What's new

Revised Vertical Areo

betterboy

#1. Im thinking you are asking about the length of 4" pipe for the Y' and X's, Thats 3 1/2" long, top side glued so there wont be any leaks at the drain, and the bottom half NOT glued so the unit will come apart.
#2.The X's and the one tee are just standard fittings,menards sell them for 4.99 last i bought, so the 4" pipe will snuggle fit in fittings, the S&D pipe 4"x10' is a belled end pipe, but youll have to cut that off and discard.
#3 yea, these are all misters and are 1 GPH misters.
Also: After your octagon is built, you'll need to light proof it, I wrapped a few with panda plastic and aluminium tape but didnt care for that so I bought some paint made for PVC , plastic , ect. its called FUSION , its a spray and a bit expensive because of the # of cans needed , Im going to check into auto paint with a additive for plastic for my next octagon.IN order to light proof I first painted the pipe black and then repainted white. I used corks to cover the mister holes and a 16 oz. beer glass for the 2 7/8" holes while painting the pipe, tring to get as little as possible inside the pipe.
The frame that holds up the octagon, I didnt glue any of the frame work but when i finnish with this grow I will be glueing just a few key points , but still be able to take it apart.
The feeder bar:
I used sch.40 pvc pipe, 3/4" but this is also going to be changed, with the 3/4" pvc I had to drill and tap holes, 1 hole between each of the 2 7/8" plant holes, so since 1 feed bar feeds 2 octagons 2 tapped holes will be needed between each of 2 7/8" plant holes.
with the new upcomming changes of the feed bar I'll be using 1/2" rolls of pipe , cut to length to build pretty much the same as the 3/4" feeder.The nice thing bout the rolled 1/2" tubing is ya just punch a hole and push in your take off in , much easier.

Dreamscape

I'm talking about what you have in the pictures above ... Where the T is and it says "glued" and then "not glued" at the X ... I'm guessing the T and the X fit together or do they need something to connect them ?

Sorry its late plus after a :joint: things get a little "hazy" ...

thanks

Last edited:

betterboy

the 3 1/2" Long piece of 4" pvc , looking at say the tee the top side is glued so not to leak when drainning, since the bottom half of the 3 1/3" nipple is inside the next fitting it cant leak and so on and so forth, all top sides of the 3 1/2" nipples are glued.
the tee and all X'S all connect with the 3 1/2" nipples, all aligned . since the bottom side in not glued , each octagon level can be removed.
So half of the nipple is glued in and the bottom will slide in to the next X.
I know this is a little difficult to explain but when ya get in to it ,im sure it will make sence. Ill be covering the tank , pump , cycle stat next, hope to this info up tommorrow.

Dreamscape

I think I understand what you're saying. I haven't had a chance to get into anything yet though - been real busy with all types of random BS. Its funny how things come in waves.

Non the less a massive thanks as always and i'll be here :lurk:

~ Dream

betterboy

DS:
when ya get in to it im sure it will make sence, but all it is is a 3 1/2" piece of pipe,(like a nipple). half of this nipple will go into tee or X, if at the top and other half in the bottom, tops glued, bottoms not glued. been pretty busy here to hope to get more info up soon, gotta change out the pump,AGAIN, Im giving up on the small shurflo and Aquatec and am going for a jet pump, the aqutec worked for a while but after a few weeks began to loose power, got to the point it couldnt produce 60psi, which means the pump ran constantly and its not made for constant running. I guess with the large bladder tank its just gonna have to have a jet pump. Trying to tweek this unit is really stressing the shit out on the little girls, guess I'll see what the end result will be on the 15th of july.

First off whats up everyone..... BB I was wondering if at the end you would do an average comparison, obviously vertical is better or you wouldnt have switched but, just like a dry weight on F & D and then dry on your vertical. Im about to start a flower room and havent seen many threads on vertical. Much appreciated!!!!!!

betterboy

Today was cut day for the vertical grow, had a bunch of problems with this 2nd grow, And still have a couple of changes to do, minor though, going to change the feed bar. got the pump situation set I started off with a eco pump, 1500 gph , It just couldnt cut the mustard, so i went to a high preasure low volume pump.aquateceven with a 20 gal. bladder tank it couldnt keep up between cycles, bought a jet pump for wells, it did a good job so guess thats what im gonna stay with, so with all the problems with the pumps my cycle stat screwed up. got to think this grow just isnt gonna make it. To do it over again think I would veg for a few days, guess tweaking never ends, also next grow I'll be using 3- 600 watters as well instead of 2- 1000 hps. bottom line I dont think im gonna reach my 5 lb. goal but with all the problems i had I dont think it did to bad, Im using 600 hps on my F&D tables and I saw a nice bud increase with the dig 600's over using 2- 1000 hps on a light mover

Last edited:

KingRalph

eyy pretty decent run bb! ;) cmon the fighter jet wasn't built in one try, but at least ya still get some pretty heavy nugs there. jah bless the HDF huh, i don't have any genetics even close to that size! well just wanted ta congratulate ya on another successful run, an sharin the tweaks n lessons ya learn, so we can appreciate your hard work too :) keep it up man!

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
BB
I'm very impressed - you pulled a lotta bud from this experiment!!! :yes: Can't imagine how much more you'll get with each tuning improvement to the system :chin: Nice job!

betterboy

thanks Mr. GJ I think i should be able to hit the 5 Lb. mark but dont think I hit it on this second try, one things for sure, these buds are just as hard as a rock and seem very heavy, some of the buds were so tight it was kinda hard to spread to hang for drying

Dreamscape

AWESOME - impressive as ever BB.

As far as the feed bar goes - hows it set up currently and how would you change it ?

G

yo BB.

mighty impressed man, allways love the diversity of peoples grows :yes:

vertical looks awesome and could be somewhat less crowded then a conventinal grow,and over all more productive when it comes to space vs wattage!.

congrats on chop chop, i hope you take what you have learnt from this run and improve with every cycle!

all the best, keep em green

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
BB big props. As with anything it's trial and error and just a matter of working the bugs out. I think you did a damn fine job despite the probs. The 3 600's will deffinantly kick ass in that setup.

betterboy

Hi Dreamscape, In stead of a 10/24 tap in the pvc , im gonna get the punch type take offs for 1/2" coil tubing, JAT told me he hasnt had any problems with this type leaking.
Eulogy:
what im trying to do is get the max of the lighting and space, hopfully I 'll get it all down pat soon
Chiefsomkinbud:
yea I think the 3- 600's will make a big differance although Ill tell ya these nuggets are just rock hard
buds are drying out nicely so hope to have a weight total tommorrow night, dread that trimming

somoz

Veteran
not to shabby all things considered bro: i agree with ya on the 3 600's......i think it'll make a substantial difference.....look forward to the 5lb run bud.....take care

somoz

2buds

Live and learn, its all you can do. Nice nugs too. It ain't bad. 2 more grows and it'll be smooth sailing.
Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts