What's new

In your opinion, which elite cuts will still be around in 20 years?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Fruit trees and grape vines are hardy perennials. Grape vines can last centuries, and improve in flavour over time. There's no comparison between those and cannabis.

Really your going to compare cannabis to a grape vines and friut trees? Well then first let me tell you then that the better the grape the older the vine would be and if it was on a hill even better and cold mornings even better ,,
where as cannabis is a one year crop well unless you want to play...

Two completely different babies really,, headband 707

M

MrSterling

Headband please reread what I wrote. I was telling someone that the comparisons between Cannabis and Grapes are unfounded. You're in agreement with me.

"Grape vines can last centuries, and improve in flavour over time. There's no comparison between those and cannabis."

Relentless

Veteran
cheese and bubba for sure..
maybe its just me being on a sweet kick lately.. but i think sweeter strains like jack h. and slh are going to be a big hit, along with shorter flowering sativas.

G

gloryoskie

Cool thread.
Has cannabis changed that much since 1992?
Methods have been tweaked and some advances/availability of tools has happened. Twenty years from now? I'll keep you posted.

Some varieties that will still be around, elite cuts, I don't know.

Sour Diesel
Zamal.
Sensi Star.
Deep Chunk.

Grizz

Veteran
I don't believe in genetic drift. Strawberries are a good example of annuals being kept for many generations via cloning. The hard part is keeping the stock healthy year after year. You do that and you should have no problems.

exactly, there is no reason you cant keep them for 50 yrs as long as your taking healthy cuts, where people screw up is taking cuts of of a stressed plant and get shitty cuts, it isent genitic drift. I have heard the story of the uk cheese changing to what it is now but really have a hard time beliving it mutated or changed from its origanal state. everything in this universe degenerates so eventually our beloved elites will lose something, not sure how long it will take.

Rudedewd

Along with the chems, diesels etc I hope that classics like ssh, bubblegum and northern lights are still available. It seems that some of these older strains have fallen by the wayside as everyone jumped into the chem craze. I've been growing chems since the mid nineties, I love them but they are not the be all and end all of mj strains. Landraces are already fairly rare but I hope they will still be here then (even though I doubt if I'll still be here, lol). Diversity is the key, hopefully variety of strains will be a big part of mj's future.

JOJO420

Veteran
God willing that I'm still here I hope to see in 20 yrs the following.
LANDRACE CANNABIS..
That its, in a nutshell. I just hope seeds, and Landraces survive. With all the fems, and the poly hybrids, and the S1's that dominate the seed market in 2012, I just hope we have Cannabis PLANTS in 20 yrs, not little pills or analog drugs or GH color coded fem seeds that dont breed true. I just hope we can still grow a true female, and a true male in 20 yrs..

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Headband please reread what I wrote. I was telling someone that the comparisons between Cannabis and Grapes are unfounded. You're in agreement with me.

"Grape vines can last centuries, and improve in flavour over time. There's no comparison between those and cannabis."

Well I have grown both so yeah I really don't see the plant as being the same.. NOT AT ALL..lol..This is right Grape Vines can and do last one plant ,,, I can throw a vine out in a field and it will keep growing, unlike the cannabis plant lol..
I see what your saying but there are so many different problems .. I have had both,, One grew outside my place year after year and the other I had to seed and tend to ,,
Again with the drift if I notice the drift and you do not,, How can I confince you that there is a drift ? I can not nore does it really matter if you do not feel it? headband 707:biggrin:

M

MrSterling

Headband, take a break from sipping the chalice and realize we were saying the exact same thing on the nature of cannabis as an annual. I wasn't discussing genetic drift, just the fact that you can't compare cannabis with perennial crops such as grape vines and fruit trees.

Bonghitz

It must be difficult to gauge the smell, potency, etc. of a plant you just grew against a plant you grew 20 years ago. Side-by-side comparisons are impossible unless you've got a time machine. Physical attributes can easily be compared with photography, but it seems we're chasing our tails here with respect to other attributes--Headband is saying he's observed genetic drift and others don't believe it...he's just trying to disseminate the research he's already done. Take it or leave it.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
It must be difficult to gauge the smell, potency, etc. of a plant you just grew against a plant you grew 20 years ago. Side-by-side comparisons are impossible unless you've got a time machine. Physical attributes can easily be compared with photography, but it seems we're chasing our tails here with respect to other attributes--Headband is saying he's observed genetic drift and others don't believe it...he's just trying to disseminate the research he's already done. Take it or leave it.

Thanks Bonghitz I really hate to argue this point because this is a touchy subject obviously to many lol.. Not to me this is what it has always been,,, imvho I can't change this if I could I would lol,, Bonghitz is right if after 20 years you have not changed one thing in your grow and your plant has not changed once then great ,, I would say you have yourself the winner of winners and who is to say otherwise right?? lol... No one can tell anyone anything in cannabis if it works for them.. If in my case it does not then again you can not tell me it does,, understand... headband 707:biggrin:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Headband, take a break from sipping the chalice and realize we were saying the exact same thing on the nature of cannabis as an annual. I wasn't discussing genetic drift, just the fact that you can't compare cannabis with perennial crops such as grape vines and fruit trees.

sipping what??? lol that sounds like somthing your into bro,,,, Are you actually getting into acting like a school kid on here lol .. Now thats funny,, no I didn't know you wanted to compare the two but why would I anyways I thought this was about elite cuts and if I thought they would be around lol.. My answer still remains the same even if yours doesn't.. You think you can live with that????:biggrin: lol headband 707

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my experience..... taking clones from clones is what i do. I've never noticed anything resembling drift unless the clone wasn't healthy. Once it was back to healthy. The symptoms were gone and healthy cuttings could be taken again. Unless the clone is poisoned or experienced some sort of toxic shock, I think a clone will stay an identical genetic organism as the original mother plant. 1,000+ clones down the line. Just going by experience here.
As for "elite" (heirloom) clones around 50 years from now. I sure hope so. What a shame to dis regard such gems as Golden Goat, ECSD, chem's, bubba kush and green crack. Among a list of others....
Good luck preserving those heirlooms!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Headband, your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. :tiphat:
ow that hurt
but thanks for that
this just shows you need to do so more drinking and you can't live with what I think.. I:comfort: it's okay bro :thank you: for showing your true colors online... lets see if you comprehend this shit:

Potency loss from clones?

By Ed Rosenthal - Thursday, November 7 2002

Do plants get weaker each cloned generation?
If I keep cloning plants and then taking clones from clones, will the clones remain potent, or is there a slide in potency? Can you clone a plant only so many times before it becomes weak?
Suxen,
Address Unknown
Clones and clones from clones retain their potency. Single lines have been reproduced asexually by cloning for more than 20 years with no loss of potency or odor/taste.
Yet the question of genetic drift over many generations is not unreasonable. Mutations occur on a regular basis in asexual as well as sexual reproduction. Genetic researcher Barbara McClintock has discovered that genes jump around on chromosomes, and recent studies have proved that they also jump from plant to plant. Any change in gene patterns, whether the gene is on the chromosome or has broken apart and lost or gained material, results in changes in the plant. Thus the variety can gradually shift over a period of time.
Clones propagated over many generations along separate lines will look slightly different. Perhaps the answer is to preserve the mother plant for as long as possible ? but even a single plant will exhibit some drift. Remember that during sexual reproduction mutations are more likely to occur than during the asexual reproductive process of cloning.
Viruses sometimes attack cannabis. They can affect the plants' health, growth and potency as well as affecting the genetic makeup of the plant. Once a plant is infected with a virus, it can never recover. For that reason, more than one plant of a special line should be maintained.
For all its faults, cloning plants is the best way to preserve a plant's particular characteristics with the fewest genetic changes.

Last edited:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
In my experience..... taking clones from clones is what i do. I've never noticed anything resembling drift unless the clone wasn't healthy. Once it was back to healthy. The symptoms were gone and healthy cuttings could be taken again. Unless the clone is poisoned or experienced some sort of toxic shock, I think a clone will stay an identical genetic organism as the original mother plant. 1,000+ clones down the line. Just going by experience here.
As for "elite" (heirloom) clones around 50 years from now. I sure hope so. What a shame to dis regard such gems as Golden Goat, ECSD, chem's, bubba kush and green crack. Among a list of others....
Good luck preserving those heirlooms!

Purple Kush Green Crack RKS are my favs cut can I get them anymore NO it's that simple I can get weak versions of them but can I get them how they used to be "NO" plain and simple.. >,Why is this>>>> the cloning off of clones over an over again . You might find a good grower here and there that has held the cut but they are few and far between . So I say again cloning off of clones is a bad idea for these reasons. I would love to see these clone only strains stay exactly the same I know very few growers that are really really good that can hold a mother for 4 years without any problems because it is extremely hard to do and you need a lot of cash to throw at it. If you have all these thing in place then I'm sure you have done it.Again if I'm the one buying it and noticing it shouldn't you be the one listening .. Or is every grower going to act like they know what is best for joe public LOL ??That sounds like the clubs that say oh yeah you can write your comments here lol Not that we give two shits but go ahead and write them anyways ...
Then there are the thousands of buds that are out there every year. There was a time when you could get real Purple Kush. Now you buy this bud that looks and smells like Purple Kush but it's some weak version of the bud and this is all they have throughout Van same with the Geen crack and everyone thinks well it smells good lol..Nah imvho this whole practise is just a money maker for growers and the clone has lost it's potency. headband 707:)

Oh yeah does it surprise me that growers are saying" oh no not my bud"!!! nah not one bit lol.. been listening to that shit for years now,,

Last edited:
M

MrSterling

Headband, I'm just gonna leave this thread be. You're looking for a fight where there isn't one to be had and it really does appear that you're not bothering to read the words I'm typing.