What's new

OG and Chem Clone Shootout

T

THCV

sqwril, that's really nice to hear, cuz ghost has been all i know for og for years, glad i wasn't growing your least fav! Final product definitely delivers, but getting there is hard. Then again, as you can see, I have been working with her for long enough to get some decent yields without too much hassle. So if she stays on top, so be it. But I am still looking forward to discovering the nose of poison, larry and 91, because sometimes I don't like the smell of ghost in a jar after a longer cure. I mean, it stinks like a dank, dank, lemony og, but i get a little too much dank out of it. Once ground up, it always smells great. And the potency is a 10 IME.

Since you have grown a few of these other OGs, tell me, have you seen this leaf curl deformation before? It's always somewhere in my room of ghosts, even if some of my ghost clones never get it. Now that i see it on larry and poison, i'm wondering if it could be one way to ID a real OG. Like i said, none of my non-OG strains have it. could also be that OGs are more sensitive and those ones experienced some sort of stress, but i haven't seen it on other stressed plants.

wick650

Some people have not been enjoying the SAC #2, seems like it is'nt too stable in different enviorments. OGkushman/Docta & one of my local patients got it to produce strong O.G flavor with a hint of spice, while others have gotten more of a orange skunky funk, and a couple can't get it to produce any aroma/flavor of a worthy note.

I got to get you the Soul Assasin Crew cut, that I personally call the SAC #1, which came from our mutual buddy Greanthumb... that cut is really winning me over more & more.

Last edited:
T

THCV

thanks, wick, good to know. of course everyone has a different setup and environment, so a particularly finicky strain would yield very different results depending on the grower. And I think it is well understood that OGs, in general, are more difficult to grow. But seeing as my goal is to beat ghost, sac2 is definitely trailing, and even potentially removing itself from veg if it doesn't improve. Ain't got time for underperforming OGs! :cuss:

sac1, huh? is that the 70-day cut?

wick650 said:
Pewp/Dusty Bowls/Danimal-
We're anti-hype and, that's the purpose of this thread. I'll be the first to say the best O.G cut is the one you can dial in the best.

What makes the SAC #2 special, is that its the only O.G Kush flavor that naturally grows tight internodes, and has great commercial potential.

True be that brotha. Preach it!
:headbange

I sampled the S.A.C.#2 that we obtained and was dissapointed with the taste. This sample came from a respectable source, so it wasn't the grower. I got a sweet earthy flavor from the SAC#2. It was more of a sweet earthy non-OGish flavor. It did not taste like OG Kush at all. Although, I was impressed with the tight internodle spacing and yeild the flavor wasn't there. Matbe the #1 or #3 have that OG flavor? Remember this is my personal opinion of the taste and in no way am i trying to bash this pheno. Wick650, hopefully the SCC can run the SAC#1 one day and experience the real flavor of the SAC phenos.
SCC2

Americangrower

Veteran
Wow.....super healthy looking ladies THCV......... :headbange

I have tasted quite a few OG's ..most tend to be as you describe dank/lemon... I grow the Chem D (more bugspray tasting :bashhead: ) but my favorite for flavor is Sour Diesel...grapefruit/carrots/sour dank..

Great grow.. be safe :rasta:

wick650

SCC-
I'd love to help you obtain the S.A.C #1. BTW all the S.A.C cuts #1-3 all came from different unrelated individuals, I just numbered them in order to prevent confusion. S.A.C #1 & #3 are pure O.G Kush cuts, while the S.A.C#2 is obviously a O.G Kush hybrid of sorts.

S.A.C #1 came from Soul Assasin Crew growers located in the San Fernando Valley, S.A.C #2 was reportedly given to OGkushman/Most High by DJ Muggs himself and the SAC #3 cut was sourced out of the Valley from another S.A.C aphiliate DJ by Hortipharm Josh. The #3 is also popularly known in as the "Santa Barbara Purple O.G", the #3 grows like traditional O.G, but as said has the potential to turn dark purple, it has a bizarre "medecine" note along with the other typical O.G kush aromatic undertones. The #3 has hermy tendancies which, oddly, have seemed to becom more prevalent as the mother has aged.

