out into the sun for long without covering oneself ...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
My UV is 12 or 13 on the index each and every day during the summer
I think 11 is the highest number on the UV index. I'm within 10 degrees of the equator, and at the bottom of my mountain, it ranges from 9 to 10.
I could be wrong. Eleven is a strange max number.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
According to Google:

"What is the highest possible UV index?

The UV Index was previously reported on a scale of 0 to 10+, with 0 representing “Minimal” and 10+ representing “Very High.” As of May 2004, EPA and NWS will report the Global Solar UV Index using a scale of 1 (or “Low”) to 11 and higher (or “Extreme”)."

Maybe the "+" means to infinity. :thinking::LOL:

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
According to Google:

The UV Index was previously reported on a scale of 0 to 10+, with 0 representing “Minimal” and 10+ representing “Very High.” As of May 2004, EPA and NWS will report the Global Solar UV Index using a scale of 1 (or “Low”) to 11 and higher (or “Extreme”)."
maybe they changed it ,, i do recall the radio telling us back in the 80s the uv and how long we could stay in the sun without burning ... i just looked at the closest to my place uv index which is only 7 , but its cloudy today id assume that would affect things a bit , but u can still get burned ...

Nexus7

According to Google:

Maybe the "+" means to infinity. :thinking::LOL:

I'm not sure how this UV index works but highest recorded is 43.3

Screenshot_20240115-124612.png

Maybe a move to Bolivia is needed for that super trippy weed ... 🤔

Cactus Squatter

Purple Zamal x A5 Haze from Ace.
It does some seriously trippy things with light in my peripheral vision (flickering, shadows and things moving around), tracers, and is very spacey and absent minded feeling. Definitely the trippiest thing I’ve smoked in years.

kokomarin

Camphor is mothball odor smell all dominate in harvest time,
pine forrest,mint,lavander,tyme,sage in flowering
Othxoh is more complex and have strongest mint with boiled carrots undertones.
But,pure tropical without any trace of indica,up and high,hart racing is minimal.
High is very similar with jamaican what was here 89.hippy happy weed.
I will try to get tropical african landrace to pair with this genetic ,crossed with mamba will become trippy weed.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Purple Zamal x A5 Haze from Ace.
It does some seriously trippy things with light in my peripheral vision (flickering, shadows and things moving around), tracers, and is very spacey and absent minded feeling. Definitely the trippiest thing I’ve smoked in years.
Sounds really nice. I always seem to miss the most interesting limited releases from ACE. Although I am very happy I got their Bangi Haze. The quality of that high is very good. I think the camphor aroma in my Oregon outdoor lineage may have arisen from those genetics, as well as the Trainwreck from the past.

I think the all time most interesting release from ACE was Zamal x Hmong Thai. I'm not a fan of the Malawi that gets mixed with a lot of things from ACE. Judging from the Golden Tiger, it's strong, but the oposite of what I think of as a "soaring" cerebral high.

hippy happy weed
Sounds really good Kokomarin. My kind of weed. I've been aching for that rocket fuel kick of Thai Stick, though I always appreciate the irie, good happy weed.

Maybe a move to Bolivia is needed for that super trippy weed ...
Oh no! My UV reasearch got shot to hell in just a few posts. JK.
:laughing:
Naw. I'm happy here. This may be my last stand. Besides, the sun is friggin' blazinging here.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I believe there may have been a significant development in my first tropical grow. I started backing off of nitrogen fertilizer, as is my normal operating procedure, especially for the plant #1 that looks to be 3/4 of the way done. This is making the oldest fan leaves start to pale, which is normal, especially for more sativa leaning plants.

However, I'm seeing small skinny bud leaves turn pale also. This is alarming me. I know it is normal for bud leaves to get bigger and stick out from the buds more as they are in the final stages of fattening up. I have never seen leaves at this location turn pale green before all the fan leaves fall off. This is making me think that re-veg is starting. Yikes! It is really cool in one aspect. Many of the finest bud from back in the day were multicolored. I've seen buds that had green, brown, red, and gold, all colors vibrantly displayed in each bud. I'd rather a fully ripe bud than a pretty bud. LOL.

If it is true that the #1 plant is re-vegging, then this year's smoke will never get to full potential. also, I need at least several more weeks before I can trust that seeds will get ripe enough. Seed production is by far the primary priority this year. Tropical growing experience is also key.

Here are some pictures. Please let me know what you people think. Am I just being paranoid?

20240115_083616.jpg

20240115_083545.jpg

20240115_083516.jpg

Counter arguments are that these are just extremely leafy because of genetics, and the intense tropical conditions are making plants behave in ways I have never seen. Here are a couple of pictures of fully ripe Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick courtesy of either Bushy or Kangativa.

picture (4).jpeg

picture (2).jpeg

Here is my #2 flowering plant. It is incrediby leafy, but the buds from the side view still look O.K.

