What's new

Protecting your plants from Deer

I

icmag.is.#1

P3 INTERNATIONAL P7840 Deer Chaser

P3 INTERNATIONAL P7840 Deer Chaser

I just stumbled across this device and thought it may be useful for folks who have a deer problem

Here is the description: "Engineered with special sound level and light intensity to scare away deer but remain unobtrusive to humans

Developed by a PhD plant scientist and found to be extremely effective in tests performed by Big Game Biologist with New York state's Department of Environmental Conservation

Wide angle of sensitivity, up to 25 feet from the unit, can protect an area or redirect deers' path of travel away from garden plants

Effective year 'round; simple battery operation means that you do not need to bring either water or electricity to area that you need to protect"

I have no idea if it works or not but I thought you should know about it.

If interested it can be purchased here: @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896715013

^I dont think icmag has a problem with people posting newegg links??

bentom187

Veteran
i just dont put more than 1 plant per spot. reduces losses,from deer and rippers. im also goin to try fencing next year spray painted,ill just have to hike a few more miles into the woods.

bentom187

Veteran
also i seen a thread called f*** rippers before witch recomended a paintball land mine witch you coul load with anything,now i found this site witch has all kinds of stuff to load it with,plus these little devices that make you throw up but you cant hear them ect... anyway heres the site also to the mods this is not spamming http://www.shomertec.com/

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have 'lots' of deer, but knock on wood, they have never touched our plants.. the only thing we do is line the perimeter with fishing line on 3 sides at about 1metre high.. i was told they can't see it, walk into it and get spooked... seems to work...or we r just lucky

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
To tell the truth, I've noticed more and more that the Deer aren't near as destructive as the Wood rats(known as Pack rats in other parts of the country). Take a look at this destruction-

picture.php

This is how the plant was looking near end of the season, was sick the whole summer almost-

picture.php

BUMP
good thread and very relevant as spring is on its way quick.
to update this and mention something I didnt see here is to use fisning line strung between trees and such around a patch. use 20lb+ good line and space a foot apart from the ground up to 6ft or more leaving one spot as a doorway to get in, then just block that with branches or whatever.
Also I save up used cat litter all winter, its a predator cat smell that keeps them out, as to percentage of effectiveness I have never thought to gauge it. however I only lose a few to animals and usually to cows, cows dont care about fences they'll jump on them to get over to get at edibles, I have a garden spot near my camp that never makes anything because cows dont care about the 3 barbwire fence I put up. electric fence (bigger the better) is all they care about, or at least them f*in black angus fence jump good eating asshole cows I have to contend with.
If you have yours in a larger patch you can fence it and use a solar fencer, they are a few hundred bucks and will keep any larger animal out, rabbits, rats, mice will get thru no mater what you have. plant a few for the animals and lots for yourself.

5th

Veteran
BUMP is right...funny how many useful...and I mean the most useful posts, never find their way to the "stickied" area. Was at the hardware/farm supply store earlier today grabbing things for my up coming grow and just walked by half this stuff.

E

el dub

For those outdoor growers located in the corn belt....

Last season I protected all of my plants from rabbits and deer in the spring. However, half were in a fenced enclosure and the rest in individual cages on da prairie. No deer damage was incurred after the prairie plants outgrew their cages. My guess is that as long as there are plenty of beans and corn in the vicinity the deer have no interest in da kine.

lw

I find that once the plants are at or above about 4th node or 3-4wks old that only moose will take a bite, even then I find it spit out beside the plant it was bitten from. they are actually a very bitter tasting plant to any that would wander by and take a bite, taste tests maybe happen but not full on gorging of the total plant once the bitterness comes out. but then a dry season hunger might just mean any taste is a go. if in the bush fishing line fence works for me, deer see it humans dont unless close to it.

S

stratmandu

You've used it? How much did you use and how effective was it? I'm always looking for something effective because, frankly, a lot of the methods mentioned on this thread are totally ineffective in my area.

feenom

i had deer in my garden two years ago hoof prints all over but they didn't touch a thing, whew! the plants were real young at the time.

Latest posts

Latest posts