What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

octagon growketel project 800w

C

cork144

if you got the proper sprayer nossels, for an aero unit, then you wouldnt need medium.

Ever think about hinging each side of the octagon to a base so they could "fall outward"? You could even put the whole system on a lazy suzan.....it would make plant maintenance a breeze. It would even be possible to throw in scrog screens for each side. The hinged sides and lazy susan would make plumbing complicated, but with the ability to train you could cut your numbers in half while still maintaining yeild and a very short veg time.

Mr.Jones

if you got the proper sprayer nossels, for an aero unit, then you wouldnt need medium.

how much are those? ... i mean it that would be possible the system just would be a dream! what kind of pump would i need - electricity bill does matter

Ever think about hinging each side of the octagon to a base so they could "fall outward"? You could even put the whole system on a lazy suzan.....it would make plant maintenance a breeze. It would even be possible to throw in scrog screens for each side. The hinged sides and lazy susan would make plumbing complicated, but with the ability to train you could cut your numbers in half while still maintaining yeild and a very short veg time.

you mean like this?:

scroging would be possible i guess! ... i try to run it on as many plants as it takes to see what is possible at first - i might do that on my bigger system later if this design does prove itself :)

thanks for the replies - thx for input

Mr.Jones

You could even put the whole system on a lazy suzan.....it would make plant maintenance a breeze.

this is a very good idea! ... i always thought i would put it on rolls but that would be awesome ... just spin it to get to the plants - i have to see how i could manage that the tubes are not ripped out

I was meaning hinging the whole framed sides, but what you pictured where the tubes would tilt out would work well too. The only problem I foresee with the movable tubes is trying to stuff overgrown plants back through the frame.

For the lazy susan, I'd think the easiest way to get away with it would be to have 1 main feed and 1 main drain line. Design it so the lines cane be temporarily disconnected while doing maintenance, placing on/off valves at the connection point(on the side of the octagon) would help limit spillage.

I really like this system, cant wait to see how it turns out for you.

Mr.Jones

I was meaning hinging the whole framed sides, but what you pictured where the tubes would tilt out would work well too. The only problem I foresee with the movable tubes is trying to stuff overgrown plants back through the frame.

how would you do that - i mean i need somekind of frame so the whole thing does fall apart right? - its interessting because this is just a trail system and maybe ill change stuff like that concerning the next version

the last few weeks will be a tease but maybe ill just lollipop them so theres just one headbud - when they are 8" tall the space enlighted in the octagon will be a lot smaller so they can be held pretty slim

For the lazy susan, I'd think the easiest way to get away with it would be to have 1 main feed and 1 main drain line. Design it so the lines cane be temporarily disconnected while doing maintenance, placing on/off valves at the connection point(on the side of the octagon) would help limit spillage.

that would cross out a lot of problems

I really like this system, cant wait to see how it turns out for you.

hopefully good ... :nanana:

thanks for the comment!

i wonder if the plants need a lot more water in comparison to a normal 250w flat system!? ... i would calculate maye twice as much?

im very excited - my mother plants are growing like crazy - they need to give 64 clones - never made this much at once

how would you do that - i mean i need somekind of frame so the whole thing does fall apart right? - its interessting because this is just a trail system and maybe ill change stuff like that concerning the next version

For simple 1 sided access where the roof is never removed, you shouldnt need any other support. You will need a method of latching the walls to the roof with little play, I'd probably go with a dowel pin holes drilled through the roof into the top of each frame. When the walls are pinned to the roof, the varying hinge angles of each side will cause the structure to become rigid.

For a removable roof, you are going to need someway to latch the sides to each other. Wouldnt want to remove the roof and have the walls and your girls come falling down.

If you want to open multiple sides like in the picture, you would probably be best off building a small interior frame to support the roof. Something like 4 dowel colums just interior of the walls would work well, not block light, and take up very little space.

Tiltable sides will bring about 1 problem though, lightproofing. Its not too bad, just need 16 strips of wood cut the proper angle(1/2 the angle of the gap between the sides) and dimensions, and some weatherstripping. Theres probably other ways to do it, but thats what popped into my mind

Guess I'm rambling on now....

Mr.Jones

so now after a while im back with some new progress! ... i didnt have much time to build but i actually did finish the walls and started to think about how to water the pipes - i took clones and pulled the 250w off my cab and replaced it with some 125w cfl :woohoo:!

so pictures (one wall isnt up yet because of some trouble):

cooltube is not mounted yet ... next step!

thats how its gonna look - if someone wants an allover picture just ask for it!

now my final picture:

its on its way!

im happy for every single comment!

Mr.Jones

ok no point in posting some cut off pictures ... did a allover one:

For simple 1 sided access where the roof is never removed, you shouldnt need any other support. You will need a method of latching the walls to the roof with little play, I'd probably go with a dowel pin holes drilled through the roof into the top of each frame. When the walls are pinned to the roof, the varying hinge angles of each side will cause the structure to become rigid.

For a removable roof, you are going to need someway to latch the sides to each other. Wouldnt want to remove the roof and have the walls and your girls come falling down.

If you want to open multiple sides like in the picture, you would probably be best off building a small interior frame to support the roof. Something like 4 dowel colums just interior of the walls would work well, not block light, and take up very little space.

Tiltable sides will bring about 1 problem though, lightproofing. Its not too bad, just need 16 strips of wood cut the proper angle(1/2 the angle of the gap between the sides) and dimensions, and some weatherstripping. Theres probably other ways to do it, but thats what popped into my mind

Guess I'm rambling on now....

by the way i read your comment and think those are good points to change for my next version (if this does well)

C

cork144

sorry man i cant give anymore infomation on areo, but theres probably alot about it in the hydro forum.

Mr.Jones

I like it, can't wait to see it in use...

this may be a dumb question, but what goes in the netpots?

and I'm curious what the measurement is from the light to the pipe?

in the netpots go rockwoolcubes ... hopefully they fit in there :yeahthats

sorry man i cant give anymore infomation on areo, but theres probably alot about it in the hydro forum.

i like the thought because it sounds pretty effective and easy to me but its too much of a challenge to do both - vetical and aero - the first time together!
and if the pump fails once the whole thing needs to be redone so thats kinda uncool about it ...

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you've gotta be dedicated to the system to run vertical or aero, but both together!?!
whooosh..... too much for me, man.
i'm once a day on maintenance, not once an hour. if your pump goes out on those systems you're fizznucked, properly. that is unless you catch it in time.
pretty big if, if you ask me. more like a when, really.
good luck mr. jones

Mr.Jones

you've gotta be dedicated to the system to run vertical or aero, but both together!?!
whooosh..... too much for me, man.
i'm once a day on maintenance, not once an hour. if your pump goes out on those systems you're fizznucked, properly. that is unless you catch it in time.
pretty big if, if you ask me. more like a when, really.
good luck mr. jones

i think you didnt get me ... :nanana: ... im just gonna do hydro this time but maybe aero sometimes later - both together would be insane

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Why not let gravity run your sprayer nozzles? Gather water up at the top of the pipes in a sealed portion, then let it drain through a nozzle at the bottom, which would constrict it and make it spray. You could use a hose sprayer nozzle for this even. The fittings would be easier to get that way too. Or a shower head, that would also be a great choice, probably better even than the hose nozzle. Anyway, the water sprays from those, drips down through your hydroton, and then as the water accumulates down there, it's pumped back up to the top again. You'd want one of those pumps that shuts off when it goes dry though, so it doesn't get ahead of itself, but so you can also still use a big enough pump.

Another suggestion would be to split the octagon into two halves(if you haven't already). Put recessed hinges on one side connecting the two halves. Then you can put a latch/lock on the other side. On the side with the hinges, just take some black material(landscaping fabric would work), and staple it over where the hinges are, to avoid light leaks. On the side with the latch, staple down one side of it, and use buttons to close it up over the top of the latch. This adjustment would make it so super easy to work on the plants.

Cool system though, I'm looking forward to seeing what it does for you!

T

Teeg420

Go ahead man take the aero route make me proud! Nah whatever works for you works for my friend. I intially thought I was gonna go aero but im so glad i went media filled.

So how is the "growketel" coming along?

P

purpledomgoddes

aeroponics is simply 100% humidity in the root zone. can run 1 feed line to each pipe, 24/7, and just let it drain down and recirculate it. really no need for this/that sprayer doing aero - just water vapor/water.

can use cheap dollar store knee pads, or foam sleeping mats, cut to fit, for neoprene inserts. would not be scared of aero. member pirate's aeroponics tutorial is excellent, and very scalable.

system looks nicely done to fit needs of your garden. props.

would have just used 4 rectangular trash cans w/ holes cut in the wide sides, but each garden/er will do their own thing, their own way. this is what makes icmag special!

enjoy your garden!

Mr.Jones

Why not let gravity run your sprayer nozzles? Gather water up at the top of the pipes in a sealed portion, then let it drain through a nozzle at the bottom, which would constrict it and make it spray. You could use a hose sprayer nozzle for this even. The fittings would be easier to get that way too. Or a shower head, that would also be a great choice, probably better even than the hose nozzle. Anyway, the water sprays from those, drips down through your hydroton, and then as the water accumulates down there, it's pumped back up to the top again. You'd want one of those pumps that shuts off when it goes dry though, so it doesn't get ahead of itself, but so you can also still use a big enough pump.

Another suggestion would be to split the octagon into two halves(if you haven't already). Put recessed hinges on one side connecting the two halves. Then you can put a latch/lock on the other side. On the side with the hinges, just take some black material(landscaping fabric would work), and staple it over where the hinges are, to avoid light leaks. On the side with the latch, staple down one side of it, and use buttons to close it up over the top of the latch. This adjustment would make it so super easy to work on the plants.

Cool system though, I'm looking forward to seeing what it does for you!

in think im planning the water system what you told me ... i bought some drippers which are adjustable going from 2-20l/h ... just one per pipe and drain it at the bottom ...

light prove the system will be tough one ... see maybe im just running it not sealed :p (lazy bum i am)

why would i need to split the system? ... sure it would be easily portable then but since the walls are removable i think i can work with the plants pretty well :nanana:

Go ahead man take the aero route make me proud! Nah whatever works for you works for my friend. I intially thought I was gonna go aero but im so glad i went media filled.

So how is the "growketel" coming along?

im gonna begin working in 2 days again ... then im gonna put in the net pots and think about watering and how to mount the cooltubes - so long the latest pictures show the system how its right now

aeroponics is simply 100% humidity in the root zone. can run 1 feed line to each pipe, 24/7, and just let it drain down and recirculate it. really no need for this/that sprayer doing aero - just water vapor/water.

can use cheap dollar store knee pads, or foam sleeping mats, cut to fit, for neoprene inserts. would not be scared of aero. member pirate's aeroponics tutorial is excellent, and very scalable.

system looks nicely done to fit needs of your garden. props.

would have just used 4 rectangular trash cans w/ holes cut in the wide sides, but each garden/er will do their own thing, their own way. this is what makes icmag special!

enjoy your garden!

... gonna check out the tutorial ... can you explain to me how you would set up aero in vertical pipes - just let it drip from the top on the rootmass?
i mean running aero would make the system even better!!

C

cork144

vert using a medium, your going to have top plants drying out before the bottom ones.

if you could dail in an aero, you would absolutely love this sort of system.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
in think im planning the water system what you told me ... i bought some drippers which are adjustable going from 2-20l/h ... just one per pipe and drain it at the bottom ...

light prove the system will be tough one ... see maybe im just running it not sealed :p (lazy bum i am)

why would i need to split the system? ... sure it would be easily portable then but since the walls are removable i think i can work with the plants pretty well :nanana:

The reason I recommended something like a shower head is the diffusion it would give you. Still, any nozzle that will make it spray a wider mist rather than drops would give you a lot more dissolved oxygen.

As for splitting the system, I'm just suggesting that because in times of major repair or overhaul, being able to open the whole thing like a giant clam shell would be great. I could be misinterpreting your layout though.