What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

imiubu

We are gonna try something different this year. First, trip to the nursery was a bust. Everything had been picked over to the point of walking away. The next shipment comes in on Wed and Thurs. Gonna try and time it so I can follow the truck in.

I normally plant petunias, geraniums and alyssum's out front. However the worms and slugs are a pain to mitigate. So, we are gonna switch to calibrachoa's which are bug resistant and don't require deadheadding.

Here is last years version.

View attachment 19002142
Nice cut there :)

Gotta say, Imma bit jelly.

They came by Saturday and removed the top layer off our yards out front.
They'll be by soon to lay in soil, seed, netting and straw.
Guess that takes care of those pesky weeds I was going to tackle haha.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Been checking my blood pressure lately - and it's much more consistently good - than before the surgery to improve it - 124/65 - 67bpm - just now - this pacemaker must be working along with the Mitral valve fix and the left coronary artery bypass recently sorted - to give me more faith in my own heart ❤️ -

Something that kinda freaks me though - is that just before I was allowed to leave St Thomas's Hospital - a lady tech-cardiologist came by to check my new pacemaker - and put some widget/gadget on top of it - then adjusted my resting heart rate with what looked like a sorta IPad - so that it never fell below 50bpm - and there's me thinking that if she could lower my heart rate - then it could also be speeded up - (maybe by some hacker) - and so suddenly my heart rate could shoot up into the 100/200's or above - so beating at a VERY dangerous speed - so killing me - and possibly thousands of others with similar pacemakers - as a sort of terrorist event - maybe my imagination runs wild a bit - but could be a concern - could also be a great film script - 😆
I think you're safe Gypsy, I'm going to guess that inside the widget/gadget thing was a magnetic device and the app on the phone was more likely connected to that widget/gadget then to your pacemmaker and that the app manipulates the magnet in such a way as to adjust the settings. So unless the hacker hacked in precisely as the device was placed on your heart he/she would be unable to adjust anything. That also fits with the risk microwaves can present to a pacemaker as the main thing that allows a microwave to function is a fairly powerful magnet. But yeah it could be an interesting movie plot, they could call it "Magnetic Attraction" or something like that. :biggrin:

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Been checking my blood pressure lately - and it's much more consistently good - than before the surgery to improve it - 124/65 - 67bpm - just now - this pacemaker must be working along with the Mitral valve fix and the left coronary artery bypass recently sorted - to give me more faith in my own heart ❤️ -

Something that kinda freaks me though - is that just before I was allowed to leave St Thomas's Hospital - a lady tech-cardiologist came by to check my new pacemaker - and put some widget/gadget on top of it - then adjusted my resting heart rate with what looked like a sorta IPad - so that it never fell below 50bpm - and there's me thinking that if she could lower my heart rate - then it could also be speeded up - (maybe by some hacker) - and so suddenly my heart rate could shoot up into the 100/200's or above - so beating at a VERY dangerous speed - so killing me - and possibly thousands of others with similar pacemakers - as a sort of terrorist event - maybe my imagination runs wild a bit - but could be a concern - could also be a great film script - 😆

Gypsy is smoking the good stuff

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
OH YEAH...the first FM radio station out of Toronto, playing music that was not heard on AM radio.

That would be CHUM-FM. It was all I listened to. When every other station was Top 40 on repeat, they played everything else. It helped make Toronto such a unique music market, giving us a great blend of the US overhype’d pop and rock, with a healthy dose of British and Euro music and a sprinkle of Canada on the side. It was a great city for a music lover and that was probably why I ditched the electrical goods I was selling and took the leap into wholesale hifi sales - which eventually led to Pro audio. It was all about the music. And at (almost) 70 years old, I am still addicted to music. But not that old shit most of you play. I am addicted to new music and every week I peruse all of the new drops for the new releases to give me something to listen to for a week . . . :rasta:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
That would be CHUM-FM. It was all I listened to. When every other station was Top 40 on repeat, they played everything else. It helped make Toronto such a unique music market, giving us a great blend of the US overhype’d pop and rock, with a healthy dose of British and Euro music and a sprinkle of Canada on the side. It was a great city for a music lover and that was probably why I ditched the electrical goods I was selling and took the leap into wholesale hifi sales - which eventually led to Pro audio. It was all about the music. And at (almost) 70 years old, I am still addicted to music. But not that old shit most of you play. I am addicted to new music and every week I peruse all of the new drops for the new releases to give me something to listen to for a week . . . :rasta:
Love it! I am more into classic vinyl and outlaw country.

jokerman

Premium user
I tried smoking meat once or twice but everytime the rolling papers would get messed up from the meat juice before I could get the darn thing rolled up. :biggrin:

On a serious note, I too have a smoker or two collecting dust in the garage not so much from being unable to get them to work properly but more from them being a PITA to clean up and they take so long. The main thing I've learned about smoking meat is that slow and steady wins the race.
I found you really dont need that much wood

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
When I was a young man - I was a sorta moderator - but at bars and clubs - discos and gigs - working security - trying to diplomatically resolve potentially violent situations amongst mostly drunk and high people - and when I say 'high' it could be people taking any sorta heavy and/or psychedelic or pharmaceutical drug out there - or a cocktail 🍸 of everything or anything - not just friendly cannabis stoners - who generally were the least of our worries - but these people I had to work with face to face - and try and make it thru a shift without getting my face broken - or having to break anyone else's face - so I do have some diplomatic experience in the real world - and usually managed to survive - without getting hurt - for some years - but eventually there is always someone - or a group of totally unreasonable violent people - that manage to take you down - no matter what tone of voice or words you might use - and you either end up in hospital - or dead -

in my case I was kinda dead almost - (heart stopped thru bleeding out ) - was revived by paramedics with a massive transfusion - then in the hospital for 2 months to recover - when I was just 20 years old -

So moderating online doesn't generally have the sort of violent outcomes you might see in the real world - and better suits me - at my age 😉
I did similar work in my youth, I worked as a bouncer at a strip club. Of course there the top priority was to prevent the customers from getting too touchy feely with the dancers. Beyond that they wanted us to try to be diplomatic with the customers so they would be willing to come back. Of course if they got too far out of line then you remove them from the club. I usually had no troubles with the customers. My worst night was due to a friend of the owner who happened to have a wife that was a waitress there (just a waitress). Anyway she had a table as far from the dance floor as one could get, that was full of guys from a sports Fraternity of one of the local colleges. There were 6 of them, fairly strapping young men that likely were members of a varsity football team. They were getting a bit rowdy hooting and hollering and they kept wanting to stand on the chairs to get a better view of the dancers. Well the husband of their waitress who was also the friend of the owner, decided he didn't like how they were acting and started to try and boss them around which led to a lot of profanity folllowed with challenges to step outside. Now on any given night we had 3 bouncers and a short order cook/dishwasher in the kitchen. This guy wanted all us bouncers and the cook to join him in the back of the building in a parking lot to teach these college kids a lesson even though they hadn't gotten so rowdy as to get any of us bouncers to ask them to leave yet. In other words the fight was all due to the owner's friend getting his ego bruised when one of the college kids told him to F**k Off when he tried to boss them around. For that he was dragging all the guys there to protect the dancers outside to a parking lot brawl leaving the girls unprotected except for the bartender who had to stay behind the bar to protect they liquor and the cash register. Well I took care of the college kid I had to fight and then proceded to go back into the club to make sure the dancers were okay and in the process the owners friend got his butt kicked badly. Of course since I went back in rather then bail his a$$ out I got blamed for him getting beat up. So the next day the owner confronted me to get my side of the story which I gave to him but it was clear he was going to fire me anyway given his tone, so I quit first. I had been there about 6 months and never had much troubles with the customers, if I asked them to leave they usually did and without a bunch of profanity involved. So my only real fight there was caused by the owner's friend and in my mind if he wasn't the owner's friend he would have been the one I would have thrown out since he provoked it all. I was not going to continue to work there if I had to worry about the owner's friend starting fights.