20240115_084149.jpg
20240115_083839.jpg
20240115_083958.jpg

Hmmm... Now that I'm seeing that first ripe Gypsy Thai Stick bud side by side with my bud, I'm slightly less concerned. I'm such a head case.

I did find a seed from the #2 plant that had darkened up. I harvested it to see how it looks. It looks viable.

ThaiBliss

Last edited:

Nexus7

I've had good healthy seeds in as little as 5 weeks from pollination! Also if you use the seed you made for next season they'll be much better acclimatized to your environment. It only takes 1 or 2 generations for a plant to adapt to an environment. They're naturally quite "plastic" as they say!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I've had good healthy seeds in as little as 5 weeks from pollination!
Counting down the weeks so that concerns about being able to get the best samples possible from this year are moot. Every week without re-veg is a blessing.

This next generations seeds are going to be F2s, so very "plastic" indeed. The real work starts there.

I was surprised today with plant #1's complexity of terpenes. From far way the sweet piney aroma continues to dominate. When I stuck my nose right up to the bud, I got a good whiff of a new aroma, mint. This reminded me of the Neville's Haze freak pheno I grew, presumably the fabled acid pheno. That freak of nature had a "fresh" smell, like some kind of household potpourri, some of it being mint. This put a BiG smile on my face.

For those not flollowing closely or not remembering, That one of 12 Neville's Haze, and one of almost 50 total Haze plants was miles above the rest. Not even in the same universe. It was just like Thai Stick, but a very strong element of the best Mexican weed ever, because it was so incredibly euphoric. It was the only weed in 55 years that hit me like mushrooms or acid, one moment almost no effect, some lost time later, maybe only a second, and WHAM! Instant tripping balls. As I was peaking with Thai-like nervous system electric vibrations, rattling teeth, shit eating grins, and narrow slits of eyelids holding back blood red eyes, I had warm waves of euphoria. It was like goosepimples spreading over my body, but more like warm liquid crawling over me. Maybe it was only because I missed Thai Stick that much, or maybe I smoked some ergot growing on the bud.

So that's what I'm hoping for in this plant.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::smoke:

Zembretti

That’s similar sounding to an experience I had with some Thai brick in the nineties, the black imported stuff we used to get sometimes

After a session I saw my friends face morphing into a kind of tribal style marked face…like a tiki I suppose…only remembered this the other day, I think only the second time I ever had visuals like that from weed. Both times it was Thai weed.
That sounds like some Hawaiian weed I ate in the 70s, I was dancing with the girl who gave it to me and paisley patterns started to swirl all over her face. Quite distracting. And yet there are so many people who swear cannabis can't cause hallucinations. Go figure. We used to call them eyelid cartoons.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I rubbed some stem on my #2 plant today. I expected that peppery aroma. I got a strong dose of orange smell. I think my fingers might have bumped up against a flower. I remember this orange smell when I grew one of her sisters indoors.

The dominant terpene aromas morh through growth, flowering, and cure, some strains more than others. These plants change more than any I can remember. I wonder why I haven't come across discussions about this phenonena. It is very strange that this happens.

Below are a couple of pictures of buds from my indoor attempt with these seeds. It was a failure, except for the experience. The plant kept throwing fresh pistils, even after nine months of flowering! At that point, I gave up and chopped it. I think the buds smelled the best after seven months, but I was determined to see it finished. It wasn't anything special at first sampling. After six months of curing, it smelled like Thai Stick. The high, though much improved, was still disapointing, considering how much effort was put into it. I had better genetics for indoor. That aroma after the cure convinced me that these genetics demanded further exploration.

ThaiMainBud.JPG
ThaiClose.JPG
GNTfeatherDusterBuds.JPG
GNTresins.JPG

Nexus7

Did you try anything special to get the indoor one to finish?

I think you really have to purge more N out of these kinds of plants and drop the temps and light hours too. Really starve and dehydrate it to encourage it to finish. Maybe change the spectrum too. Just my best guess though.

I just don't see these "never finish" types outdoors ... maybe I just haven't grown enough plants as I said that about grinspoon phenos too until I got one last season outdoors.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Did you try anything special to get the indoor one to finish?

I think you really have to purge more N out of these kinds of plants and drop the temps and light hours too.
Oh yes. I starved it of nitrogen, probably too early though. They got totally blanched of green chlorophyl by the end. I grew with mixed metal halide and HPS. I turned down the hours of light from 12 to 11, but probably way too early. I've had bad previous experience going down to 10 hours of light. I'll never do that again.

