What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED lights?

NightFire

A lto of ppl have done LED grows, I don't think anyone has been able to go through the whole grow solely on LEDS though. There were a few guys over at OG that went through LED's and growing with them, nearly a post every week on em. LEDs can't penetrate far enough to give good results.

However, they are getting better all the time. I don't doubt that in the next 5 years they will be capable of a full grow by themselves, but is the initial output of cash worth it? They aren't cheap.

sMack-CFS!

Verite said:
Im sure someday it will have its place with other similar grows [ie cfl] but like cfl's they have issues with penetration beyond more than a few inches.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!

ahahah sorry, that king of the hill was just on..

but yea, this is a really interesting topic.. id love to see some concrete results, i.e. a side by side comparison, or something like that. teh resin production thing sounds intirguing, maybe use a few strips of LED's along with your standard HID light or something like that?

Cakes

UV-B helps to process calcium (plus maybe other things?)

UV-B helps to process calcium (plus maybe other things?)

tokinsmokin said:
so according to cakes that means theres a lot of UVB that comes from the led. Since UVB is what creates extra resin.

hmm should I do the experiment . :chin:
My report of the LED grow was a little off, i updated it. but they didn't report any extra appearance of the sticky resin crystals, just a difference in the psychoactive properties.

The other one reported joints that burned twice as long, as well as increased THC content.

Evidently there is a lot of documentation on UV-B grows. They are starting to make greenhouse materials for atriums and such that allow the transmission of UV-B because of the positive reports.<genetics are affected by UV-B as well as the THC content but not reliably.

Cakes

br26 said:
Cannabis is a flowering plant, and there's a chemical compund which mitigates the flowering response in a plant, and that substance is called Phytochrome. Phytochrome is photo-reversible, which means that exposure to light of one wavelength can turn it into a form which is sensitive to another wavelength, and exposure to that wavelength will reverse it into a form which is sensitive to the original wavelength again.
there are also process' that turn light to the left or to the right (racemation)

br26 said:
It is largely a signalling compound.
sounds like synaptic action
br26 said:
Phytochrome has two forms of interest to us, one form called by a variety of names (Pr660, Pr, P660) which is sensitive to red light at a peak sensitivity of 660nm, and another form (Pfr730, Pfr, P730) which is most sensitive at 730nm.
666,000 is the speed of the earth as it travels away from the source of the big bang. if the other end of our synaptic gap exists at 730...

Well a buddy of mine has invested 100 grand into Light leds... there comming to stores around here soon (im getting 40 thousand watts worth) or 40 Led systems of his for free to test out, will post photos when he has them... he has vegs under them with no problems... They are awsome (if they work) I have not tested them but 1 kit = 1,000 watts as in it will give the plant the same red and blue of the 1,000 but with out the engery demand, heat, or really any problems lol!! there amazing.. and his kits will cost the same as a normal light :) Think about no baslits... lol.

Anyways Like I said Ive seen plants veg under them do great, I have no idea how well they flower but he grows BIG TIME and he wouldn't put his money into this if it didn't work fucking amazing I can tell you that.. of corse :) this is CA lol so maybe We just get the good stuff lol....

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
LED's that is Light Emitting Diodes have come a long way..Light is given off as electrons cross the PN junction and produce photons..The substrate is doped with different chemicals to cause visible light...For years red and green were the only colors available because they were easy and cheap to produce...Blue was very difficult to produce but was needed if something close to white light was to be produced..That barrier was broken and newer more powerful LED's are now available..In the future and now you will see LED's taking over more and more applications..New traffic lights, semi's and auto tail lights, aircraft lighting, flashlights and on and on already are switching over...LED's lifespan can be longer than yours and produce negligible heat and operate at very low power...
As far as a grow goes, I'm not totally sold yet...but who knows, I could picture a grow cab with the walls and adjustable overhead lined with LED's manufactured for growing..
You can buy LED's with a double junction...power one lead for red or one lead for green or both leads for amber...So why not a triple junction so you could switch from a veg spectrum to a flower spectrum depending on the input to the Red, Blue and Green leads...
I've taken a course in optoelectronic devices...and seeing how far the technology has come in such a short time...I say why not..
P.S. that remote you are pointing at the TV is sending the info to the TV via a infrared LED..

Cakes

re the intensity issues.

Overdriving fluorescents is a common thing to do with fish tank hobbies. and the boys say you can do it to different kinds of lights.

piggybacking two ballasts onto one fixture provides 70% more light.

Does the increased voltage make them penetrate better? idk yet.

leds normally operate at 20mA. if you rise the voltage just for a few mV, the current rises much more. but some models can be more and the other less overdriven. i have some leds that are normally operating at 20mA, but the maximum is 50mA for red and 30mA for blue leds. if you power them with the maximum current, they emmit much more light, but the lifetime shortens (ofcourse). it is possible to get twice or even more mcds from each led if having them on maximum current and ofcourse the penetration is better.

D0nC0smic

What some people on this thread so far have failed to realize is that how bright a light looks can have nothing to do with how much light it is actually putting out that is absorbable to the plants, since the human eye is sensitive to a much different spectrum than plants are, and for this same reason, and measurement in lumens means absolutely nothing when you are talking about LED's

i know that :D, don't worry. i made some experiments with minimal power ussage, but the plant loved it. i don't care about lumens. i know that leds don't have much of them, but if you choose the right wavelengths, 10 LED lumens are better than 100 lumens of other full-spectrum lamp. it is more important what wavelenghted leds you use, not how much lumens do they emmit. ok, if you have 2 models with the same wavelenghts but different mcd, it is better to use the brighter, ofcourse.

Cakes

I know a few figures I have seen posted around, but I am interested in the wavelengths with which you are familiar with..

one chart i saw showed 5550 as being the point at which the most photosynthesis occured

'phytochromes' turn on (or off, i'm not sure) at 660
and then do the opposite at 730
and then it starts over again

^this may account for the bizarre effects of herb grown at 660. it doesn't have a chance to complete the cycle

hey what is the frequency of death?

i want to buy a scrambler or a shield for that station...

the peak values for clorophile (A and B) are (if the charts are correct) arround
425 and 635 for one type of clorophil and
455 and 660 for the other type of clorophil
there is also (as you said) 730nm, which is not the peak value for any of those types, but it runs a Pr and Pfr convertions.
as many people think, you should cover all of those values to get the plant growing. but you won't believe it: i used only 470 and 630 nm and the plant grew very good. i made a 400 led array for one of my friends (320 * 630 + 80 * 470) and the results are very good (amazing for 17W of consumption).
for my next experiments i'll use 4 of 5 important wavelenghts, but not in peak values (i can't find the optimal models). i'll use as close as possible to the optimal. i plan 400+470+630+660. i won't use 730 because i couldn't find a good model for an exceptable price.

i checked that link. i wouldn't use them because of the low light intensity. they only have 1100-2130 mcds at that angle.
if you check at www.led1.de, superbright/ultrahell 5mm, you can see, that leds there are 20°, but the mcds are much, much higher. there you have a 473nm model (7.200mcd), 465nm (11.000 mcd), 630 model (14.000mcd), 2 620 models (4.000 and 7.000 mcd). i suggest you 465(11cd) and 630(14cd).
how many of yours would you need to get to the same light intensity that you get if using those from led1.de? if you do the math, you get the result.
i don't have time to calculate right now, but i think that 100pcs from led1.de are still better than 500pcs of those you mentioned (brighter and cheaper).

Last edited:

PearlJamFan

firstavailable said:
What about these?

The 460nm Blue are 25cd (thats 25000) @ 30 degree

I just picked up these from Ebay.

Blue, 465-470nm, 10mm, 40cd (40000mcd), @ 12 degree (200qty) $42.98
UV, 400-410nm, 5mm, 11mw, @ 20 degree, (100 qty) $16.04
Green, 520-530nm, 10mm, 60cd (60000mcd), @ 12 degree, (100 qty) $2.95

S&H, $9.95
Total $71.92 for 400 LEDS

I plan on also getting 400-500 of; Red, 620-630nm, 10mm, 60cd (60000mcd), @ 12 degree, from the same company. I am just waiting for a reply.

I am only going to use a few of the green, but for $3 I had to get them. I will try to experiment like the other guy said about green light making the plant grow because it thinks another plant is blocking out. I will turn the green off during flower cylce. The UV is another test to see if it help with THC production.

Even though you may say 12degree is too narrow, I think I will space them close enough so it will not matter, and I like the thought of have the extra MCD strength.

So with a total of 100 red, 25 blue, maybe 10 UV, and 2-4 green per array, how much output do think I will get?

I plan on having 6 arrays in my cabinet, one for each plant. And if I have any left over, I will build an array for my seedlings/clones.

Last edited:

PearlJamFan

firstavailable said:
what is the wavelength rating of the UV LED's?

Part / Model : X561-100

UV LED Set of 100 Ultra Violet 400-410nm 5mm F/S F/R

Do all of these seem ok to use?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts