What's new

Micro Hydro Virgin needs a guide...

dotblunt

Way to stick with it, Hydro is simple once you get it dialed in, next grow hopefully you'll get lush green leaves with no spots!

DB

i cant believe no one has suggested this. get rid of that topfin PHdown. Get some hydro ph down. And if you take the advice above and use RO water you wont have to do rezs changes until you ppm gets outta hand. The backbone to the lucas formula is RO water, IMO. Your water parms will be much more simple to keep put at a steady level. plus its 5bucks a jug to change your rez twice. Why not? Hell I gotta keep 55g topped of daily of RO water. Just make sure you get some calmag if you use it. This will also help your Cal. problem you are having. Looking a shit ton better though, keep it up and you will be rewarded.

Last edited:
F

fully baked

Thanks for the advice Rastafarian. I actually changed back to my regular tap water, because the cal problem started up when I switched. This last changeout happened with that nasty tap water and the lucas formula. It seems like the grocery list never stops with this hydro stuff. So now I'll add hydro ph down and calmag to the list also. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the encouragement dotblunt :joint:

I went ahead and topped of the res again today. It was down to half, so I topped it with nearly full strength nutes. 6.25 ml Micro and 12.5 ml Bloom per gallon. pH is at 5.9. I also gave them a spray down with the floramite I got yesterday. After my original coating back on the 15th, some mites had come back and since then I think I've been good. That formula works wonders. All I've read is how hard they are to deal with.

Here's some non yellow pics today. At least non yellow from the light...

Some different shots...

Some full lady shots...

Until next time,
FB

aside from the problems stated above it seems like you are moving along nicely. hope everything works out. havent had time to update my operation but expect one soon.
Keep your freak flag flying and joint papers rollin.
JB

Last edited:
F

fully baked

Johnny Blaze said:
aside from the problems stated above it seems like you are moving along nicely. hope everything works out. havent had time to update my operation but expect one soon.
Keep your freak flag flying and joint papers rollin.
JB

Wish I could, some people came to my crib and smoked all my joint papers. :bashhead:

F

fully baked

And here we go again. I think I have my problem figured out....

All my root growth has stopped from the shimmering white it used to have and is now a tan-ish deal. No slime growing on them, but they definitely aren't a nice healthy white. Unfortunately, the box is so shallow a majority of the roots sit on the water and the rest tangle up most of the air bubbles. Not to mention the 22 degree water temperature, I think I have a mild case of root rot. I've been adding h202 at increasing dosages and haven't really seen much improvement.

I honestly believe it has a good portion to do with the setup of the SWC. I have two air stones going across, but the root system in there is too big for those two air stones to be hitting everything.

Now all I need is someone to confirm my theory and tell me that root rot will do this to my girls. Edges of the leaves are crispy with brown spots appearing towards the ends and working its way up the leaves. It's hit the fan leaves the hardest, and there haven't been problems with the bud leaves. Some of the hairs are turning brown and drying up much quicker than anything I've grown before. All roots are now a light brown with no slime though.

Heres some shots. I was playing with some different settings on my camera, and just ending up taking shots of some of the nicer looking bud clusters...

Thanks for any help, or just for looking.
FB

Sordid

I also have a micro SWC going on, single plant in a ~2gallon container; I've had CalMag issues (both calcium rust spots and magnesium neon-green leaf outer edges) that were reconciled with CalMag +.

I use Earth Juice Grow and Bloom, both of which lower the pH. During flower i've been doing res changes and adding only Bloom and CalMag, and so far it's doing alright... does appear to be some nitrogen overdose (ramhorn leaves, slightly burnt tips), but that could have just been from the hell of a time the plant had by being switched from soil to hydro, ha. I do hope I am not seeing the beginnings of root rot.

It looks like you're doing great so far! Bad calcium issues but the budsites are looking nice in spite of it. Hopefully the two of us won't have to shell out $45 for Hygrozyme. >_<

Last edited:
F

fully baked

Thanks for the advice Sordid. But I come with bad news to bear. The stress popped a few nanners on the underside of the scrog that I didn't see until the buds started to swell up. Seeded....

This on top of all the other issues, pics will be far less frequent, as I am beginning to rethink my setup and am gonna start on a new project soon. I might go back to soil just because of the simplicity. I know I can get good buds with soil...

Maybe some seeded pics later. I'm gonna go burn away my disappointment and start scheming. :joint:

_Dude

I stopped reading about halfway through, sorry if I'm repeating something already posted. And I haven't looked at the your pics. But if you're still wondering how to get res temps down, short of spending a lot of cash I'd:

1) ventilate properly - hot air out means cooler res.
2) insulate my res with Reflectix (sp?).
3) lightproof my res.

_Dude

If you're having problems keeping the res aerated, consider a small water pump. Direct the flow up, to the top of the res, and then let it fall so it makes the biggest splash possible. Lots of surface agitation = aeration.

F

fully baked

Dude - Thanks for the advice but I've done much of what you already said.... I guess thats the result of not reading over the thread. I appreciate the advice though...

JB - Beans suck, I don't have to tell u that though :fsu: I have plans laid out on the drawing board, I just have to figure out which one I wanna go with

Here's a little shot of how she's doing. The beans are forming, and probably represent half of the buds on the girl. I'll still get some smoke out of it at least. Now my real question... There were very few pollen sacs that popped up, and she didn't do this to me outside. I'm fairly certain the hermie was due to all that stress I put her through, but the beans were femmed to begin with. Are these beans growing now going to be hermie too? or will they end up being femmed seeds as I'm not to sure how that all works?

Here's some pics of her progress, I've been adding a large portion of H202 to the res each time I top off and she seems to like it. I've seen a bit of new growth as of lately, and the buds are starting to swell a little. Root rot is settling in and I don't wanna shell out for hygrozyme on this already failed science project.

Here's some eye candy ...

Relatively seed free bud...

Seeded tiny bud...

I think this is the cola, not sure at all though haha. Its a maze under the screen.

And some whole shots...

Peace love and green...
FB

F

fully baked

8 day hiatus is a success...

8 day hiatus is a success...

After an 8 day hiatus from my pregnant lady, I returned today to find her in decent shape. Some further browning of leaves, but the buds definitely swelled up a little. I went ahead and made a trip to the hydro store during my hiatus. I returned with...

Hydroponic pH Down
Hygrozyme
Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus
Fox farm Happy Frog Organic soil

So I added to her res (which was still at about 1/3 of capacity even after 8 days) the following per gallon...

6.25 mL Micro
12.5 mL Bloom
10 mL Cal-Mag Plus
10 mL Hygrozyme
And pH balanced it to 5.8 --> A note to anyone else using aquarium pH down... Go and get some hydro pH down, it took 90% less to balance out the pH.

Hopefully she likes it and the hygrozyme does what it is suppose to do, even though it may be a little too late in the game at this point. Pictures of her later tonight when the lights come on...

I spoke to a friendly face here and was told the BB seeds this girl made should be alright still. So more girls to play with!!

I also went about making a second cab to flower in, and am going to convert my current cab into a veg/mom area. Now that I have the second cab, time to plant some beans!!

I have some variety from the past two years. These were thrown into paper towels and tupperware today...

1 - Double Strawberry Diesel from Rez
2 - Blueberry Fems from mDanzig
5 - Holy Grails from Verite
1 - Hashberry from Mandala
1 - New Purple Power from Nirvana
5 - Hashberry (m) x NPP (f) --> further dubbed New Hashberry for simplicity

I'm thinking im going to do a combo hydro/soil grow and try to fine tune the SWC while I'm at it. The New Hashberry will be the guinea pigs as I still have at least 100 of those beans lying around. The rest are the ends of the packs and will be grown out in soil till they can be sexed and cloned. I wanna make moms to fill up that veg cab!

The second cab isn't quite done, so the beans will get me motivated to finish it. Pics of the new cab later tonight with the update...

Peace, Love, and Mary Jane,
FB

Last edited:
F

fully baked

Here's some pics, first the BB lady at Day 49...

And the beginnings of the cab. I found her in the garbage and was only missing a drawer and a back... Here she is from the front. I added an additional 4" of height by making a frame to sit on top out of 2x4's. Then there was a missing drawer where the piece of particle board is. That will all be painted black sometime tomorrow to match the bottom.

Here's the shot from the back. There is about 15 inches of headroom above the screen on the SWC in the background. The screen itself sits 8" above the rubbermaid that is invisible in the pic. I want to try to get two girls in there. The two jugs will be filled with soil and will house a lady each weather permitting.

It will be lit with 6-23w CFL's and is 2.29 square feet. So I'm looking around 60w/square foot. I picked up 3 sockets that plug into the wall and 3-2 way splitters to house the 6 bulbs (The same setup as the lights in my other cab with the BB lady). I don't know how I'm going to make a reflector and hang them yet but I have hooks, chains and want to be able to move them up and down. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Still have yet to cut the ventilation holes, but I'm thinking I will place a fan at the bottom for intake, and have adjustable ducting that will be moved between the lights and the canopy. There will be an exaust fan mounted at the top back corner.

Here's an idea on what I'm talking about. The lights are just there, that's not necessarily how I'm going to mount them...

Advice, comments are always welcome,
FB

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Nice come-back:) At least you'll get some bud now. When I first saw those roots I thought she was a goner... but then you showed us more and more white roots popping out:) K+:)

F

fully baked

Thanks for the good vibes blackone. It is definitely needed at this stage in the game. I have to say for as rough as she has had it and the trouble I have put her through, she still smells fucking amazing. I took 2 tiny sample buds to give a go and am awfully excited. Anything off this girl now is simply more than I thought I'd be getting. I can't believe she has made it this far!

As far as my other cab, I added some paint and made myself a ghetto light setup. All that's left is to drill the ventilation holes and wait for some taproots.

Here's a shot with the lights on, air pump fit in there, and all electrical cords run throughout the box.

A shot from the front with the new paint job. It looks a little less frankenstein-ish when you look at it in the back of the closet as opposed to a nice up close shot like that. The doors are drilled in and 99% light proof. Might have to pick up a little more caulking.

Heres a shot of the hooks holding up the lights. I have chains that will be used to raise and lower them to the level of the plants.

A shot of the light rig. I still have the room fro two more bulbs too...

And finally a shot that includes the SWC res. Hopefully this one turns out a little better than the last. It's all I can ask for.

Toke it easy,
FB

F

fully baked

We have taproots...

5/5 of the Holy Grails
2/2 of BB
1/1 DSD
1/5 New Hashberry
1/1 New Purple Power
1/1 Hashberry

So the game begins...

Last edited:
F

fully baked

Beaners are now in cups. Got 11/15 total. The only 4 that haven't popped yet are the New Hashberry beans I made. No worries there. All went into a mix of 2 parts FF Happy Frog, 1 Part Perlite, 1 Part Peat Moss and thats it. Nothing in the hydro unit yet. I plan on taking some clones and flipping into flower fairly soon. I'm looking for those moms.

The nice thing about my cabs, is they are all completely movable. Come time to leave, they can just tag along for the ride with me ! :jump:

Pics when they pop their heads out of the soil.

Cheers,
FB

F

fully baked

Hey there IC...

Got some seeders with their heads popping up. All but 2 in fact :jump:

Here's the lone new hashberry. Waiting on the NPP and Hashberry to come alive too. The hashberry is right on the brink, she'll be awake by tomorrow.

Here's two Holy Grails along with the lone DSD.

I lied, three have yet to surface. Here's the two feminized BB ladies.

And 3 more Holy grails for all you baby pic lovers.

And a group shot

Also, I took a few sample buds from the BB in full bloom :violin: . They look tasty for sure~~!!

Enjoy,
FB

nice bounce back fb. looks like santas elves werent the only ones busy this december. seems like you have a lot of strands rollin. are all of them going to fit? how are you going about choosing which ones to keep if you cant fit them all? its nice to see that your BB its putting off good stuff i bet it was all the positive vibes. so when exactly is she coming down?