What's new

Super simple ebb & flow buckets

B

Blunted22

hell ya man its looking good im going to the shop now to pick up some supplies to bad you didnt water test it yet but o well drill holes i think will work nice thinking on that one man...

B

Blunted22

got back from the depot with all my fitting just got done drilling a hole in all the buckets and putting the grey peices in... I checked it for leaks...NO leaks thanks god...

So everything else is just simple... One last question on medium...

Bonz did you end up going lava rock? also instead of going double net pot i went 5gal bucket with a 3gal inside it and i was hopeing to just use a 4" or 6" Rock wool instead of a small net pot i would think that would stabalize the plant more so the smaller net pot would not be needed what you think?

dexter840

anima, nice work drilling the holes instead of cutting the top off- i did the same thing ha. as far as the hydroton balls falling through i'd use the smaller bit you had 5/16th or whatever. if you need extra drainage at more holes.

it's a shame none of us ran into each other at the store last week doing this

Bonzo

Veteran
Hey my friends! Anima. you got down my friend, the whole is what i actually allways do tho one the was cut was an experiment and worked fine but if you look close you can see a whole drilled in it just like yours, get down wit ya bad self brotha!!!

The holes in the yop bucket sould be either small enough so the hydroton does'nt "plug" the holes 5"/16" should be good. Even 1"/4" is good, but alot of em!. You dont want them the same size and the majority of the hydroton or they will get "plugged " and roots will have trouble droppin down. one good way to test this is go to the 99 cent store cent store of those 4 for a buck tupperware and try out a few sizes and just make sure your not "pluggin" the holes.

Hey Blunted the best way to go in this system is 4" cubes, right into the rocks. The guy that did so well with his store bought system used them and competely covered them with rocks and had UNREAL results, i think 6" is a lil too big.

Oh another thing i wanted to say was i made those round "Gaskets" out of a sheet of gasket material from HD. I loves the "O" rings but they never had enough of them so i found an O ring outlet! Also i have been fiddling with comletly O ring and Gasket free and ill let ya'll know how it goes, so far so good.

Hey seaofvert! Yes 3.5 upper or inner and 3.5 OR 5 gallon lower or outer, that there is a good combo cause it gives you the fexibility to use either size bottom depending on your needs. If your goin alot of buckets, say strait from clone to 12/12, the 2 or 2,5 gallon buckets work great, personally i like the 3.5.

Man that thing is beautifull Anima!!!!! You fire her up yeat? C'mon we wanna know woooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Great job dude, you are the first i know of to biuld the exact 2 bucket setup, looks great!!! Brings a goddang tear to my eye!!! he he he!!! Fire in the hole!!!!

peace

bonz

ps You guys have no idea how many trip to HD i made making this first stsyem, but it worked the first time and i just went with more buckets from there!!

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Anima said:
heya bonz!
14 OZ?!?!?!?!?! Oh my...that is huge!!!!
I am going to shuffle in one more pic because I think it was one that helped bring it all together for me...from post #391 in your "Freedom for Bonz" thread!!!
bottom of smaller upper bucket:
2814DSCF4141-med.JPG

Thats what they look like in this setup as well right?

This is a good axample of holes being drilled just the right size foe the holes to det "plugged", if yo look closelt you can actually see the hydroton resting right in the holes making it hard for the roots to drop, NOT GOOD MAN!!!

nycKid

Bonzo always the Innovator I have been following you and Bigtoke for years! Love the set up I am going to rebuild my entire system. Simple and Amazing. I always loved how simplicity always yeilds the biggest and best results. What about your new ebb & flow system you started to show...Can I get more details please..

Bonzo

Veteran
I would say smaller cause iti go bigger you mat have a few fall through and thats not good cause it drains through the pump, so i would say like Anime said and tou'll se in these picks 1"/4" to 5"/16" spaced no more than 3"/8" apart, sounds like alot of drilling but just kick back with a brew or whatever and go at it, also if you can drill the holes frome the inside of the bucket, that leave the sharp "filings" if you will on the outside of the bucket. However do a test if you can , i know all this stuff (hydroton) differs a bit frome where you are.

Sh!t i just uploaded some pics and there not there lemme try again.

peace

bonz

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonzo

Veteran
pics:

so by these pics the above mentioned hole sizies should be optimum for for not plugging, or letting any rocks fall through. That would suck, I do highly recomend ALOT of holes, i have spent half a day just drillin' holes but its well worth it in the long run.

peace

bonz

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anima

HEYA BONZ!!!
I just now hauled the last of my needed supplies in...Time to drill some holes, LOTS of holes! Thanks for the pic.
I'll grab some pics along the way too...Should be up and doing a test run by tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Awesome Anima! the wholes make sense to ya? Too big they can fall through and if you notice 3"/8" holes are about the pefect plugging size so its just logical to go smaller and more, dont ya think?

on a side note i will see ya at your thread about that flip-flop =:)

One again these buckets work:

peace

bonz

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anima

:woohoo: we are makin progress over here bonz:
yea I am thinking it makes perfect sense....but yea it takes a while..
15 mins of drilling:

Looks about right eh?
You have spied my flip/flop I see..people in the chat room thought I was crazy for flip/flopping a 400w...they thought getting another 400w ballast was cheaper...I proved em wrong! only spent about $60 on it and that is a highball estimate..
I'll be around, in between bouts of drilling :bashhead:
:D peace broham
-Anima

Bonzo

Veteran
Thats perfect Anima, i know it takes i bit of time but have lterally seen systems fail or work like a charm due to these lil holes, rock on man!!!!

awesome on the flip flop, i have questions!!!

peace

bonz

ps , i allmost forgot Anima your 10 x better off with a spade or paddle bit for the drilling part.

bonz

Anima

:rasta:
Finally done! (with the hole drilling part)..

I got a bit more holes on th one on the left...had me a system going..
:wave:
Thanks tons for all of your help along the way, it has been invaluable!! :respect:
I'm more than happy to answer all of your ?'s about my flip/flop :jump:

Bonzo

Veteran
I just cant wait to se 2 healthy plants thrivin in your system dude , i am so stoked man!! Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE HOLES!!!!! =:)

peace

bonz

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

E

eLiguL

Bonzo said:
pic of pumps

woooooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! took my dumbass long enough!!!

peace

bonz

ps smaller pump is for recurculating nutes, the guy who came ip with this concept used 2litre bottles with the bottom cut off and the cap end screwd into "T's" for 50 bottle runs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have a link for that thread??

Bonzo

Veteran
Thank you eLigul, that guy is a wealth of info, got some crazy lil/and big systems too!

peace

bonz

Last edited:
E

eLiguL

Bonzo said:
Thank you eLigul, that guy is a wealth of info, got some crazy lil/and big systems too!

peace

bonz

Agreed. Thanks for making this thread its giving me many ideas for my new setup.

Latest posts

Latest posts