What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

That would be CHUM-FM. It was all I listened to. When every other station was Top 40 on repeat, they played everything else. It helped make Toronto such a unique music market, giving us a great blend of the US overhype’d pop and rock, with a healthy dose of British and Euro music and a sprinkle of Canada on the side. It was a great city for a music lover and that was probably why I ditched the electrical goods I was selling and took the leap into wholesale hifi sales - which eventually led to Pro audio. It was all about the music. And at (almost) 70 years old, I am still addicted to music. But not that old shit most of you play. I am addicted to new music and every week I peruse all of the new drops for the new releases to give me something to listen to for a week . . . :rasta:
Another music addict here!

Music goes on in my house when I press that button on the coffee machine in the morning all bleary eyed, up until 8pm when I like to watch some cartoons, comedy show or a film.

I'm in the UK but I listen to an American station out of New Jersey called WFMU that has 4 streams running. There's always something playing I've never heard before, no matter how bad it is, it stays on. 😂 If I like a song, I hit the Shazam button on my phone and it goes into my apple music playlist and I have a listen to all the crap I liked each month.

I'm trying to listen to ALL the music in the world before I shuffle off into the next world.

Most of the modern music on commercial radio over her in the UK is just warbling autotuned shite.

I still pop my fave album on the headphones when I mow the lawn though, it takes just the same amount of time to listen to as to mow. That's Axis Bold As Love, by Hendrix. Morrison Hotel is a good one too (Doors) makes pushing that petrol mower up the slopes a little more bearable. The auto drive has broken on it and I'm too cheap to get a new one or get it repaired.

cola

(*snork*) We (Herself and I) just now had Dr. Scooter onna phone. Re-confirming that both his momma and his (supposedly**) daddy should take two Tylenol at breakfast, lunch, and dinner... and two more at bedtime. <-- This is 1/12 the max dose and it does sumpin' important:

The steady input of Tylenol not only relieves pain, but while the pain is abated, the damage that causes the pain is actually reduced by the hormonal effect resulting from the Tylenol. <--Ain't that some neat shit?

**He is too brilliant. Cannot be my son, despite his uncanny resemblance to me.

Scooter also says we should get some over-the-counter Lidocaine patches to put on areas that are especially ouchy-owie. They cause no harm, and by relieving the super-owie pain, they actually help healing due to the hormonal shit again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ALLA THIS ABOVE IS FREE MEDEPICAL ADVICE TO ALLA YOUSE FROM THE SNEAKYDICKER HOUSEHOLE WHO HAVE A SHITLOAD OF HURTS.

GO GET YER OWN TYLENOL AND LIDOCAINE PATCHES AND STOP BITCHIN'.

Not sure if this part about hormonal shift from taking tylenol is in jest from your "doctor son", or not.
If so, can you describe (or can he) the hormones involved, and can it be involked from ibuprofen too?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My cat minding job has started - since Spanky's owners have flown off to Portugal - for a month - so I get some exercise walking over here twice a day - to feed and pet this old cat - and he gets some petting and playtime - Spanky turned 15 years old recently - and is in good shape for his age - he's got no medical problems (wish that I could say the same ) -.
2024-05-1410.04.11147831873009500355.jpg

Magu🌈

Man! That was a lot of reading to catch up.
I have to say that you are all a group of very interesting people. You have seen a lot. Done a lot and learned a lot. Also, it appears that most of you are set-up well for old age retirement and that is great. 😁
It seems that I am the “odd duck” here. I spent my life getting drunk, growing pot and having a good time. I am poor, grew up poor and will die poor. But I like it that way. I have very little stress and no one is trying to steal my stuff. Ha ha ha. 🤣
I dont know anything about “social media”. I didnt know there even were rules. I assumed if I became obnoxious, everyone would ignore me. 😁 I live in a very isolated area. We only gained access to the internet about 3 years ago. Im a little behind the times. 😂 🤣

Unca Walt

420club
My cat minding job has started - since Spanky's owners have flown off to Portugal - for a month - so I get some exercise walking over here twice a day - to feed and pet this old cat - and he gets some petting and playtime - Spanky turned 15 years old recently - and is in good shape for his age - he's got no medical problems (wish that I could say the same ) -.
View attachment 19002381

