What's new

Awesome find: gamecube psu for pc fans.

twrex

I just found this buried in another thread from a few months back for a great cheap power supply for pc fans.

The gamecube power supply is a 12v 3.25A power supply which can be found for $10 at your local gamestop. That's enough to run three 120mm pc fans (as most seem to draw around 1A) with a little wiggle room to spare.

As far as inexpensive ac to dc converters go this seems to be a great deal, plus it doesn't take up the extra space the wall wort type do on your power strip. This should also be more stealthy than re-purposing a computer power supply which is what I was considering previously.

Hopefully this helps someone.

kinesis

Why not just use one of these, it hooks directly into molex 4 pin 12v computer fans directly, and can be used with other accessories like a digital fan controller and rpm display (sold on NewEgg, for example)

Here is an example of said product:
http://www.amazon.com/110v-4pin-molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B000MGG6SC/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

It's more $ than a Gamecube adapter, but designed for the purpose of powering 12v molex without a hackjob or cutting any wiring (a fire risk).

Just velcro strap it discretely to the side of your computer case.

You can also get silver ducting for PC fans :)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=1941

twrex

Yes, I've used those molex adapters in the past but as you can see for more money and such you still only get 2A of power. For my money I prefer the cheaper price and more power, but it's good information to have around for people who aren't quite as DIY minded I suppose.

U

ukganjafarmer

the generic adjustable dc apdaters cost less than that so whats the point ?

Most generic adapters dont have push out 3.25a of power. I had a hard time finding one that would work and fully power my current PC fans, so this would have been a godsend when I was looking. I ended up using an old Laptop one as that was the only one I had with over 1a on the output. Also it is cheap, why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch about this guy trying to help everyone out with a very accessible, high output, cheap alternative option?

kinesis

What about this idea bro? USB wires are thinner and this idea is way cleaner:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175414

usb 80mm fans, attachable dryer ducting, the works are all described in that article.

I can't find a thermostat sensor chip for USB though, but can find an AC thermostat. I want an AC thermostat with Temp and Humidity, though and they don't seem to have one. Kill two birds with 1 stone.. Temp and Thermostat in 1.. so I dont have to buy a digital hygrometer/thermometer.

This idea takes less energy (better carbon footprint) and doesn't require a hot bulky gamecube power brick, just a plug in USB adapter with 4 ports.

What about this idea bro? USB wires are thinner and this idea is way cleaner:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175414

usb 80mm fans, attachable dryer ducting, the works are all described in that article.

I can't find a thermostat sensor chip for USB though, but can find an AC thermostat. I want an AC thermostat with Temp and Humidity, though and they don't seem to have one. Kill two birds with 1 stone.. Temp and Thermostat in 1.. so I dont have to buy a digital hygrometer/thermometer.

This idea takes less energy (better carbon footprint) and doesn't require a hot bulky gamecube power brick, just a plug in USB adapter with 4 ports.

How is this way any cleaner? I do it the method in the OP and I just have 1 wire running, USB wires are any not thinner than the wires on a fan/power supply. Not sure what you are talking about. Also the assortment of fans available in USB is absolutely terrible where as the assortment of fans available with molex connectors is amazing :).

Also this way is only 1 product you have to buy, its cheaper, and just as efficient.

twrex

These are good ideas, and have their places but you must consider how much power these things have to put out, just because it plugs into the wall and has a usb plug on it doesn't mean it has unlimited power to give you.

Per the USB spec you're guaranteed 5v (technically 4.75V, but lets not split hairs) and at least 100ma (.1A) but most will push out at least .5A. USB 3.0 spec will cover up to .9A but that's still not terribly much power. In a best case scenario you have "A Dedicated Charging Port can supply a maximum of 1.8 A of current at 5.25 V." (from the wiki usb article)

So to summarise output power:
12v*3.25A=35W for GC PSU
vs.
5.25v*1.8=9.45W for an ideal case usb charging port. (will probably cost as much or more than the GC psu too)

Do you see what I'm saying here? My suggestion obviously isn't the best solution for one or two small 80mm fans, but more for someone who needs to bring the power to a couple of beefy 120mm's and maybe a couple of smaller secondary fans.

kinesis

http://www.amazon.com/110v-Power-Su...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275182198&sr=1-4

it says 12v +- 5A

http://www.amazon.com/BENCH-COMPUTER-POWER-SUPPLY-ADAPTER/dp/B0013OJOE0/ref=pd_cp_e_2

also says 5A ?

Both seem smaller. Also you should cool the brick, as it adds heat to the environment and is a fire risk. FYI

So anyways it's clear molex is the way to go. I found a source on eBay for a 12v thermostat sensor you can directly wire into your cooling system, it has a potentiometer to set your desired temperature.

I want to grab this one from wally world online store
Be careful with walmart bro, ive had stuff break from them. Be safe don't start a fire.

twrex

Awesome links everyone!

Dundee: I'm assuming he was talking about the molex connectors. I, like you, initially read it as the usb solution was cleaner (which I agree, is certainly a lot less clean)

Kinesis: The 5A with molex connectors is certainly an awesome find. I got so entrenched looking up the USB stuff I forgot those were mentioned. If I had a need for something like this then I'd definitely go with one of those, and at the same price as the gamecube ones, good stuff.

BC: Nice link but for price and simplicity, I think the molex converters are probably a better deal.

U

ukganjafarmer

Most generic adapters dont have push out 3.25a of power. I had a hard time finding one that would work and fully power my current PC fans, so this would have been a godsend when I was looking. I ended up using an old Laptop one as that was the only one I had with over 1a on the output. Also it is cheap, why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch about this guy trying to help everyone out with a very accessible, high output, cheap alternative option?

:comfort:

twrex

Hahaha, that's pretty awesome, but I think that if you need that much power for fans then perhaps you might be at the scale that you should look into a proper air handling unit. Of course if overkill and using lots of pc fans is your thing then by all means!

kinesis

I think its a really good and modular idea, they make 12v air and water pumps to run your hydro/aero as well :) so you can wire it all up to one small PSU. They have tons of server blowers to choose from here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/systemcooler.html
The fogger takes up more power I believe and needs it's own jack. I want to run fogponics with a 10 minute duty cycle, which will keep the reservoir appropriately fogged
You can get 18 gauge or greater wire, and not have to use all those connectors. Just 4 18gauge colored wires the length needed (black red yellow white) and on one end is a molex end you crimp on, the other end is the U shaped banana wire hooks for the PSU. Wire it all up to a fan speed controller and mount it professionally in your cab to monitor fan RPM's and temps if possible. They have thermostat sensors 12v for molex, allowing cooling fans to kick in so you can get your desired temperature.

The exhaust blower winner is the Nidec Ultraflo G12C Blower. I can't find where to get it though, might be special order from the company, might cost over 30 bucks. I'm after a low carbon footprint. By using 12v and only the amps/watts I need, I reduce electricity usage.
http://www.nidec.com/g12c/g12c.htm

I have a schematic outlined for a very effective carbon scrubber. People were dogging on 120MM fans saying they aren't good enough, I'm out to do an experiment and prove it can be done.

Like I said by sourcing a 12 volt rail that has the amps you need, you can better organize your wiring and devices and use a low amount of energy. The computer fans run quiet too, and have modular ducting accessories :)

Now to figure out if I want to get a 90W UFO LED or 4x 55W PL-L biax w/ custom reflectors from the Aquarium Wholesale website.

I suggested this way back when. nice find. I too, liked the semi-cheap price tag and it has enough power to run several of these, which is not something most cell phone chargers will do.

Latest posts

Latest posts