It was a pitty that I would no longer be getting paid to closely watch beautiful women while they stripped down to their birthday suits and getting free beers in the process but I wasn't about to stay there and clean up unnecessary messes this one friend of the owner would make.

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user

There was a story where they shut off the vice prez pacemaker.
Im thinking of increasing your security.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Love
You better not get me started. :rolleyes: I sold my expensive turntable in 1988 and I have a couple hundreds LPS that I haven't been played since. I have some music in LP. CD and flac. But that is all demo music that I used to sell gear back in the day. My last years in Pro was all Tidal streaming . . .
Love it. I am (was)a classic vinyl freak. Not a scratch on one of them. All equipment long gone... haven't played anything in decades. Some are worth $$$$. Pandora now days.

oldmaninbc

Yep...CHUM FM, even for me in Guelph CJOY left lots to be desired relative to CHUM AM but when FM came along... that opened my ears to new music. I was always disappointed that Canadian talent was brushed under the rug, I had respect for the Canadian musicians who gave up the glamor of moving out of country to try and claim fame elsewhere.

Because of Toronto being so close we quite often went there for entertainment, I use to go to the Electric Circus and the Colonial frequently.

Your working life reflected your interests, that's special.

Like many things in life music is subjective to personal taste.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I did similar work in my youth, I worked as a bouncer at a strip club. Of course there the top priority was to prevent the customers from getting too touchy feely with the dancers. Beyong that they wanted us to try to be diplomatic with the customers so they would be willing to come back. Of course if they got too far out of line then you remove them from the club. I usually had no troubles with the customers. My worst night was due to a friend of the owner who happened to have a wife that was a waitress there (just a waitress). Anyway she had a table as far from the dance floor as onne could get that was full of guys from sports Fraternity of one of the local colleges. There were 6 of them fairly strapping young men that likely were members of a varsity football team. They were getting a bit rowdy hooting and hollering and they kept wanting to stand on the chairs to get a better view of the dancers. Well the husban of their waitress who was also the friend of the owner, decided he didn't like how they were acting and started to try and boss them around which led to a lot of profanity folllowed with challenges to step outside. Now on any given night we had 3 bouncers and a short order cook/dishwasher in the kitchen. This guy wanted all us bouncers and the cook to join him in the back of the building in a parking lot to teach these college kids a lesson even though they hadn't gotten so rowdy as to get any of us bouncers to ask them to leave yet. In other words the fight was all due to the owner's friend getting his ego bruised when one of the college kids told him to F**k Off when he tried to boss them around. For that he was dragging all the guys there to protect the dancers outside to a parking lot brawl leaving the girls unprotected except for the bartender who had to stay behind the bar to protect they liquor and the cash register. Well I took care of the college kid I had to fight and then proceded to go back into the club to make sure the dancers were okay and in the process the owners friend got his butt kicked badly. Of course since I went back in rather then bail his a$$ out I got blamed for him getting beat up. So the next day the owner confronted me to get my side of the story which I gave to him but it was clear he was going to fire me anyway given his tone so I quit first. I had been there about 6 months and never had much troubles with the customers, if I asked them to leave they usually did and without a bunch of profanity involved. So my only real fight there was caused by the owner's friend and in my mind if he wasn't the owneer's friend he would have been the one I would have thrown out since he provoked it all. I was not going to continue to work there if I had to worry about the owner's friend starting fights.

It was a pitty that I would no longer be getting paid to closely watch beautiful women while they stripped down to their birthday suits and getting free beers in the process but I wasn't about to stay there and clean up unnecessary messes this one friend of the owner would make

Ah, the jobes we had when we were young. My job was PICKING FLY SHIT FROM PEPPER!

Latest posts

Latest posts