What's new

Dutch Police Using Unmanned Helicopters to Sniff Out Cannabis Grows

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
How hot is a 400W bulb? Or a 600W?

They're alot hotter than your hot water system.

hmm... the temp in my grow is a steady 25c I guess the bulb is a "point of heat"... my tank is 70c I'm sure it must have an element or something else which a lot of heat...

I'm sure the bulb is a damn sight hotter though... I won't be sticking my tongue on it to find out anytime soon :D

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
there's no "edit on front page (seems odd, as front page is the last place I'd want looking all untidy).. anyways correction to the above post..

...."or something else which emits a lot of heat"...

Troy.No

What about CFL's (125w,250w)? Will they be visable on these thermo cams they are using, or is it just HPS/MH (high power & tempratures)?

They raided around 30 houses here in Norway couple of years ago, vietnam grow ops, but im unsure of the methods used here. My guess would be lose lips and hijacked power, but again, you never know.

G.A.

Green Ambassador
Veteran
The boys and their toys....

cannachopper1.jpg

It can sniff and detect.....
Already 5 men busted after the first day of using the Canna Chopper.

Peace, G.A.

B

British_Bulldog

Hi GA,

How does it work please?

Do they use a regular helicopter first and find a heat signature, then to get a conviction they use the model helicopter to prove the heat is because of growing?

Thanks for the pic too!

Peace

HashishinReidi

That is not good news Ga, i wonder how long it will take before some kid with a catapult take s it out in the uk that kind of thing would happen.

That thing looks more like some kind of gun, it will not be tolong before the uk police get something like that .

Jamieshoes that has allready happend before, with a boiler.

EXCLUSIVE by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

A MUM-TO-BE today told how police smashed their way into her Merseyside home � expecting to find a cannabis farm.

Cops swooped at the house in Green Gates, Huyton, on Tuesday while seven-months-pregnant Nicola King and her boyfriend were asleep in bed.

It appears sophisticated computer equipment aboard the force helicopter detected an unusual heat source coming from the roof of the house.

But a quick search of the property revealed it was coming from an uninsulated boiler located in the loft.

Today Merseyside Police apologised to the couple for any distress caused by the early morning drama.

But they say the smashed down door could cost as much as �400 to repair.

Nicola, 24, said the 10-strong squad burst into the house at 7.30am as she and her delivery man partner James Dowding, 22, dozed upstairs.

She told the ECHO: �We heard a banging sound which seemed like someone was kicking a football against the wall.

�Then there was a big smash and there were loads of police dressed in riot gear with guns running about the house.

�My partner went downstairs and they pushed him face down onto the couch.

�They went straight to the loft but soon realised there was nothing there and they had made a mistake.

�They just tried to make a joke about it and when we asked about the damage they said �you may get money back, but we can�t guarantee it�.

�They could have handled this much better. They made a mistake and yet we have to pick up the pieces and pay for the damage.�

Nicola said she has already forked out �200 for a new door.

But further joinery work is likely to push the overall cost of damage towards �400.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said: �We would like to apologise for any distress the occupants experienced.

�The address was visited as part of a series of planned raids on that day.

�We do carry out rigorous checks prior to execution of warrants but, regrettably on this occasion, the information available to us was misleading.

�Drug raids obviously involve an element of covert and tactical policing for them to be productive. We would like to reassure the community that a further warrant carried out that day, with similar information, led to the finding of a cannabis farm and the arrest of two people for the cultivation of cannabis.

�These raids were part of Merseyside Police�s war on drugs specifically around the production of cannabis.�

The spokesman said the couple could apply to the force to claim compensation for the damage caused to their door.

[email protected]

Ear

G.A.

Green Ambassador
Veteran
British Bulldog,

This Canna Chopper can smell and detect by heat source.
People that grow a couple of plants in their garden, or terrace don't need to fear. It's ment to detect big crop growers....

HashishinReidi, we'll see....

Peace, G.A.

B

British_Bulldog

Hi GA,

Thanks for the extra info, but the Canna Chopper must have a very short range and so the police must have a way of finding the houses in the first place?

It's so small that you can't scan a large area quickly, so they must have some information to go on first, right?

Maybe they're using it in very built up areas with a high density of potential grow houses?

Thanks!

HashishinReidi

BB hope all is good with you m8 and that you had a good time at 420, it does not work so much on heat it use a sensor its well techy ,Police in the northeastern Achterhoek region have begun using an unmanned miniature helicopter to track down the illegal cultivation of cannabis, which often takes place indoors. The so-called "canna-chopper" is fitted with cameras and a sniffer to take air samples out of ventilator shafts and chimneys. A dedicated gas analyser is able to recognise traces of weed smell in the air samples.

Police say they are not breaking the law because the samples can be taken without entering the building. The unmanned dwarf helicopter can stay airborne for a maximum of eight hours. It was designed and built by Dutch police engineers.

Police spokesman Anton de Ronde told Radio Netherlands Worldwide that the first flight on Tuesday morning had already led to the discovery of a cannabis drying shed and a plant cutting facility.

S

Sir_Nugget

i thought greenhouse seeds was based in amsterdam.. what will happen to breeding as we know it in europe, if they get busted for 1000w watt grows... cannabis evolution will take a hit

S

Sir_Nugget

Gas-Spectral analysis is the identification of atoms. Their helicopter is pretty sophisticated, it doesn't look for heat signatures. It's analyzing (smelling) the gaseous by-products of grow room vents for chemical indicators that show cannabis is present

B

British_Bulldog

Hi HR,

I was just about to send you a PM saying it's a shame you couldn't make it to the Cup, as it was a good do! Next time bro!

Thanks for the info, it's just that G.A. said it could also detect heat, and I'm wondering how they find places in the first place?

That canna chopper is tiny compared to a real helicopter, which can scan a lot of houses quite quickly, but it would take forever to hover above everyone's chimney checking for smells!

So, they must have something to go off, like a tip-off, a heat signature from a real chopper, suspicious activity, etc.

It's f*cked up anyway!

Peace

M

movingtocally

Yeah like Americans are doing anything positive for the international Pot community.
We aren't. At all. I'm saying that nobody else will until we do-Western Europe is like big game of follow the leader on most social issues. I don't say that with an Americcaaa fuck yaa!!!' attitude. I wish it wasn't that way. I'm just saying, it obviously is.

If America legalized cannabis it would be legal in every major western European nation within 6 months. The converse is not true.

HashishinReidi

BB i think it is fited with a thermal though it just says ,its fitted with cameras and a sniffer to take air samples thats it so i dont know Next time forsure.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Dutch police use mini helicopter to sniff out cannabis

Dutch police use mini helicopter to sniff out cannabis

A canna-chopper fitted with cameras and apparatus that can detect the smell of marijuana has successfully tracked down an illegal cannabis operation.

ACHTERHOEK – Police in the northeastern Achterhoek region Tuesday reveal the success of using an unmanned miniature helicopter to track down the illegal cultivation of cannabis.

The first flight of a newly-designed mini helicopter, or canna-chopper, fitted with cameras and a sniffer on Tuesday morning had already led to the discovery of a cannabis drying shed and a plant cutting facility, said police spokesman Anton de Ronde.

The canna-chopper is fitted with apparatus that takes air samples out of ventilator shafts and chimneys. A dedicated gas analyser is able to recognise traces of weed smell in the air samples.

Designed and built by Dutch police engineers, the mini helicopter, which can stay airborne for a maximum of eight hours, is used to track down indoor cannabis plantations.

In an interview with De Volkskrant, Johan Warmerdam of the anti-marijuana plantation squad said cannabis plantation is a huge industry worth as much as EUR 2 billion where 80 percent of the marijuana is exported.

The helicopters are not breaking the law as samples can be taken without entering the building, stressed the police.

Radio Netherlands / Expatica
http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/dut...-helicopter-to-sniff-out-cannabis-_52094.html

This sux.

Polsevogn

Wow, that's pretty intense.

I remember reading about those electronic sniffers when they were being developed, mostly for finding explosives and whatnot, but I wondered when they would adapt it to track down peaceful cannabis producers.

It happened surprisingly fast.

+K for this post

JohnnyToke

I agree with love. A shotgun would take care of any flying objects hovering over any parts of my property. lol I know some of you think im kidding but im not. fly a drone copter over my property and i will blast it down!

JT

Latest posts

Latest posts