Look at these near final and final pics. Only the lower buds stopped throwing pistils:

GNTripening.JPG
GNTright.JPG
VeryBlanched3.jpg
AmberResin.jpg

If had had to do it again, and I won't, I'd dial things down at about six months and harvest at seven months. My solution was to retire in the tropics, a blunt force option.
:ROFLMAO:

I appreciate the question. I also appreciate other peoples experience, stories of trip weed, and pictures of good sativas.

Thanks,
ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Cannabinoid and Terpene Analysis

I wanted to make sure everyone knows that I appreciate everyone's contributions even though most of my posts are me talking to myself. :giggle:

Speaking of which, I wanted to document my S.W. Oregon bud strain that really is a lifetime of work, 4+ decades. I was communicating with someone, possibly myself, about the cannabinoid and terpene profile of that lineage. I forget where that was. Anyway, I had lost the pictures of the analysis, but I finally found them. I want to document and preserve them here.

These results, even though a previous 2 generations of the line, are somewhat of a fingerprint of the strain. The latest generation definately has more borneol, but the overall character is still represented by this analysis. Based on my limited experience, I think the notable highlights of this line are these below, in order of importance.

Nil CBD - Very important to have a quantity of no importance. LOL
CBG - Energized and Focused *15% of total Cannabinoids! **Entourage effect chemist asked me for seeds.
#Limonene (citrus) - Uplifting Mood and Stress Reduction
Beta-Caryophyllene (peppery/spicey) - Anti-Depressant/Stimulant/Only Known Terpene that Directly Affects the CB2 receptor of the Endocannabinoid System
#A-Pinene (pine/turpentine) - Anti-anxiety/Focused/Alertness/Combats Memory Loss
Borneol (menthol/camphor/mint/metalic) - Amplifies Permeability of Blood-Brain Barrier Allowing Hightened Cannabinoid Experience
#Selina-3,7(11)-diene (herbal/woody) - I had some trouble finding info on this one. This line has a lot of this.

# = Dominant Terpene Here

What do you all think? What terpenes and cannabinoids do you associate with more cerebral, up, and psychedelic strains?

DankDankAnalysis1.JPG
DankDankAnalysis2.JPG

Note: For some reason, I had to use a common strain name or they wouldn't do the analysis. I used the term "Kush". Then they mixed it up anyway.
😐

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

The Youtube interview about Thai Sticks linked below is very interesting and sounds accurate. It's some really good information. It mentions the Nyaw tribe, describes the army green and brown colored skinny sticks wrapped on bamboo with bamboo thread that I originally got. It even includes the size of sticks and size of the bundles of twenty sticks. Later on I got the fat sticks wrapped with red thread. I also smoked some really gold colored skinny sticks, as gold as Colombian Gold, really bright yellow.

I hope for this plant to be a reasonable facsimile:

Server Error. I'll try again as an edit.

20240123_162222.jpg
20240123_113731.jpg
20240123_113652.jpg

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Once again it's, warm, breezy, stark blue sky, and intense sunshine. Great flowering weather. February is the peak of the dry season. It gets hotter until April, but sometimes we'll get an early wet season thunderstorm then. It's very dry now.

More stupid crap I notice, AKA a tale of two plants:

Plant #1 - It's not as strong smelling lately, perhaps it's just too windy to notice. It has a weedy smell when I put my nose right next to a bud. Not a grassy smell, just a ganja aroma. At least half of the pistils are dead from pollen or old age. It is getting those dread locking calyxes stacking up filling in the bud. Bud branching might be another way to put it. Resins are still sparkling clear.

Next time I have to buy a phone, I'm going to get a better one. The pictures are bad from this phone.
20240127_081624.jpg
20240127_080946.jpg
20240106_073220.jpg

Plant #2 - This plant, despite getting more mini doses of nitrogen, has fan leaves including on the main branches that are turning yellow and falling off. The buds are still much more green than the early plant (#1). There are no dead pistils on plant #2 except for the seeded calyxes. The resins are sparkling clear, but with very slight piss yellow tints. I'm happy about it because I've never seen that in a plant that didn't have a very strong high. The bad news is that there is no way this plant will be ripe in February. Despite the condition of the fan leaves, this plant is in it for the long haul. It does already have as good or better resin coverage than plant #1. The buds are starting to fatten up a bit, more than I was expecting. This plant is bigger. I think it will probably produce more despite the buds being much smaller, so far. I have to water it every day. The early plant gets watered every other day, and could probably go longer without wilting.
20240115_084149.jpg

20240119_153150.jpg

20240122_092105.jpg

20240129_094541.jpg

Best Vibes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts