What's new

Dual 126 watt LED, 600 watt digital comparison grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apollonio

i think the light from the 600W is getting to the LED girls too.... but anyways, they are looking nice! good luck with your grow!

WeedIsGod

For plants that tall, especially when you have two lights for the number of plants being grown, I'd rather the 30 degree viewing angle LED's. What kind do your panels have? You gonna let them grow straight up, or will you tie any of them down?

And I'd agree with apollonio although it hits only some of them and kinda low. That said, of the most affected plants it's difficult to tell them apart/whether or not they are reacting with one in front of the other like that. It'd be chill to see a curtain or even something reflective in between the competing teams, but not necessary imo. Keep up the good work.

LEDGirl

Veteran
Since I can now see your setup, I will add in my recommendation. Take the 2 x 126W and put them side to side vs end to end. The side to side will allow for a similar footprint to the 600W right now, while providing nice overlap for the plants. Then just arrange the LED plants like the HID plants, and I think it will give you the best results out of your configuration. In the future you may also want to employ some bending or topping techniques to keep your plants a little shorter and bushier. Even canopies are the way to yield a ton with LED ;)

botanist85

Great effort! That orange light from the LED side is something I have not seen. Does mine do that? Just kidding with you, I know it is the HPS, those HPS lamps are such rascals. Anyways, good luck with your experiment, I always fancy a little experiment.

WarBux

Great pics. I cant wait to see how this one turns out. I would move the ones under the LED closer together like you have the ones under the HPS.

Genetics

Hi everyone. Sorry for the few replies. The holidays sure are busy.

Well, I sure am shocked. The plants under the LED lights are bigger, bushier, greener and the buds are growing faster than the ones under the 600. I was skeptical when I started this but I'm slowly becoming a believer.

I will get ya'll some photos in the next couple days so you can see this for yourselves. Here's hopin everyone has a great New Year.

phattybudz

Confounding factor: the hps is not aircooled.

Very interested in all of these tests though, thanks for posting up. Can't wait to see end results!

LEDGirl

Veteran
Confounding factor: the hps is not aircooled.

LoL, you think every gardener uses an aircooled hood? MOST (at least 60%) of the gardens I've seen in person of medical patients, are using the CHEAPEST crap they can find from Craigslist, eBay or wherever. The vast majority of them never use glass, and have a poor quality reflector. Plain and simple, most people aren't in it to be pros, and half the people who get into growing weed think that all you need is some dirt and any old light... Takes a lot of people some time before they realize that the money you put into your equipment, nutes, etc... does have an effect on your end result. Either way though, it's a real-word test done by a real-world grower. He's comparing his current/old setup to the new LED's he just got ;) So for his personal situation, I think it's the best way for it to be compared. :eggnog:

phattybudz

LEDgirl wrote: "So for his personal situation, I think it's the best way for it to be compared."

Yes, that is true. Just saying that the heat could be a factor in why the LEDs are performing better. A good ventilation system would certainly change the results, though it would cost more money to buy and run in the long term.. so I'm not saying it's good or bad necessarily, just that it's different.

botanist85

Im still in for this test, I have complete faith in the dual 126w side. My plants are developing nice flowers as I speak and Im only using a single 126w. Good work on this test but you must install a light barrier to really make things fair. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with everything.

Genetics

LEDgirl wrote: "So for his personal situation, I think it's the best way for it to be compared."

Yes, that is true. Just saying that the heat could be a factor in why the LEDs are performing better. A good ventilation system would certainly change the results, though it would cost more money to buy and run in the long term.. so I'm not saying it's good or bad necessarily, just that it's different.

I have 2 120 cfm exhaust fans in the room on full time while the lights are on. Where I live the temps are at zero outside so there's really no problem with heat, if you know what I mean.

I have someone coming tomorrow or the next day to take some more pictures. We transplanted into 3 gallon pots and took 30 clones off these plants about two weeks ago. Just as a tese though, the plants under the LED lights are still outdoing the ones under HPS.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
picture.php

How come you don't have a wall blocking the light from each grow?

Looks like your leds bleed into your 600 watt and vice a versa.

In all honesty that's not really a comparison. More so your LEd Plants are getting LED and HID look at the light shooting over to the LED plants.

Good luck

I

irishboy

In all honesty that's not really a comparison. More so your LEd Plants are getting LED and HID look at the light shooting over to the LED plants.

Good luck

i agree this test is none conclusive without a wall, the light is leeking on both sides. their is no way to prove what light did better when their both helping grow the plants.

WarBux

Without a wall the plants under the LED are going to get light from the HPS while the plants under the HPS wont benefit from the LED because of 60 degree angle. Your giving the plants under the LED a big advantage. Where are the pics, I am really interested to see the difference between the two even without a wall.

Genetics

Good luck

I think you need to look at a light chart regarding light penetration and the distance at which it's no longer viable.

The two plants farthest to the right are 5 feet away from the HID are taller than the bottom of the reflector. I will go along with the middle plants being helped at the bottom half of the plant, but if anyone thinks a 600 watt HID can produce usable light at 48 inches high and 5 feet to the right of the light should look at an HID light chart. And the two largest plants are the two to the far right of the HID. But if you want to think the HID is helping those two plants, feel free.

I've taken clones from these plants and when these finish we'll do it again with a barrier between them for those that think a 600 HPS penetrates 5 foot away from a plant.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
shananagans, fiddlestix, bull malarkey, what kind of test is this, this is insane,screw a wall in between , lets put each grow in its own area and start over, im really interested in the leds but still seems like every test grow isnt propper, good luck ill check back in a bit but next to each other like that will not give correct results for the led, its cheating so to speak

LEDGirl

Veteran
shananagans, fiddlestix, bull malarkey, what kind of test is this, this is insane,screw a wall in between , lets put each grow in its own area and start over, im really interested in the leds but still seems like every test grow isnt propper, good luck ill check back in a bit but next to each other like that will not give correct results for the led, its cheating so to speak

Can we all please stop beating a DEAD HORSE? :deadhorse Seriously, if you're going to complain or demand that things be done in a different manner (not saying I don't agree with you), then be the one who steps up and shows everyone what you've been wanting to see. Don't sit around telling everyone else to do this or that, as it gets old. According to the grower there will be a test following this one using a wall, so be complacent with what is shown and the information provided until then. Thank you.

ToughGirl

Is it just me, or are those plants kind of sparse for being growing under a 600? Same for the ones under the LED's, which usually look very green and bushy with insanely close node spacing. I'm not trying to be rude by any means, they really look tall and spindly. We veg under 400w, then bloom under 600's and they are always REALLY thick bushes with tight node spacing. The four pictured look really stretchy to me, like around 3ft tall? Maybe it's just me, but those should look like hedges at that height. How high did you have those lights in veg? Again, not trying to be rude or smart, just curious. I love the comparison, but something's a little off. By the thickness of the stock, it looks like they're going to bend from the weight once they really start budding.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

It's the genetics of the plants....killer queen I believe, and if straight from seed they stretch more as opposed to clones or seedplants vegged for 3 months or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.