THCV-
I was told by the source of the cut that the S.A.C #1 was a more sativa/slightly later finishing O.G cut.... but in IME & others, it actually finishes about the same time as the rest of type traditional O.G's. I take all my O.G cuts around 70 days
Stacked calyx structure O.G, big calyxs, contrasting neon orange hairs, less fuel undertones strong lemon pinesol funk undertones. In general, O.G Kush has many complex indescribable undertones that comprise its aroma, S.A.C has a indescribable undertone in that O.G lemon pinesol spectrum of essence that comes out more prominently in this one than others.

Last edited:
G

How large should the SAC be vegged to ? if i want 1 - 2 foot plants. Mine right now are around 10 inches and are kinda small ...

T

THCV

oh please, pewp. we all know how impossible it is to verify the original source of almost any cut, minus a few like schrom (can't do DNA tests--yet). The only thing that matters is, how good is it when you grow it out? I am willing to find out, and that's what i am sharing in this thread. Please try and cool it with the agro approach, wick has done the community a great service, and he seeks out only the best. I'm sure if we all say SAC2 sucks, he'd stop giving it out. People haven't really been discussing it much until this thread. Ain't nothing wrong with badseed either, you know very well "bagseed" has been the source of many killer nugs and new strains. Just cuz a bagseed is good enough to get passed around as a cut is no reason to hate--actually, it's something to appreciate!

wick, i would run sac1, why not? all ogs welcome.

As for SAC2, I must say it has no commercial potential as far as i can see. But I have no problem with stretch, as many og growers seem to. If someone was having problems with an OG overgrowing their 400w cab or something, it might be that a little bonzai SAC2 OG plant that is easier to manage, it does have beyond tight internodes. Aside from that, it vegges very slowly, making for a smaller plant come flower time, and it barely grows any bigger in flower, and the buds aren't as dense as the others. So I don't see the commercial potential, regardless of what the final product is. It seems like the lowest yielder not just of my OGs, but of any cut i have running. Then again I only have one flowering. But in my room, i don't give'em two chances; it's trial by fire! Yield or die. Still, it has 3 weeks to go, so it could come back from behind and kick ass. Only time will tell. But this is a competition, and SAC2 is in the rear.

wick650 said:
SCC-
I'd love to help you obtain the S.A.C #1. BTW all the S.A.C cuts #1-3 all came from different unrelated individuals, I just numbered them in order to prevent confusion. S.A.C #1 & #3 are pure O.G Kush cuts, while the S.A.C#2 is obviously a O.G Kush hybrid of sorts.

S.A.C #1 came from Soul Assasin Crew growers located in the San Fernando Valley, S.A.C #2 was reportedly given to OGkushman/Most High by DJ Muggs himself and the SAC #3 cut was sourced out of the Valley from another S.A.C aphiliate DJ by Hortipharm Josh. The #3 is also popularly known in as the "Santa Barbara Purple O.G", the #3 grows like traditional O.G, but as said has the potential to turn dark purple, it has a bizarre "medecine" note along with the other typical O.G kush aromatic undertones. The #3 has hermy tendancies which, oddly, have seemed to becom more prevalent as the mother has aged.

THCV-
I was told by the source of the cut that the S.A.C #1 was a more sativa/slightly later finishing O.G cut.... but in IME & others, it actually finishes about the same time as the rest of type traditional O.G's.
Stacked calyx structure O.G, big calyxs, contrasting neon orange hairs, less fuel undertones strong lemon pinesol funk undertones. In general, O.G Kush has many complex indescribable undertones that comprise its aroma, S.A.C has a indescribable undertone in that O.G lemon pinesol spectrum of essence that comes out more prominently in this one than others.

