What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Simple Sbb and Flow hydroponic setup- DIY tutorial *lots o pics*

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I reall want to thank you for taking the time to post this. I have not used this system but really love the idea. In couple of months im gonna have a chace to grow a single plant and reallly am considering this system.

Can this be done without the rockwool, say if i acquire a cutting with roots from some sort of aero cloner? Would the system need to flood more often to compensate for decrease of moisture from the removal of the rockwool from the system?

Would a single five gallon bucket in bucket system be enough for 12-14 ounce yielding bush? Under a 600. With a good veg time ofcourse. Could those little stones support a plant that large without the rockwool?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anima

Cargo- yes I still run water straight from the tap. My water is pretty good though(140ppm). I just chug it right into the res. I don't let it sit to evaporate the chlorine either. No worries.

robot- Hiya! I guess you could run the system without the rockwool. But you hit the problems on the head...mostly with the plant stability issues.. you'd have to get some support going to keep it from toppling out. I'm not sure about altering the flood times though.. I'd start with 15 mins on every 4 hours and see if it needed any change after that.

I think 12-14 under a 600w is do-able (with good genes and almost PERFECT conditions)...But I'd put more than 1 plant under it personally. 8-12 would be a more realistic goal though especially for a beginner.

Peace and kindness
-Anima

*mistress*

Veteran
post 75...
@ Anima;

ever consider eliminating ebb & flow aspect, & just running feed lines to top bucket?
same gravity drains back to res, but no pvc piping.

just pump w/ 1/8" id feed lines going to either top, or bottom of top (plant holding) container?

enjoy your garden!
:thanks:

Anima

@ *mistress*
Sorry you got buried!:dunno:

Yes, I have seen top feed buckets before but I haven't tried them. I know there is awesome tree growing potential there too. :yes: :yes:

There useta be a lot more bucketheads around then there is now :tumbleweed:

Peace and kindness
-Anima

dexter840

hey anima checking back in... i started this system about the same time you did (2 years agoish) and got shut down 3 harvests in. but i've been sitting back plotting and scheming of late, and i've been wondering about using to bucket lid mesh pots would be more effective than the 3.5's. and trying the varying larger size 6"-10". i know the plants get heavy and the added hydroton would be helpful for stability but would the extra space and air help the roots at all??? trellis is easy enough to add, plus less hydroton to clean would be so damn nice. i remember 3.5 gallon sized hydroton masses that would get pulled out of the bucket lol. oh and if you can get away from drilling all those holes good lord! that was easily the hardest part of this whole system. i wish i could crank my room up for the "sake of science" but i can't :(

Was wondering if anyone has done this with coco? Going to run this little system and have began to read about coco. Please any help/thoughts/comments will help :)

Ganjaninja884

High guys!

I just built this system using 1/2" PVC pipe instead of 1", and 2 gallon buckets instead of 3.5

After 2 minutes the buckets fill up, and even though the check valve is draining to the fullest, the water level keeps rising.

After another minute, the water is pouring out of the top of the buckets...so something is wrong with my setup.

Do I need the thicker pipe? Or is something else wrong?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I also notice, in the bottom bucket, about a 1/4" level of water remains and doesnt drain many hours after the pump stopped working.
Is this OK?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I think its the width of the pipe. But I cant say cause I didnt build it. Post pics and see what kind of replies you get.

Anima

It should work.

The water raises a bit above the top of the upside down "U".
Just shorten the leg of the upside down "U" that attaches to the rest of your plumbing to lower it down a bit.

Also make sure that the open overflow end of the upside down "U" is not submerged.

The 1/4 inch or so of standing water is ok... It doesn't get stagnant because it gets flooded all the time.

Peace and kindness
-Anima