What's new

In your opinion, which elite cuts will still be around in 20 years?

d4nk

Comparing genetic drift over generations makes no sense to drift in clones.

grow healthy plants, cut healthy clones, and you wont see "drift", because it doesn't exist, its cloning people...

M

MrSterling

Genetic drift doesn't make any sense scientifically speaking in regards to clones. What makes sense to me, and what I suspect is happening, is that as mums age they lose some gusto. Their hormones aren't as strong, their resistance to pests and fungi aren't as good as they used to be. We force an annual into living much past its due date with artificial lights. That the DNA of a plant would change just because you're taking cuttings? Doesn't make any sense to me.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Deadwood

and my project is gonna be a hit

but Deadwood for SURE

picture.php

Applesauce

headband, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I don't think you're full of shit, I just don't agree with you. I've been growing for a decade and while that pales to other growers I myself have had a few plants that are clones of clones of clones x 100 and they get me just as ripped as when I first obtained them.

These are clones, keep that in mind compared to the article you posted.

It is ultimately impossible to say "with certainty" clones 50 years down the line will be an exact replica of their mother but I don't see why not, and I am hoping to see for myself with a few keepers!

U

unthing

will we be poppin pills of carefully calculated profiles with synthetic origins or will it be the same?

like mentioned before, fruit trees, wine grapes etc have been going for a quite while. of course illegality makes things much more complicated than with other plants but ultimately i'd think some flavours will stay as there is hopefully enough feedback within the community to name what is what and keep some kind of track record even with the limitations we have now.

M

MrSterling

Fruit trees and grape vines are hardy perennials. Grape vines can last centuries, and improve in flavour over time. There's no comparison between those and cannabis.

U

unthing

^that's a good point, didn't think about it..any hopeful examples on annual side?

edit:..but even on the perennial side they don't use the same invidual plant to to produce hundreds of years, just same genetics (which in a way is the same plant..). to my (limited) understanding for example the stuff like wine grapes last for around 20 years before starting to go down on product quality(or is it just quantity) and have to be replanted.

i admit i'm going over my league here

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I think genetic drift in clones is very possible but unlikely to make a noticeable difference in our life time. The above read was very interesting, but does not address clones from cuttings, which I expect to be very different.

From experience I know for a fact the clone that I have kept for well over 9 years now has not changed at any noticeable level. Also of note, this clone I have was around my area before I received it - so it is probably much older. I have never kept mothers and have always taken a clone from a clone. Now this is only one case that I know of, but to add to this, one of the oldest cuts available today (or so I have read) is Cheese, and it is still considered an elite so probably has not changed very much at all.

I speculate that the clones we have today if taken care of properly will most likely be around for a very long time even though after many years there may be small changes to DNA, but not on a noticeable level. That isn't to say that all will be the same, but physical change I hypothesize is just a rare occurrence or the process of these rare occurrences combining over many years of errors in genetic code. I think a larger mutation is possible, but very rare.

I believe two clones can be different from person to person which can give the effect of physical change, but I believe these to be just the effect of growing environment and other external forces, but that is not a change in DNA, but something that was already in the genetic make up to allow it to adapt.

I hope this makes sense; I just had a big fatty early this morning lol. Just my input on the subject and good to hear everyone’s take on this very interesting subject.

TGT

kaka_

I think people forget exactly how old some of the elites already are... that said.

Aeric's CaliO
Sourd
OgKush
Original Diesel- for breeding purposes only.
Romulan

that is all I can think of off the top of my head worth keeping.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
what will the oil look like in 20 years?

and what sort of madness will we be vaporizing out of?

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
UK Cheese is one of the healthiest, quickest rooting and most unique plants I have. It's just about 30 years old already... I don't see why it can't last another 25. The original Sour Diesel clone will stick around. Probably the OGs.

one that you're gonna start seeing pop up more and will still be around is Cannatonic. This line of plants will help us unlock a lot of knowledge about cannabis that we are searching for. it will probably be one of the mose valuable medical strains around.

FiveLeggedGoat

I'm not a real goat.™
Veteran
Isn't it theoretically possible to avoid genetic drift and keep varieties around indefinitely via tissue cultures?

vapedg13

Veteran
This is my 22 year old skunk....I aquired her back in 1990... I got the clone from a friend who said at the time it came from the U.of W. horticulture dept. :)

I have never kept a mother plant....insted I chose to pull starts at the beginging of onset... 20 each time...always off the healthiest plants

The skunk is just as strong and grows the same everytime I cycle it...these plants are averaging 6 oz

I havent noticed any difference in taste, smell, potency, or growth patterns in 22 yrs.... still killer shit

I also have Pre98 Bubba, ECSD, Chem4, Exodus Cheese, Purple kush been cloning them for 5-10 yrs already...

I will probably be dead in 20 yrs but my son will still be growing these strains :)

011.jpg

004-2.jpg

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Genetic drift doesn't make any sense scientifically speaking in regards to clones. What makes sense to me, and what I suspect is happening, is that as mums age they lose some gusto. Their hormones aren't as strong, their resistance to pests and fungi aren't as good as they used to be. We force an annual into living much past its due date with artificial lights. That the DNA of a plant would change just because you're taking cuttings? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Well if you read the article that is exactly what it is saying isn't it.. Through sections and cause and effect.. Nothing is stable how can it be???????? LOL.. :tiphat: headband 707

This is my 22 year old skunk....I aquired her back in 1990... I got the clone from a friend who said at the time it came from the U.of W. horticulture dept. :)

I have never kept a mother plant....insted I chose to pull starts at the beginging of onset... 20 each time...always off the healthiest plants

The skunk is just as strong and grows the same everytime I cycle it...these plants are averaging 6 oz

I havent noticed any difference in taste, smell, potency, or growth patterns in 22 yrs.... still killer shit

I also have Pre98 Bubba, ECSD, Chem4, Exodus Cheese, Purple kush been cloning them for 5-10 yrs already...

I will probably be dead in 20 yrs but my son will still be growing these strains :)

View Image

View Image

I got no idea about the cuts vs whatever thingy in this thread, I just have to say, man, them's some sexy Skunks.

Danks2005

I don't believe in genetic drift. Strawberries are a good example of annuals being kept for many generations via cloning. The hard part is keeping the stock healthy year after year. You do that and you should have no problems.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
headband, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I don't think you're full of shit, I just don't agree with you. I've been growing for a decade and while that pales to other growers I myself have had a few plants that are clones of clones of clones x 100 and they get me just as ripped as when I first obtained them.

These are clones, keep that in mind compared to the article you posted.

It is ultimately impossible to say "with certainty" clones 50 years down the line will be an exact replica of their mother but I don't see why not, and I am hoping to see for myself with a few keepers!

Well I can't speak for everyone that smokes cannabis I can only smoke for me and of-course the chronic smokers that I know,,,,
I have grown for years and I am not happy with losing the bud that I like either but this has always been the way it's been even since I can remember. There has always been ppl that think their strain doesn't drift and that is fine. I happen to think it has. I think their is obviously strains out there I have not had and I would have to call SuperStrain Or let me try to put this a better way.. There will always be mutants and the progeny of that

which can be great for along time. But stress oxidization is a reality .
There will always be growers like Sam the Skunkman that might have tech that other growers can't afford and and there maybe a science I'm missing here but as far as I know stress,ozidation,enviromental factors all play a role in changing and drifting no two ways around it. Headband 707

Latest posts

Latest posts