What's new

Original Skunk#1 at 7 weeks

i_score

fucking awsome Elevator Man, thats a hell of a skunk grow my man, you will have great hollydays with those buds!!peace

Guest423

Veteran
wow, that long for a skunk is unheard of....it shows you have real good patience though....what are your indicating factors for harvest? are you going for alot of amber trichomes? the last skunks i grew i brought to 70 days and i thought that was a long wait.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
T2U - I hoped you'd notice this thread! :)

That is a very long time, I agree - the fruity pheno finished at 67 days - in fact, I just smoked the last spliff of it, which gives you some idea how late these others are! But I usually go on a combination of trichome color and calyx swelling - assuming they both happen. I don't like couchlock weed, so I usually aim for mostly cloudy - which they are. So I guess it's only just ready, or they would have been totally amber everywhere. The other pheno is even weirder - still leafy, but growing new calyxes at an amazing rate - and now they are resinous, finally. The smell of that one is still turps/floor-cleaner/medicinal, but there's a hint of rotten fruit/vomit too - really strange. And it looks like it will be finished at 13 weeks, which has to be a record?

I just don't know if I can be bothered to keep 12-week skunks onboard, as I have a lot of other things to do. However, I'll make those decisions after I've smoked them - if they're incredible, then they'll stay, even if they don't taste good. If they're just average, then they'll have to go...

G

Elevator Man: Great plants,man. I've currently got one Skunk #1 female going from Sam's stock that Gypsy gives as freebies. It's on about day 10 or so of flower, and stands about 18" high. I imagine she'll get to about 25" before she's done(Outdoors, about 11.5/12.5 right now for our light cycle). Any idea on the yield you got from those? They look awesome. I'm hoping for at least an oz from mine.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
They don't stretch much, that's for sure - I don't think you'll see much increase in height. I should also mention that at 9 weeks I switched to a 11/13 cycle for ten days, and then 10.5/13.5 for another ten days, where it remains. The last Skunk and the final Malawi Gold should be done by the weekend, at 13 and 15 weeks respectively (phew).
As for yield, I would expect around 10 grams per top bud at least, so around 80g in total - those biggest buds were nearly 3 inches diameter at the shoulders. Obviously they'll shrink some, but not much. And trimming is a breeze...:)

WeedTime

hi elevator man,

this is great thread, i really like your plants

I like pheno 'B' cus its fast, and produce quite nice buds, smell taste is good and the plant is low. is nice one to mix with others i think

i wait for report of pheno 'C' it got fuking huge buds, but i agree, if this is only one advantage and you dont like smell/taste and the high wasnt amazing you shouldn't be interesting cus there is many 50-60 days strains which give you tha same results with much more better smell/taste

i look forward for pheno 'A' it can get you really strong maybe psychedelic sativa high, but it takes too long to get place in my garden whatever. only when it would be best shit ive smoked for months.

i like your style plants, can you tell me how they were prune and when ? btw, how long veg they had ?

PEACE

G

Right on, man. I just checked my ladies(sorry..not trying to hijack a thread..but I've been looking all over for a good Skunk 1 discussion), and my skunk1 is about 15-18 inches from the soil line with what looks to be about 7 tops total. Definitely giving me more pistils than I would've thought for a plant that's been flowering 7-10 days. I can't wait to see those skunk buds of yours when you cure them.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
They were VERY slow to indicate sex - that's one weird thing. I put them into flower at ten weeks old, and there were NO preflowers at all - took ten days of flowering to even indicate. So that's unusual for a start-off. Have a look at the first page of my thread 'My Next Grow' in the growers forum, and you can see the skunks as kiddies: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36498

I topped them twice, and they branch totally symmetrically.

Pheno 'A' is far leafier, with less pistils, and is starting to smell strong. I think one of these two phenos may be much closer to the 'RK-Skunk' flavour that the US guys are missing so much, but we ain't got no skunks here for comparison...:(

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, this is really getting strange now - I just checked the final Skunk, which is finishing off now with an insane growth of new calyxes - this time heavily resinous. I'm also getting some purpling and leaf-color change - it's been flowering so long it really is dying - even the main stalk is yellow.
But the nasty smell is changing - the turps/floor-cleaner/vomit smell is still there but fading, and it appears to be replaced with an insane honey/pears/vomit combo. Just the vomit to lose...:)
I know weed can be strange, but this one is bonkers - it's so sativa it's starting to resemble the Malawi Gold! Anyway, they will both come down on Sunday night probably, and I'll post some pics of this very strange pheno.

