What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Simple Sbb and Flow hydroponic setup- DIY tutorial *lots o pics*

Anima

per 13 gallons of regular chlorinated tap water starting ppm=140:

I add:
100-125mL Flora nova bloom (or 50-75mL Grow if in veg)
~50mL floralicous bloom (or ~25ml floralicous grow) (flavor additive)
~35-40mL Silica blast
~20mL Hydroguard (lately I have just been using the bio sponges in my filter/waterfall pumps and squeeze some brown goop from one res to the other) I wait for the water to sit and aerate for an hour or two first to get enough of the chlorine out so that my bugs can live, it doesn't take long as soon as you start bubbling it and mixing it up
~12-25mL fulvic acid
2 weeks before the flush I add a tablespoon (give or take a taste) of molasses to the res.

comes out to about 750-1100ppm's and turns my drops pH test piss yellow (thats about 5.6-6.0 pH)... I start out on the low ppm's and work my way up to full strength about a week into flower. continue feeding until the last 2 weeks, then flush with pure water.

Nitric acid for pH down if I need it (usually don't need it to start off, but after a few topoffs the pH drifts down)

My res drinks about 2 gallons of water a day.

Peace and kindness
-Anima

I

In Vino Veritas

what's up Anima, i keep reading that you can use as many buckets as you like. realistically speaking how many buckets can this work for?? I'd like to run sea of green and minimize my veg time.

floor space is 4'x8', I think I can put 3 rows of 7 if I use 3 gallon buckets. I would rather one bucket per square foot but then I'd have to go with 1 gallon buckets and that may be to small.

how would you go about a set up like that??

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Just use the basic rule, Res= 2 x bucket total volume. Isnt a 3 gallon bucket 12" anyway?

I

In Vino Veritas

Just use the basic rule, Res= 2 x bucket total volume. Isnt a 3 gallon bucket 12" anyway?

yea but would i be better off with one pump or two? seems like i'd need a monster of a pump for that many..

anyone doing that many buckets??

one Q

Quality
Veteran
hmm. I can not give advice based on Exp. But on my logic.

1) one large pump, just make sure youre around for a few floods to make sure things are good. And time it so that the pump isnt running any longer than nec.

2) two pumps, where each can handle the set up but may be considered too small. Just incase of failure.

Not sure how much use that will give you. Good luck either way.

Anima

Heya In Vino!! and one Q :wave:

Yea there is a logical limit to how many buckets you can put in a system. I have personally made the system up to 5 buckets (of the 1 gallon type) and 3 buckets (of the 3.5 gal type)

Problems I have read about:
The pump is too powerful=the buckets closest to the pump overflow over the rim and far buckets only have 1 inch of water.
the pump is not powerful enough= the buckets will not fill up all the way during the flood.

So my logical vote is to just put more pumps on along with more overflows around the system.
Or split it up into smaller systems.
Or maybe increase the size of your main backbone pipeline to 2 or even 4 inches to equalize pressure and use a larger pump.

Kahl

nice work. i like its simplicity. any problems with algae? or does the hyroguard keep it at bay? i dont see a lid on your rez so i thot id ask...

simedru24

growth stunt

growth stunt

Hey all,

Here's an update from my version of Anima's ebb/flow. the plant on the left is definately having some problems. Im pretty sure it's because I left some Sure To Grow (the white growing medium) in there weeks before I planted the clone, and some bacteria may have been brewing. (Stupid me!!) :wallbash: :fsu:

photo.jpg

Anyways, I need some help on how I can revive this thing. Im 3 weeks away from flowing cycle and need to get this lady back on track.

I have three plants in ebb and flow and 4 in soil sitting right in front of it. The soil plants and the stunted hydro are the same age - FYI

photo-1.jpg
photo-2.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how to revive this plant? It's too sad to see it this way.. like a retarded baby. lol.:1help:

dexter840

i ran this system with as many as 16 3.5 gallon buckets with no problem filling unevenly. i used a 325-350 gph pump and 1" pvc

dexter840

no unfortunately i do not have pics, pigs took my camera too last december... i wish i did because this is such a simple setup to run and i wish more people could/would do it. the original thread where i got the idea was from a guy name bonz here on icmag and he has a lot of other setup stuff that might not be on page 1

OBK

Am having a go at setting this up, using the 2 3.5g bucket system. 1" pvc based on Anima's nutshell drawing with a 396gph ecoplus pump. Fitted everything together, filled up the res, and watched the water rise. At a certain level the overflow kicked in--great--but the buckets kept filling, though much slower. I had to stop the cycle before it overflowed the right-hand bucket.

