What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY: A new angle on light proof vents

So I went to Home DePot yesterday inspired by the first few pages of this thread, and thought I was clever when I found the galvanized drip edge in the roofing section. It is super thin and what's better super cheap, like $1.50 for a 12' piece. I also grabbed a piece of corner molding that measured about .32" to cut up for spacers.

I got the stuff home, painted it with some leftover BBQ flat black, cut it to length with an old pair of tin snips, dabbed some liquid nails on the spacers and squeezed the whole thing together at the ends with some foil tape. Having some rubber bands on hand to hold the pieces while you're working is a really good idea too.

The only drawback to this thin material is that, well, it's so thin it's flexible. It's best to make sure everything is straight and square before you start assembling the thing. I was thinking about seeing if I could get away without gluing but I figure it's cheap insurance to keep it together if it gets bumped or maybe even bent a little so I can tweak it back into place without the whole contraption coming apart.

It's not 100% but the way I'm using it they're by far and away not only the best option in terms of performance and space but economical to boot. Thanks for the ideas, bros.

psiber14

I know it's an old thread but this has to be one of the most compact and effective DIY light traps I have ever seen. Amazing work!

vta

Veteran
Another option that only costs about $20 is two offset registers. Paint the inside wall with flat black...

Worked great for me and my offset was only about 2'...

picture.php

Sluicebox

VTA, that's a great idea, offset register vents. Brilliant! Flat black paint as you point out would be key to making it work.

Drop That Sound

Attachments

• a0cb430e-b75f-4b17-a4e4-c167809e300e_400.jpg
    a0cb430e-b75f-4b17-a4e4-c167809e300e_400.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Drop That Sound

Heres mine

Heres mine

Ended up adding a box to baffle it a little bit anyway. I'd say its like 95% effecient without. it Adding a 3rd vent on the door in my room really helped to shoot air more evenly throughout, and with the lightproof design allowed a much slimmer & compact unit then any other way.

Now i'm going sealed and will cover the hole but nice to know its there :)

Sorry for sideways & upside down pics. you would think it would auto orient?

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 44
I'm going to build one of these for my new grow cab!

This is what I'll be working with.

The orange box on top will have a 2 x 4" holes for exhaust - one on the bottom and one on the back - powered by a computer fan, using 4" PVC w/ an elbow for ducting. It'll also house the electrical supply, fan controllers, timers, etc.

The useable footprint is 13"x13", so with a 10"x10" louvered vent on the bottom of the green cab I should have enough airflow.

Haven't decided on the exact siding I'll use for the vent but I'm leaning towards wood. Easy to cut, easy to glue, and once it is all dry and solid it should make attaching a frame much easier.

I'll post updates as things progress!