What's new

"fresh air" vs co2 rooms

S

SicKSKills

So, in all my career Ive never ran a sealed room with a/c and co2, only "fresh air" rooms with lots of movement and easy odor control....I just got the opportunity to dial in another room with a friend and we are trying to decide which route to go. What I want to know, from those of you with personal experience, is it worth it??

the room is already built as a room within a room to fit 8k and there is additional space for a second room of at least the same size if not larger...My main thing is, is it economical...? After the cost of an a/c, regulators, climate controller, dehumidifier, and tanks for each run(landlord says no generators only regular tanks) will I recover my expenses and yield that much more that it would be more than if i just added an extra light or two that would be similar is electrical usage to the ac and dehui.

So then I suppose another way to put it could be, co2 vs an extra light or two... Am I making sense?

GSGrowdaddy

Well to add CO2 to a room that size using tanks is going to be a big pain in the ass and In my opinion not worth all the hassel. As long as you can get good air movement I don't think it's worth it. just my 2 cents.

S

sparkjumper

If you have a minimum 50 watts sq ft,temperature control,humidity control and co2 on a controller not a timer,fresh air cannot compare to the yields you'll get using co2.

Germanator

Sparkjumper is correct, the accelerated growth rates and eventual yield increases will quickly pay for the additional equipment needed to run a sealed Co2 enriched environment.

Small grows and temporary spaces may be better suited with active exhaust, but if you have a space large enough and enough time at the location you will benefit from having total environment control.

GSGrowdaddy

Ok, I agree with sparkjumper and Germanator, but for a room that size to keep at proper CO2 levels using just tanks I think would be a big pain. I have a much smaller room and use tanks also,but I have to refill a 50lb tank between 2 1/2 and 3 weeks. I'm looking into getting a generator, but sickskills said his landlord wouldn't allow a generator for his set up.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
What about a watercooled CO2 generator like the HydroGen pro? It's basically just a tankless water heater, and won't add near the heat of a standard burner. RUn them to waste on tap water, or not at all, though.

pyite20v

Does it make any sense to put CO2 in a non sealed room? I have a 5x10x7 room with exhaust and intake, will running CO2 gain me anything? I always heard sealed only, but had a friend tell me he runs it in his exhausted room and the CO2 sink so it doesnt get sucked out.

Any truth to this?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The accepted yield increase figure is typically 20% with CO2 vs without. No you can't use CO2 in non sealed rooms, it's a huge waste of money.

The watercooled gennies water use varies, depending on where you have it set. Basically you will have an open tap line while it runs, so figure for 5-15 minutes 4-5 times per 12/12 cycle.

GSGrowdaddy

Thanks Lazy, looks like I'll be checking more into the genny, Tired of filling tanks, and didn't want the extra heat with regular CO2 burners.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't have mine running just yet. It's plumbed and it works but I'm running off outside cool air right now. I'll be sealing it all up here shortly.

This is how I have it plumbed into a bathroom in my grow area. You can tap into any water source. Forget about a pump and reservoir. From what I've heard it's not reliable. HydroGEN makes a valve ($75) to start the water flow whenever your co2 gets low. You can also get them elsewhere. It plugs into your CO2 monitor.

Here is the back plumbed as an extra sink.

Other side. I've moved the sensor since then.

GSGrowdaddy

Nice spastic, is that unit running on propane? I would like to use NG since that is what I have available. And I don't want to fill up propane tanks.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
also, will you have to ever exhaust air in a sealed environment? I would think at somepoint you should for optimum plant health, or not? I guess the carbon filter + co2 would take care of things

thc43

Veteran
passive inlets with a single exhaust in my grows.

Never seen the need for co2 i cant see the need, if i want extra yield its cheeper to add a light.. My climate is ideal no frost or snow in winter that helps..

I an unforgiving climate very hot or frozen sure its worth a shot.

S

SicKSKills

well i guess my point was, if i was gonna get per say a lb a light with 8 750w bulbs in a fresh room, and adding co2 gives me a 20% increase, that would be the same as adding two more bulbs...the lights would cost me about 200 a month to run, where as i would just be paying for new tanks...not sure how much they cost....and i wouldnt have to wire additional circuits for ac and dehui

250wscrogger

I'd say CO2 ends up being way for trouble than it's worth 90% of the time, especially when aircooling lights. It doesn't even increase yields that much, it just makes plants ripen a little quicker. Just run more lights for more yield. C02 is just a hydro shop scam in my opinion. I find it funny how many people with unsealed rooms think that adding CO2 is going to give them better yields right off the bat...wasting money trying to maintain ppm's in an unsealed area or wasting money on electricity running 3 ton air conditioners to keep temps in check without aircooling. Take the grand that you were gunna spend on CO2 bullshit and buy a couple more lights. :2cents:
20% increase from CO2... LOL maybe 5% at the MOST and thats WITH A SEALED ROOM ONLY. You would end up running 5 lights worth of juice with the A/C needed to cool the room during lights on and another light worth for the dehumidifier which would be constantly running during lights off.

I'd say CO2 ends up being way for trouble than it's worth 90% of the time, especially when aircooling lights. It doesn't even increase yields that much, it just makes plants ripen a little quicker. Just run more lights for more yield. C02 is just a hydro shop scam in my opinion. I find it funny how many people with unsealed rooms think that adding CO2 is going to give them better yields right off the bat...wasting money trying to maintain ppm's in an unsealed area or wasting money on electricity running 3 ton air conditioners to keep temps in check without aircooling. Take the grand that you were gunna spend on CO2 bullshit and buy a couple more lights. :2cents:
20% increase from CO2... LOL maybe 5% at the MOST and thats WITH A SEALED ROOM ONLY. You would end up running 5 lights worth of juice with the A/C needed to cool the room during lights on and another light worth for the dehumidifier which would be constantly running during lights off.

Thank you so much for that explanation, I too have been in the lingo about co2. I would think that fresh air would be more beneficial for the plants, that's what they get outside. I am upgrading to a 4000w grow and don't think I'll be getting a co2 setup, yes more lights, maybe a 6000w grow?