Gypsy -- Bring a hairbrush. The cat will be yours forever when you brush it thataway.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well, it's the end of my coffee day sugar abstinence day four. Four was markedly easier then three. Did not really think about it much at all today. If this trend continues it should be easy-breezy smooth sailing after a week. Then my plan is to take a short pause to tackle the after the dinner sweet tooth beast. Before doing so, I need to deplete my typically ever present homemade chocolate chip cookie supply. I may need to find a source of 60+ percent dark chocolate to fill the dopamine holes left from abstinence. I do believe that this is what part of the craving is about. Anyone tagging along thinking about doing this: It is easier then it sounded. The decision can be the worst part. :unsure:
I've already done it on the things I can control, my problem is that my food budget depends on a certain amount of processed foods because I can't afford all whole foods and I have no way around sugars that find it's way into processed foods. Also I may not qualify for sugar free in many people's minds because they see sugar free as avoiding all sweeteners. I do allow myself to use certain zero calerie sweeteners and I also allow myself the use of honey. Now I might be open to the arguement that the zero calerie sweeteners disqualify me but I have a hard time accepting honey as being the same as sugar, especially once you understand the nutritonal value of honey. Of course when I say honey I don't mean just any honey. At a minimum it needs to be raw organic honey. Even better are certain types of honey harvested in very specific places in the world. The best I've heard of is called Manuka (sp?) honey. It is reported to be rich in anti oxinents and vitamins/minerals unfortunately it's pretty expensive, more then I can afford. I don't feel like honey should count because they say that natural honey is a unique food source that a person could live off of exclusively for an extended period if they have to. Of course I don't do that, I only use it once a day to sweeten an apple cider vinegar/water mixture I drink every morning. Now if your abstinance of sugar is to lose weight then I guess honey would be disqualifying.

As for dark chocolate if you allow yourself that then I don't think you would be abstaining from sugar completely because I'm pretty sure even 70% dark chocolate has some sugar mixed in. That being said there are other things in dark chocolate that are beneficial. For example they say that a small once a day serving of dark chocolate has heart healthy benefits.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

420club
I'm right with you there... I was a mod for 20 years. It was shut down by the owner... I think he was afraid of the feds? Not that we were militant, or anything, but we were cutting edge in the PM venue. PM's led to preps, led to defense/guns, led to... you get the idea...

Moderating. It's a fine line one has to walk. My 'contribution' was to get consensus from 2 other mods before bringing down the ban hammer. It served the purpose of keeping mods from becoming 'gunslingers' for perceived violations. Mods can't take offense without others agreeing that "Yeah, this one needs to go." Before that it was the wild west at times. Folks would inebriate on a Friday night and a bar fight would ensue. Calmer heads had to prevail. "Understanding" the proclivities of members and moderating with grace and a fair hand was an important skill to acquire.

Some folks ended up here at icmag. It's how I arrived as well. Had some really good long-term online relationships that sadly "scattered to the wind" one might say.... Some, not all, of that data, information, history is in the archives now...
That was an interesting place. I met such a cross-section of people there -- but in a way different from this site.

I'd liken it to a Wild West town compared to the modern, quiet country town we are in now. There are no knife or gunfights here.

HempKat

Veteran
I am hearing about you all talking about this with the keenest of interest. I have had to wear glasses since I was young, with one weak eye and one strong one. My eyes get by with driving without them (barely). Last time I want to get checked they told me that I was not a candidate for any type of corrective surgery due to age related irregularity in the shape of the eyeball. I wonder if this is till the case? I truly struggle with ever increasing prescription strength.
Sounds like you have an eye condition like mine, there is a name for it but I don't recall what it is, basically one eye has normal vision and the other eye boarders on being legally blind. With corrective lenses I can see fine but if I ever lost my good eye I'd be screwed. I was born with it and back at age 5 when they first discovered it the treatment was to force me to wear a patch on my good eye to try to force me to exercise my weak eye. This didn't work and so after a few years they removed the patch and just gave me corrective glasses that they said I would have to wear until I was 16. At 16 I couldn't lose the glasses quick enough and so from 16 until my early 40's I did fine without glasses although I did have a slight restriction on my drivers license requiring a passenger side rear view mirror but since most cars have those anyway it was never a problem. In my 40's I had to start wearing glasses again and by my 50's I got to where I am now requiring bifocals. Since the problem has something to do with how the eye muscles focus the eye lens I've been told there is no corrective surgery that can fix the problem. I'm fine with my glasses and mostly fine without them, the only problem without my glasses is that it's virtually impossible for me to read any text unless it's in an extremely large font size.