DarkGreen

Skunk#1 now one of the outdated 90 day wonders - Ed

Skunk#1 now one of the outdated 90 day wonders - Ed

In one of Ed Rosenthal's books, he mentions that when Skunk#1 first came out, it was one of the "90 day wonders". Even though Skunk#1 is CG x Afg x MexAcG, he also mentions that maybe some thai genetics were crossed into the skunk as well. I don't think a breeder will give 100% of their genetic recipes when providing info for a plant. So a more sativa phenotype will probably flower a lot longer than the given 56-60 days it says on the pack. So don't get on me when I mentioned the thai because it's just what I read what Ed mentioned. The 90 day flowering of sativa leaning Skunk#1 didn't surprise me, as some of those equatorials will take 6 months or longer.
Even though it may be an IBL, it seems that there are a fair amount of variance in the different phenotypes. Keep those Skunk plants going Elevator Man.....breed them along, clone them, and try and see what types emerge.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
OK - here's some of the dried buds of pheno 'C' ready for curing. They're firm, not hard like, say, my Mystery Strain, but resin throughout. The taste so far is a bit bland, but improving - thankfully nothing like metallic semen! It's a kind of a 'mellow gold' taste with a very subtle smell - nothing skunky about this one in odour terms. But is is very, very strong. Very strong indeed...:)

As for pheno 'A' - the really weird one - I'm pulling that out of the growroom tonight for a few hours in the cold dark, and will chop that tomorrow - it's still growing freaky new buds all over, and getting much more resinous now.

As for the Thai thing - may be heresy, but in this pheno at least, I'm inclined to agree - there's something very sativa in there that wasn't present in the other two - it's currently on 93 days! :chin:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
No way to delay that trouble comin' every day...

No way to delay that trouble comin' every day...

Well, here she is at last - I've pulled the plug at 94 days, which HAS to be a record for Skunk, no? Anyone gone longer?

Although it's easy to see why - this freaky monster is the most sativa-influenced of the three, and is unprecedented for me - I've never experienced such weird bud growth and overall strangeness on a plant before - this plant is so old the stalks are yellow! It was 30 inches tall from the soil-line. The smell is much better now - a sort of rotten pears, but still with a medicinal/solvent/turps stink behind - it's very strange. Hopefully drying will bring it into more normal ranges.

It's easily the most leafy of the three, and the least resinous too, but if it IS as sativa as I suspect, that would make sense. It would also imply, given the ridiculous flower-time, that the high could be stratospheric - each pheno I've grown has been stronger than the last. If not, I'll be a little disappointed, what with the extra costs of running these this long.

On the plus side, these club-sized buds are very heavy indeed, and easily the most colorful - very psychedelic-looking. It had just better be psychedelic-smoking! Sorry for the vast numbers of pics this time, but I figured folks would probably be interested in seeing as much of this one as possible... :chin:

EDIT - I shouldalso add that for the last week, there's abeen a few male flowers popping out, which suprised me for skunk, but I guess on 13+ weeks, it's likely, at least...

Last edited:

TORC

That's a beautiful girl EM. Ninety four days may just be the record for a Skunk. Looks to be excellent yielder for sure. Here's hoping she tokes well:).

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Great work all the way around E-man....

Very nicely grown plants and you can certainly make experienced/educated decisions after sampling all of the different plants...
Hope some of them turn out potent for you!!

S

stretchpuppy

Great show EM.

Thanks for posting these shots and keeping the thread updated.

Everything looks spectacular...!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well pheno 'C' is very potent indeed - smoking it now. It wears off fairly quickly, but each hit is as strong as the last. Not that flavoursome either, but that can't be helped...it still does the job though...:)

I hope this one has something special about it though - at 94 days, it has to!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well, it all went a long time ago! :)

It was nice actually - not that flavoursome, compared to the faster 'B' pheno - it was sweet and 'golden', but nothing that leapt out at you. The high was pretty potent though - nicely balanced 50/50 high, but again, quite generic - I like stuff that tweaks in unusual ways, and this one didn't - it also wears off quite quickly.

Pheno 'A', the long, 13-week pheno was much more in my department - very smooth, but pounding high that lasted for hours, and didn't let up much at all. It tasted and smoked a lot better than it smelled growing - like over-ripe peppery pears in the jar, or sweet tomato sauce - very odd. But a pain to grow for 13 weeks - it's leafy, and not much resin.

I do have much bigger versions of all these three phenos flowering now, and they should yield pretty heavy - I got around 2.5 ounces for each of the 'A' and 'C' phenos, and they were smallish plants with eight tops. These are much, much bigger, and have more like 20 tops - could be interesting...:)