I put a 1/4" hole in the bottom of one of the lower buckets to help drain faster...but what happened? Is the pump oversized? The 1" overflow pipe to restrictive?

Anima

OBK-shorten the piece of pipe on the overflow "U" that connects to the main line. The water will rise just above the overflow.
Peace and kindness
-Anima

*mistress*

Veteran
@ Anima;

ever consider eliminating ebb & flow aspect, & just running feed lines to top bucket?
same gravity drains back to res, but no pvc piping.

just pump w/ 1/8" id feed lines going to either top, or bottom of top (plant holding) container?

enjoy your garden!

OBK

OBK-shorten the piece of pipe on the overflow "U" that connects to the main line. The water will rise just above the overflow.
Peace and kindness
-Anima

Thanks, Anima. I did shorten it a bit, but the bucket on the right is not behaving. Once the overflow kicks in and the water level stabilizes, that right bucket slowly keeps creeping upwards.

I'm looking at this:
3912Simpleebbflowdiagram.jpg

From the first "T" that comes off of the pump, I'm looking at the lengths of the leg to the right bucket, and the leg that runs to the "T" for the overflow line. On my setup, the leg to the right bucket is a little shorter than the leg to the overflow. It makes me wonder if my shorter run makes the flow favor coming to the right bucket over the overflow somewhat in this case.

Anyway my inner macgyver said just punch a hole or two in the bottom buckets, which is holding the water level perfect for both buckets now. Also, it has the side benefit of more complete drainage of the bucket.

Cargo

Res- sounds like a plan at least...try it out...take pics... and let us know how it goes! :yes:

Heres a animated pic of the clone going into the large rockwool cube and into the system after being sprayed for bugs:
picture.php

and a few more of the empty system, and the water aeration/ churnage:
picture.php

picture.php

and a huge nug:
picture.php

Peace and kindness
-Anima

im jealous.... real jealous... so jealous that i just ordered 16x 1 gallon buckets.. (8 site), 3 in one aqua meter & 500gph water pump.. now've i've got a 18 gallon tub already and a 30 gallon tub as well just incase i need to expand:laughing:
im dead serious, between you and bonzo, im sold on this system and it would be more economical than $500 to get a 12 bucket ebb n gro

but here's my problem, and dont laugh.. i was looking at the link u posted anime
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/11plan01.htm

now my problem is, what length should i cut all my pvc piping? My grow space is a 4x4x7 tent 600w veg 1000wbloom.. and for right now i want to leave the option to scrogg open.

i feeel soooo noobish right now lol, but if ya get a chance thro some advice my way

+rep regardless

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
From the first "T" that comes off of the pump, I'm looking at the lengths of the leg to the right bucket, and the leg that runs to the "T" for the overflow line. On my setup, the leg to the right bucket is a little shorter than the leg to the overflow. It makes me wonder if my shorter run makes the flow favor coming to the right bucket over the overflow somewhat in this case.

Anyway my inner macgyver said just punch a hole or two in the bottom buckets, which is holding the water level perfect for both buckets now. Also, it has the side benefit of more complete drainage of the bucket.

Why not just use larger pipe on the overflow tube? I don't know if this makes much sense, and it seems too simple to be true. Anyway, good luck

Peace

Anima

Hey Cargo!!
To tell ya the truth I just "eyeballed" everything as I put it together.
The only parts you have to me more or less exact on are the up and down legs of the overflow.
If the pipe that goes up (on the overflow) is too long your buckets will overflow. I keep it about 3 inches below the bottom buckets rim. As stated earlier in the thread the flood level in the buckets will the be a bit higher than the top of the overflow.
If the pipe that goes down (on the overflow) is too long it will be below the waterline and the overflow will get back pressure causing your buckets to overflow.

as far as bucket spacing.. its about 18 inches from bucket center to bucket center on my 3.5 gal buckets and about 10 inches for the 1 gallon buckets.

Also-most fittings add 1 inch.

Peace and kindness
-Anima

Cargo

thanks bro, are you still running your grow with tap water? have you had any prollems thus far, cuz i really dont have the $$ to invest in an r/o system