Last edited:

Magu🌈

I've already done i on the things I can control, my problem is that my food budget depends on a certain amount of processed foods because I can't afford who;e foods and I have no way around sugars that find it's way into procss foods.. Also I may not qualify for sugar free in many people's minds because they see sugar free as avoiding all sweeteners. I do allow myself to use certan zero calerie sweetenerd and I also allow myself the use of honey. Now I might be open to the arguement that the zero calerie sweeteners disqualify me but I have a hard time accepting homey as being the same as sugar, especially once you understand the nutritonal value of honey. Of course when I say honey I don't mean just any honey. At a minimum it needs to be raw organic honey. Even better are certain types of honey harvested in very specific places in the world. The best I've heard of is called Manuka (sp?) honey. It is reported to be rich in anti oxinents anf vitamins. I don't feel like honey should count because they say that natural honey is a unique food source that a person could live off of exclusively for an extended period if they have to. Of course I don't do that, I only use it once a day to sweeten and apple cider vinegar/water mixture I drink every morning. Now if your abstinance of sugar is to lose weight then I guess honey would be disqualifying.

As for dark chocolate if you allow yourself that then I don't think you would be abstaining from sugar completely because I'm pretty sure even 70% dark chocolate has some sugar mixed in. That being said there are other things in dark chocolate that are beneficial. For example theey say that a small once a day serving of dark chocolate has heart healthy benefits.
“Everything in moderation.”

The best honey is honey from your local area because it contains necter and pollen from your enviroment. It boosts your immune system and puts you in tune with YOUR world. 🌈

Unca Walt

420club
I think you're safe Gypsy, I'm going to guess that inside the widget/gadget thing was a magnetic device and the app on the phone was more likely connected to that widget/gadget then to your pacemmaker and that the app manipulates the magnet in such a way as to adjust the settings. So unless the hacker hacked in precisely as the device was placed on your heart he/she would be unable to adjust anything. That also fits with the risk microwaves can present to a pacemaker as the main thing that allows a microwave to function is a fairly powerful magnet. But yeah it could be an interesting movie plot, they could call it "Magnetic Attraction" or something like that. :biggrin:
Ya beat me to it.

Dammit. I wuz gonna wax long and well about what would happen to Gypsy regarding garage-door openers. Or RDF stuff. Dang.

Forget it, @Gypsy Nirvana -- Your gadget is a teeeny bit more complex than a SpeedyBee model airplane controller.

cola

Sounds like you have an eye condition like mine, there is a name for it but I don't recall what it is, basically one eye has normal vision and the other eye boarders on being legally blind. With corrective lenses I can see fine but if I ever lost my good eye I'd be screwed. I was born with it and back at age 5 when they first discovered it the treatment was to force me to wear a patch on my good eye to try to force me to exercise my weak eye. This ddn't work and so after a few years they removed the patch and just gave me corrective glasses that they said I would have to wear until I was 16. At 16 I couldn't lose the glasses quick enough and so from 16 until my early 40's I did fine without glasses although I did have a slight restriction on my drivers license requiring a passenger side rear view mirror but since most cars have those anyway it was never a problem. In my 40's I had to start wearing glasses again and by my 50's I got to where I am now requiring bifocals. Since the problem has something to do with how the eye muscles focus the eye lens I've been told there is no corrective surgery that can fix the problem. I'm fine with my glasses and mostly fine without them, the only problem without my glasses is that it's virtually impossible for me to read any text unless it's in an extremely large font size.

Yes, they did the patch thing starting age 10 or so. That did not last long. Way too overly self conscious in school. My last visit to the eye doctor was a while ago. This reminds me I have free checkups every two years. I need to go. If/when I do I will ask the name of the condition that I have. I'd guess it has not changed. Maybe there's a fix now?!?

HempKat

Veteran
“Everything in moderation.”

The best honey is honey from your local area because it contains necter and pollen from your enviroment. It boosts your immune system and puts you in tune with YOUR world. 🌈
That's what I go with, not for the benefit you mention above but because there are some local producers and I like to support local business but it's mainly because it's the most affordable option at my local grocery stores.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Yes, they did the patch thing starting age 10 or so. That did not last long. Way too overly self conscious in school. My last visit to the eye doctor was a while ago. This reminds me I have free checkups every two years. I need to go. If/when I do I will ask the name of the condition that I have. I'd guess it has not changed. Maybe there's a fix now?!?
No need, I was being lazy like my eye earlier, not wanting to look it up. I did just now though and it's called Amblyopia or more commonly known as Lazy Eye Syndrome. Yeah I believe it was problems with being teased at school, making me self concious at a tender age that led to the stoppage of the patch but I'm guessing there was also something to do with a lack of measured improvement involved.