What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

octagon growketel project 800w

Mr.Jones

vert using a medium, your going to have top plants drying out before the bottom ones.

if you could dail in an aero, you would absolutely love this sort of system.

im sure i would im just ver afraid of the pump bugging around or the reservoir going dry ... :1help:

The reason I recommended something like a shower head is the diffusion it would give you. Still, any nozzle that will make it spray a wider mist rather than drops would give you a lot more dissolved oxygen.

As for splitting the system, I'm just suggesting that because in times of major repair or overhaul, being able to open the whole thing like a giant clam shell would be great. I could be misinterpreting your layout though.

yeah sounds good but like i said above if i fail or the pump fails the whole system is done ... all walls are removable like this:

and even the top can be opened up like this:

Mr.Jones

I'm eager to see what it can do :)

tomorrow im gonna drill the holes for the netpots ...

so now some people please help me:
what size of a pump do i need to topfeed 24/7 ... i thought about maybe around 200 gallons per hour? or 800l/h?

to topfeed i thought of using adjustable drippers (they can be adjusted from 0-20l/h):
37070218.jpg

what dou you think???

and please can somebody move this thread to the vertical forum?

Mr.Jones

okay im gonna update tonight - i have to do some adjustments of the pipes when i mount the drain but thats not gonna take alot of time so ill be done in maybe two days with the whole systems - YEAH!

clones are rooting - maybe 20 until now so i need another 44 to root to have a sucessful system!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE VERTICAL FORUM?
thanks

Mr.Jones

so here is the real update!

im nearly done accept of:

-fitting in the cooltube in the middle (takes a half an hour to do that)
-fitting in the pvc pipes and adding the drain (hopefully around 2 hours)
-filling in the hydroton
-creating some thing to keep the pipes in place when closed

so this how it looks right now:

whole thing closed

opened up

pump is also visible

drippers

and the innerlife

would love to get some feedback

and if nobody moves this thread im gonna start a new one when its done! (im gonna tell and relink if i do so here)

keylime

Well, I've grown for some time and am seriously considering some kind of vertical grow. Mr Jones, yours looks great! The light is how big? I imagine the holes under the light in the white tubing are air intake for the light? Your pipe looks like it is not gonna be adjustable? Also, will you be able to bring the top of the pipe outward as the plant grows? I guess its similar to a stadium, is the light going to be adjustable, by that I mean you can raise it without problems?

If I were you on the feeding, I would run a 1/2" pvc up the back of the pipe, and cap it at the top. Then drill holes in there for a foot of 1/4" tubing for each net pot. I would tie 4 of them together at the bottom, and run a 300-500 gph pond pump for each 4 pipes. I would not use any drippers, and just stick the 1/4" tube into the netpot and let her rip. I presently have a 300 gph pump handling 15-18 plants with no problems doing this without any drippers, just stick the 1/4" tubing in there. It will never clog on ya either!

keylime

Power13

Real nice job Mr. Jones. Only thing I might suggest is caps for the tops of each tube. Its more sanitary, and they only cost a few bucks each. Just drill a hole in each one, so the spray head can fit right in.

Mr.Jones

Well, I've grown for some time and am seriously considering some kind of vertical grow. Mr Jones, yours looks great! The light is how big? I imagine the holes under the light in the white tubing are air intake for the light? Your pipe looks like it is not gonna be adjustable? Also, will you be able to bring the top of the pipe outward as the plant grows? I guess its similar to a stadium, is the light going to be adjustable, by that I mean you can raise it without problems?

If I were you on the feeding, I would run a 1/2" pvc up the back of the pipe, and cap it at the top. Then drill holes in there for a foot of 1/4" tubing for each net pot. I would tie 4 of them together at the bottom, and run a 300-500 gph pond pump for each 4 pipes. I would not use any drippers, and just stick the 1/4" tube into the netpot and let her rip. I presently have a 300 gph pump handling 15-18 plants with no problems doing this without any drippers, just stick the 1/4" tubing in there. It will never clog on ya either!

keylime

why should the light be adjustable? i mean the purpose of my vertical tower is to have the light perfectly centered so that every plant is going to get the same amount of light!

i actually use a 300 gallon pump at the moment but still got drippers in place to regulate the waterflow ... but i can easiely remove them ...

thanks for your reply (have a picture for you of the dripping system!

Very nice craftsmanship !!
I'd be proud if i'd have made it.

Take care ---- CB

thanks alot :joint:

Real nice job Mr. Jones. Only thing I might suggest is caps for the tops of each tube. Its more sanitary, and they only cost a few bucks each. Just drill a hole in each one, so the spray head can fit right in.

yeah those caps are for the other side of the pipes (used them for draining the nutrient solution

here today i finished 3 walls and the first 24 plants are in place:

drippers in action:

whole system:

8xchronic, 8x shivaskunk:

8xwhite widow:

enjoy and pray that they survive the night! :nanana:

2stoge

looking great! you have me wanting to rethink my room. how much did you spend on the build? Thanks for sharing this.

Mr.Jones

i think about 300 for everything accept of the light (cooltube,ballast,...) and the air outtake (25bucks) - still got to get a filtre ...

i would calculate about 500-700 hundret for everything - well for a usual grow you have to pay at least 200-300$ as well!

thanks for stepping by! :woohoo:

Carboy

MJ~
There is a cap that is made for temporary blocking of a pipe (i believe for keeping dirt out while someone is putting it in a ditch). Shaped kinda like a dish and the rim uses the pipe as a shoulder ---- if that makes sense. Less than a buck a piece and would work great.
Curious why you didn't pull the light cooling air from bottom outside the cab.

Later --- CB

Mr.Jones

MJ~
There is a cap that is made for temporary blocking of a pipe (i believe for keeping dirt out while someone is putting it in a ditch). Shaped kinda like a dish and the rim uses the pipe as a shoulder ---- if that makes sense. Less than a buck a piece and would work great.
Curious why you didn't pull the light cooling air from bottom outside the cab.

Later --- CB

because i use a very fragile vent and if those pull in the air from the cooltube they might get too hot and tend to break - so im pushing thru :nanana:

im gonna search for this caps!

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
ima keep up with this one. as i love vert grows. nice, very nice.

k++

C

cork144

cant wait to see those plants in a week or so!

props on your work man, youve done very well.

Power13

Mr. Jones, I believe i may have been mis-understood. I was talking about capping off the top of each collumn filled with hydroton. I'm not certain what size pipe your using but it looks like 4" or 6" pipe. They sell caps for both for around 1.50 a piece.

Mr.Jones

Mr. Jones, I believe i may have been mis-understood. I was talking about capping off the top of each collumn filled with hydroton. I'm not certain what size pipe your using but it looks like 4" or 6" pipe. They sell caps for both for around 1.50 a piece.

nope thats what i understood too - i need to put something on the top so the hydroton wont fall out when i flip the walls ... so thats a good idea

cant wait to see those plants in a week or so!

props on your work man, youve done very well.

me too - thanks :)

ima keep up with this one. as i love vert grows. nice, very nice.

k++

thanks man!!

some plants start to rise but the chronic still looks very weak

someone asked for the size of the light - at the moment its 250 but might step up to 400

should i start a whole new diary for this one or keep on posting in here??

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Looks good. I know you're still holding out on those moon people clones! Not sure how that thing is gonna fly with all that heavy bud that will be growing in there.

keylime

Mr Jones, Thanks for the pic of the dripping system. That's a lot better and simpler than my idea. The reason I suggested the adjustable light is because I read Northern Farmer raises his lights as the grow progresses.

Keylime