What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to SAVE $100/mo off your electric bill!

eglider

Did you get that Nut? lol. You need to read your own post more clearly. :eek:

Smart thinking Nut. and easy to do too. You dont need to have funky undies to be a grower. (But does it help?)

I think grape meant changing the breaker,(not ballast) to a double mini = 240 v. then changing the cord on light ballast and the socket in the wall. Lotta work to get the ballast to run a tiny bit cooler. You might save a dime in a year or two as well.

Grape, Buddy... sorry to tell you but if your electrician pal told you you would save 1/2 costs.....you need a new electrician....this guy failed class. Look up Ohms law.

spunion

I would do the water heater change but I don't even know how to tell if my water heater is gas or electric. I think its electric though...it seems to run for 30 minutes or more after I've gotten out of the shower.

Was definitely going to unplug my fridge when I start running the HPS.

nukklehead

Deft - Im not sure how they stack up.. Im sure it depends on usage but again.. this rig aint bad at all and if you are gone for a few days it uses nothing.. a typical hot water heater would use a bunch of power during that time.

pontiac - thanks!!

rook - that is correct! However, its obviously gunna be a little less during the winter since it takes more energy to heat the cooler incoming water but yea.. I calculated that I would break even if the tank lasted two weeks (and I mean break even including the cost of the tankless heater over a year), and then I got 28 days out of my first tank and 31 days out of my second. Note that if anything, I take much longer showers now! hehe

Mack - thanks for the tips. its too bad I like long steaming piping hot showers and live in the ghetto where if I hung my clothes outside they would be gone in under an hour. Im sure many of you out there are under the same kind of circumstances. I worked on a ship for 4 years where I had to take those on and off showers, screw that! I do need to clean the heat exchanger on my frig tho.. thanks for the reminder!

Havent heard the term "hollywood shower" for years:laughing:
nice setup if it works for you. Im in the midwest and everything I have is natty gas ( thank goodness) other then the girlie room of course!!

Voidling

Well he said it 5 years ago ;)

I was planning on throwing solar water heating panels on the roof and running into a tank but may reconsider now. I've got the panels for free so maybe a solar to tank then on demand for boost and night.

Great thread, too bad nut job hasn't been here in nearly 3 years :/