What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY: A new angle on light proof vents

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
No worries man. Good luck with it. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Has anyone built one yet??? I hope nobody was waiting for my second try because I still haven't bought the angle, haha! Have you had any luck, Fatigues? A user on the micro forum is hopefully knocking one up at the moment. I asked another user about his purchased light trap and he says it's the same louver principle as mine. Would anyone who owns a commercial light trap using this principle care to give the dimensions and gaps/thicknesses it uses?

fatigues

Veteran
No worries man. Good luck with it. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Has anyone built one yet??? I hope nobody was waiting for my second try because I still haven't bought the angle, haha! Have you had any luck, Fatigues?

My louvers are cut. I've been busy to finish it off with spacers and the frame - but I'll get to it in week or three. There's more to do right now in getting the cabs up and running.

I must admit, I became a little concerned after hoosierdaddy came along with the big reveal on the math, the formula for which had me saying "Awww man..." with diminished confidence.

I'll show what I got soon enough. If it works - it will play it's part in my DIY Super Closet^2, probably in my mother/clone chamber. And if I screw it up, I'll go with darkroom louvers and deny the whole thing :nanana:

Has anyone built one yet??? I hope nobody was waiting for my second try because I still haven't bought the angle, haha! Have you had any luck, Fatigues? A user on the micro forum is hopefully knocking one up at the moment. I asked another user about his purchased light trap and he says it's the same louver principle as mine. Would anyone who owns a commercial light trap using this principle care to give the dimensions and gaps/thicknesses it uses?

hey Scrub just waiting on the material to arrive. with any luck it will get here in time for the weekend. if it does il whip it up. unfortunately the fridge is nowhere ready for it,, so that i can test it, but i need the light trap so that i can figure some dimensions to continue on with the build. il rig something up to test it out and post the results sorryt its takeing so long i procrastinated a lil to long on oredering the parts.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
I must admit, I became a little concerned after hoosierdaddy came along with the big reveal on the math, the formula for which had me saying "Awww man..." with diminished confidence.

(Darth Vader voice): I find your lack of faith disturbing, lol! I did make it pretty clear about the blockage from the get go - about one third blockage in my prototype - I learnt most of the airflow stuff I know from Hoosier so we used the same sort of formula in the long run to work out the gaps, just he did it more uh, in depth, so maybe that's confused you or something. My way of doing it is - I used 1.5mm thick angle, and 3mm thick spacers, so it's very simple to see that there's a 1/3rd blockage to the flow dimensions. One thing that worries me is you seemed pretty insistent to make the gaps BIGGER and that seems like suicide to me considering mine isn't perfect. I guess you have the larger dimension angle though, so who knows...

Hey disfunktional that's excellent bro. When you let us know, if you could please inform us of the dimensions of the angling, and the spacer sizes etc, that would help people a lot. Good luck!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We can run, but we can never hide from the laws of nature. Math just helps us know what those laws are, and guides us when working with them. We always choose whether to obey them or not, as free men do.

Hey disfunktional that's excellent bro. When you let us know, if you could please inform us of the dimensions of the angling, and the spacer sizes etc, that would help people a lot. Good luck!

ya no prob. the angle i have ordered is 1 3/4"x 1 3/4"x 1/8" and i ordered 3/8" x 1/2" flat bar so that i have 2 options as far as spacers go. i also have some 1/4" x 1" flatbar just incase i need to tighten the gaps.

fatigues

Veteran
(Darth Vader voice): I find your lack of faith disturbing, lol!

*Gah!* >>chokes<<

One thing that worries me is you seemed pretty insistent to make the gaps BIGGER and that seems like suicide to me considering mine isn't perfect. I guess you have the larger dimension angle though, so who knows...

I got 54 cubic feet to vent and cool. I have...motivation to push some limits. :)

Cymbaline

Late to the party, but...
Just.... wow... :jawdrop:

Thanks for the elegant, simple design. Definitely going into the scrapbook for future builds... plus, it looks great, too!

++ rep, and congratulations on making Pontiac's top list!

:respect:

D

Deaner

That is genius! Thanks for taking the time out to show everyone this.

sneakinman13

Veteran
wow. very cool.
could have use'd something like this about 6 months ago. lol
either way when i get my new setup off the ground i may be interested n something like this. and im sure by then you guys will have 12038 dif ways to build the best one!

again good build my friend!

Tilt

This idea has helped with my current cabinet build. Thank you very much. space saver for sure

Rouge

Well done Scrubninja! You ought to get paid- know what I mean? Ebay, 3X your costs. You stoner capitalist you! Some "what the fuck- is this a better mousetrap?" rep to Hoosierdaddy too.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks a lot fellas :) One proud ICmagger right here!

If I may, a quick photo of my new project. I think anyone who appreciates the sleek lines of the grill design will get a kick out of this. I smoke a lotta weed to come up with these ideas :smoke:

Tilt, and everyone, be sure to post up a report...thanks.

yo Scrub this may be a stjupid question but whats that a pic of? i might not be looking at it right for me to see what it is.

Thanks a lot fellas :) One proud ICmagger right here!

If I may, a quick photo of my new project. I think anyone who appreciates the sleek lines of the grill design will get a kick out of this. I smoke a lotta weed to come up with these ideas :smoke:

Tilt, and everyone, be sure to post up a report...thanks.
I ALSO...I smoke a lotta weed 2,but im lost on this idea from you :wallbash:

Latest posts

Latest posts