What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Detailed Tutorial: How to power PC fans with a computer power supply.

I messed around with changing which ones I plugged into eachother and finally found a solution that was permanent (ran it for several days no short circuits/shut offs/ problems.)

I dont know what their label is for the plugs but the ones suggested at the beginning of this thread did not work for me, as I mentioned there was a time period after which my fans and PS would shutoff.

Although it was suggested to me that my PS may be a dud, I did not believe so.. I believed it was a safety-powersaving-esque feature

I rewired to this and hope this may help someone who had a similar problem

DSC01224.jpg

yosun

lol,got happy when i saw this..scrounged thru the house..got it! an old supply,cut the green..the black,spliced em..plugged it in,it working!..then i recalled why this 1 got replaced..lol,the internal fan is loud as hell! time to find the wd 40:)

RudeDog

Veteran
Greetings....I can get one fan running but when i connect another fan, both will run for 20 seconds then cut out. I have to unplug the power supply for a couple of minutes before it will run again. I've got four 120mm fans to connect to a 240 power supply.

Any ideas why it won't run more than one fan? I'm doing everything right, I believe.

try my suggestion about using a different wiring setup on the PSU. i can't guarantee it will work or be safe as I don't know the wiring of the PSU itself and am not a qualified electrician though, so best to test it for as much time as you can be home before allowing it to run without you there (i think this goes for any electricity tips anyone receives from non-pros!)

Sandnut

Can someone help me connect this fan (12v=dc 1.30A) to my pcu unit, the cables have different colours than all the guides i could find.. I got some pictures below.. Everything is done except the fact that i dont know the wire combination,