Whick650- That SAC#1 sounds good. More of a traditional OG. I'de like that better. As long as the OG flavor is there we'll give her a try.

THCV- Thanks for finally doing a side by side to clear some of the confusion about all the OG and Chem cuts. It's about time someone stepped up to the plate!

T

THCV

pewp said:
THCV Have you ever obtained a clone from a non online non med club source?

You bet i have! 2 different long time growers who left town and gave me their genetics. Ultimately, it was total crap, and it took forever to figure it out. They had told me some very bs stories about how awesome the cuts were, so I stuck with them for too many cycles, hoping for the best, but no. So much for the "non-internet"! These guys never used the web or med clubs (suspicious). Maybe they should have, they could have found better gear!

pewp said:
Is it really that hard?

Is that a rhetorical question? This is the internet, in a illegal biz. Yes, finding out the truth about a cut's origin is that hard, even if you knew someone who grew it for 10 years. They might say "it was killer bagseed i scored in 98". Oh thanks, that clears up a lot. :redface: Honestly, i don't care about the history all that much. While it is interesting, it's usually inaccurate. And all i care about is performance.

pewp said:
THCV I applaud what you are doing, spending money to test these clones out...we all know, time, space, effort...it costs. So thank you...But why do you need to be the guinea pig....for someone like Wick or Swerve who is so tied in to OG Kush...Why don't they just have one and why isn't that one THE ONE and why isn't it EVERYWHERE ?

Well, first off, not everyone is going to have the same opinion about which is best, so there isn't really THE ONE, it's a personal thing. And an environmental/technique thing. So what might be best for me might not be best for you. And i am not doing this for anyone but myself! Believe me, if i like, say, Ghost better than Poison, it isn't the final word, just my experience. But inasmuch as it can be a guide for others, fine with me. Also, the idea that Swerve or Wick are so tied into OG...that's funny. They have done a lot to get previously hoarded strains out, but where i live EVERYONE is "so tied into OG". Many of them are never, ever online. So you won't see them posting, but they sure know their og.

Swollen Calyx 2 said:
THCV- Thanks for finally doing a side by side to clear some of the confusion about all the OG and Chem cuts. It's about time someone stepped up to the plate!

My pleasure SC2. I had been wanting to see a thread like this, and finally realized I had to just do it myself.
:rasta:

T

THCV

wick's Larry is certainly not much of an OG hybrid. As you can see, it grows just like ghost and poison. Yield looks the same so far. I don't think it is a hybrid. It is possible that you two are talking about 2 different Larry cuts of course, since there are probably quite a few dudes named Larry that grow. Regardless, wick's Larry is some dank, and as I said, I only care about the backstory for fun, but i take them all with a grain of salt. Proof is in the pudding.

Thanks for continuing your argument outside this thread.

Thanks for the side by side Grow THCV....Your saving people lots of trouble....Which OGKUSH is the best so far IYHO???? Thanks.

T

THCV

devilsharvest, i can't yet choose which is the best. Really, that needs to wait until they have a month cure. But so far, everything but SAC2 is doing great. My Ghosts are bigger, so they will yield more for sure, but the growing buds of Larry, Poison and Ghost are tied in terms of smell, look, and density. 3 way tie.

wick650

Can't wait for the following round with the H.A cut, Orgnkid's XXX & Private Reserve added into the mix. looking forward to some swollen calyxs!

Last edited:
looks killer THCV. Its cool your documenting the test runs for all us weed heads...much appreciated. If your thinking or running the chem4, you might want to reconsider. its a good producer, but not much in the way of taste. imho

I've got an OG pheno that I got from bagseed and have been running for a few years. I call it "Celebrity Kush" or just "Celebrity". Hopefully it will soon reach the med community and you can include it in your tests.
Heres a pic with two celebrities in the back right. the plant on the lower left is a "Sweet Sensi Kush" its a Celebrity X Sensi Star i did about a year ago. it too is awesome. :headbange

G

hey thcv i was wondering if anything cool has transpired since your last update