What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to SAVE $100/mo off your electric bill!

nUt_jOb

what hapened to skeletor??

Yes the mechanical parts of the process still require electricity, but its far less than the heating elements. The water heater operates off two C batteries so it needs no juice at all. I am still using both and I am quite pleased with the results.

G

I gotr a new gas erange a couple of months ago, that replaced my electric range...and my bill went up. I now it's winter, and my two gas furnaces are running more often, which requires an electric fan to blow...but I sure wish I could figure out how to get my bill down. I'm runnin almost $200 a month now.

The dryer is still gas, but I think I'm gonna install a clothes line this summer.

I really thought the gas range would drop my bill about $40. We are a family of 5...so we cook alot. What a disappointment.

Cheers,
SH

TeamRamRod

I think this is a great post on saving some money. with little investment cost also. lucky for me electric is pretty cheap here right now winter rates are 7.5 cents a kilowatt.just a reminder on the water settings to keep yours above 125 F. that way harmfull bactira wont grow in your water heater.

Mackawber

"I really thought the gas range would drop my bill about $40. We are a family of 5...so we cook alot. What a disappointment"

Hey Suburban Home Slice---I cook at home a lot too and I envy you, I wish I had a gas oven. It's the best for cooking. The problem is the sky high natural gas prices. I have gas heat and a gas hot water heater. Last month the gas bill was $40 and the electric was $40. Family of 4.

G

Mackawber said:
"I really thought the gas range would drop my bill about $40. We are a family of 5...so we cook alot. What a disappointment"

Hey Suburban Home Slice---I cook at home a lot too and I envy you, I wish I had a gas oven. It's the best for cooking. The problem is the sky high natural gas prices. I have gas heat and a gas hot water heater. Last month the gas bill was $40 and the electric was $40. Family of 4.

$40.....holy shit batman. I was happy to get my $168 gas bill last month. This time last year I was around $300. It's been so mild, our gas bills have been livable. Of course thats all changing now that the temps have dropped way low for a few weeks now. $40 for electric too eh? Enjoy man. I'm really kickin my ass for puttin tv's and high power stereos in the 3 girls rooms now.

Cheers,
SH

Other ways to save on your electric bill:

1) Kill your television. At least watch less of it and don't leave it on when you are not watching it.
2) Only have lights/appliances on when you are in the room. When you leave the room, turn them off. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but it's a waste of money.
3) Completely turn off your computer/stereo when you're not using them. Leaving them in standby mode still sucks up electricity.
4) Minimize your guests. More guests=more light, more times the refrigerator is opened and has to run, more hot water is used, more TV or stereo is on, etc.
5) Don't use fancy phones; use corded phones that do not require power from an electrical outlet. These phones are super cheap: about $10-15USD. They get their power from the phone outlet. Or, better yet, get rid of all traditional "land line" phone lines, have a cell phone, and just charge it from your car charger. This way, you eliminate your phone bill and don't use any electricity for your phone.
6) Limit or don't use your video game console. They are energy hogs AND they require your television to be on. Both are HUGE electricity draws. IIRC, the XBox 360 alone burns the same electricity of a 400W HPS.
7) Don't use a dishwasher. Hand wash dishes.

There are more, I'm sure, but you'd have to ask Ed Begley Jr., or some of those other self-righteous hippie fucks who have a hard on for the planet.

Basically, don't use electricity if you don't absolutely need it.

New Holland

Here in Aus it wouldn't be a saving. We have 2 meters in our power box. A regular one, and an Off Peak one. The hot water runs on the Off Peak meter and is charged at about 0.4 cents per KWh. The idea is that the hot water heater heats your water between 2am and 4am when the demand for electricity is low. My Off Peak is usually $20 per quarter= $7 month.

Propane on the other hand is $27 a bottle.

If I had a clothes dryer it would be a big saving. They cost a fortune to run. I just hang my clothes on the clothes line in the back yard, or on a clothes horses in front of my fire.

If my Off Peak bill dropped to $0 it would create suspision and someone would investigate

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Krustytheclown: Those are all great idea's, but I have to say the phone one is a little excessive. The power that a phone uses wouldn't change your bill hardly at all if you used a plug in phone or not. May be 5 to 10 cents a month if that. Although every savings is a good thing, so you got a point. Just thought i'd knit pick today - sorry.

Another good power saving tip is to switch all your incandecent bulbs to those spiral flourecents. I saved over 1000 watts by changing all of them in the house and actually noticed a huge price reduction on my statement! Now I can add another 1000.

TGT

nUt_jOb

nah..... people play with propane all the time. It has a very distinct odor and you will know asap if you have a leaky connection or that something isnt working properly. Still.. exercise the utmost care! The drier is awsome and a propane tank lasts like 3 months. I wish we had that off peak electrical deal like that one guy mentioned. Oh well.. the battle continues.

joebailon

Now if I could just store the exhaust and pump it to my room using a co2 controller then I would save lots more.

Joe

nUt_jOb

actually the co2 is so reactive it will increase the ppm in your whole living area when the units are used (even with exhaust going outside). You see this in gas stoves as well of course.

Great Tip

Great Tip

Who would have ever thought all the great uses a person could get out of a 5 gallon propane tank, and save money on the elctric bill, at the same time.

Thanks for the tips and instructions for us technodunces.

All my best,

Barry

masterlow37

Veteran
nUt_jOb said:
I didnt mention it before but I even have a coleman camping grill that I whip out on days when I have a bunch of stuff I want to get cooked and use that instead of the electric range. I have the adapter that hooks it into the 5gal tanks so its more efficient overall and it saves $$ on the electric bill.
I was going to asked if you considered a gas stove, hehe... :joint:

Boerman

To keep from running out of gas in the middle of a shower, you can get a switch at any RV place that allows you to hook up two tanks at once. When the one being used runs out of gas, it automatically switches to the other tank. Nothing worse than being forced to run out and find gas in the middle of the night.

This def has to be one of the best diy/info that I've seen in a while. I've already been trying to source the heater for this myself so wish me luck.