What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill C-15 has passed in Canada. You will get 6 Months prison for one plant. ORGANIZE.

at least they specify that the minimum is for trafficking..

satch does sound like that ad... haha... american tactics... let's clean up politics, the usa shouldn't be our inspiration

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy shit. Five plants-minimum 6 months.

What the hell happened in Canada for this to happen?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
...the Liberals who are our best hope at ANY progress in regards to marijuana in Canada.

Kharmagirl everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you really think that the liberals, who just supported mandatory minimums for growers, are our best bet to decriminalization nay legalization and thus freedom for people in the Cannabis movement, you are clearly well out of the loop as to what has been happening in our political culture in Canada. The NDP and the Green party BOTH support decriminalization and are against mandatory minimums and legal repercussions in regards to health issues like drug use.

EDIT: the vast Majority of the PMs from the Bloc Quebecois also voted against this Bill and should be congratulated for their efforts.

When supposed 'cannabis enthusiasts' like yourself parrot the lies of those 'in charge' and support their attempts to criminalize us as human beings for innocent and harmless actions, we are truly in a sad state. Brainwashed, or perhaps just sadly ignorant on the issue.

I'm really disappointed in your blindness to the reality of the situation. It's one thing to support a political party for personal reasons, and a completely different thing to support them when they are clearly taking action against us as a community.

I hope you'll do some research and reconsider your position.

-Chimera

This post was originally a separate posts that should have followed the previous one ^^ ... however it was deleted andsubsequently re-posted by a mod, and now appears here:

The contention that liberals are the best bet for legalization or decriminalization shows a complete ignorance of the reality of the political scene in Canada.

The next 2 largest parties after the the Liberals and conservatives BOTH support decriminalization and health approaches to drugs and drug use as opposed to legal penalties.

Sure, they are much smaller parties and only received a combine ~ %11 percent of all votes across the country in the last federal election, and %12.5 of seats in the lower house.... however these 2 parties, as well as the federal marijuana party are CLEARLY much more supportive of the rights of those in the cannabis community, and thus CLEARLY a better bet as far as achieving rational laws in regards to cannabis use, cultivation, and potentially legalization.

Now I don't know if you are a grower or not, and thus perhaps you don't care because these laws don't affect you... but I truly believe you need to check your facts and reconsider both your position and the reality of where the liberal party is heading with their tough on crime mimicry of the conservatives, and thus anti-marijuana rhetoric.

-Chimera

***This post should be read between posts #47 and #48. It originally was posted there before it was deleted and re-posted here by a moderator.****

I believe technically Mike Harris- (former?) Premiere of Ontario - was the first to introduce to concept to privatized prisons in Canada but this was of course at a provincial level, not a federal one.

Your point however is quite an astute observation of the true con$ervative agenda...ie- more money for their corporate cronies. I remember a day when we could sit up north of the US and say that that type of thing doesn't fly here in Canada, but the neo-conservative agenda has pushed it's way well into the Canadian political system.

Privatized prisons look good on the government balance sheet as the initial cost to the government is lower- allowing the party in power to use this 'tremendous saving in prison expenditures" to tout their political prowess and accomplishments. What isn't readily apparent to most, however, is the fact that privatized prisons cost VASTLY more in the long run when one looks at the costs over years and years.

Typically, when the Canadian government would build a prison the cost was amortized over a period of years, which led to an initial appearance of a large expenditure from government (and thus the tax-payer's) coffers. However, when you look at the actual total costs of building the prisons, staffing and maintenance costs, and per inmate costs per Annum - as compared to the total costs the private prisons charge the government per inmate; in the long run it is MUCH more economical for the government to build and maintain the prisons themselves, even though the initial outlay is greater. The difference is due to the profit margin charged by the private companies that run prisons (Wackenhut for example) which would not exist if the government took complete responsibility for building, staffing and maintaining the facilities. Not to mention the incentive to find other alternatives to legal punishment for 'soft crimes' such as drug posession, trafficking and cultivation of Cannabis.

Wakenhut, for example, is a publicly traded company, and the SOLE responsibility of ANY publicly traded company is to maximize the profits for the shareholders. We the taxpayer are now on the line for the corporate profits due to the shareholders of companies like Wakenhut for financing the construction of our prisons, so the conservatives (or liberals) can make their books appear as if they are spending less money. The fact is that over time the government will spend MORE money when dealing with privatized industry such as prisons. This is not responsible government.

On a similar note, Stephen Harper announced today that they will be shutting down the nuclear reactor in Chalk River that produces the vast majority of the canadian supply of Isotopes for Medical research and diagnostics. Not surprisingly, they will be closing this reactor in favour of a supply derived from PRIVATE corporate interests. Do you see a trend here? hmmm....

-Chimera

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Vote Green and get them some seats to have a hope of change....these big 3 parties are a joke.

and Mountain Jam rocks!

On a hunch, I googled these three words. Check the first 3 links.
Surprise surprise. It turns out, in 2007 Prime Minister Stephen Harper opened the door to privatized prisons, and now we have passed legislation to allow more of the Canadian population to go to jail, gee I wonder what is going on here.. Fucking assholes in our government are popping champagne bottles right now with rich private jail tycoons. I wish I was more articulate to explain it better. I could just fucking scream.

mr noodles

there is hope...senator jean paul nolin , an old CONSERVATIVE senator and he is a strong advocate of legalisation. i think him and the senate made a recommendation about decriminalisation a few years ago...harper might hit some sand in is vaseline...

the senate have to debate before voting and c-15 will have to wait is turn..senators are not fast at all. this might take months and the liberals wait until September to kick harper and is reform party .anyway the justice system cannot deal with this stupid law

a big fuck off to the liberals because they wait just to have more money to go in another election , they sacrifice canadians ...they better move their ass . the isotopes issues is fucking major and harper should be kicked just for that . canadians tax payers will dies by the fault of the harper admin .

cbc/radio canada reported that many hospitals had no more isotopes or replacements . this mean no more exam and if you had an appointment = canceled and wait while cancer might be growing in you and you cant get a proper treatment because no diagnostic can be made...its fucking serious

the liberals kinda make me nauseous.....damn it.... kick Harper out ! its enough !

basilfarmer

Holy shit. Five plants-minimum 6 months.

What the hell happened in Canada for this to happen?

This happened. A fascist dickwad in power all the redneck haters and corperate vampires can count on.

stephenharperhitler.jpg

by the way, last federal election - many, many people here in these forums online voted green or NDP becuase the liberals backed Hiel Harper 42 times including those unconstitutional mandatorys, bill c-26 was fully backed by liberals and passed before last election, and that plainly stated 1 plant COULD get you 6 month mandatory - I see they've upped it to more than 5 plants while they build private jails with coffin sized cells, the fucking bastards.

I dont know if this was amended, but in last I read it was a 1 year mandatory sentence for making hash in any quantity fuck me, its gonna be a full house tonight.

Its not just canna either. anyone they can scape goat and marginalize while the ignorant rednecks cheer on. instead of doing the right thing that would take some brains and balls ---and go after organized crime & gangs that are ruining this country, they are throwing the book at smaller people. Legalizing cannabis would damned near put half the gangs out of business, but ohhhh there would be job losses in the criminal "justice" sector too, OOPS.. Some old war vet or farmer that hasnt the right nazi paperwork on restricted gun, now gets a mandatory 3 year mandatory minimum JUST FOR POSSESSION --even though he was not comitting a crime with it and even though violent crime has GONE DOWN in every state concealed carry permits were issued. gun control is as misunderstood as canna prohibition
===> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YTM_eAWnQ

gays too. of all the problems a priminister should be addressing, the first thing he started mouthing off about when he got into office was gay marriage. wtf??? you redneck alberta bible thumping hater?! what about fixing our fucked up health care system? oh yeah, i forgot, before he joined the opposition he travelled around with the sole mission to privatize canada's healthcare system and screaming for more cuts to it ....god bless our Canada, soon to be a nazi police state owned by multi-national corperations - including imprisioning human beings for profit

while the idiot sheeple majority eat it all up and become more docile and selfish every generation - afterall - they have an iPhone :bigeye:

amoralsystem.jpg

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would suspect that any good lawyer would get them to drop the charge to possession if you had 20 or less plants.

They have to prove that you wanted to distribute the weed. Its kind of hard to do if you have 10 plants and a 300 dollar an hour lawyer.

E

elmanito

Oh Canada this sucks.Probably he is paid to push Bill C-15 to legislation.
Its a pity and actually i was hoping that Canada with the US was giving a good vibe to the EU marijuana movement.
I hope that the Canadians who voted for this bill will understand that they gonna pay more tax CND $ for the private prisons than before.Stupid!!!
CBC should broadcast the docu The Union: The business behind getting high every day

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1657827965975839596

Namaste :canabis:

♥Mo♥

Sad to hear. As said before, it appears the one's in charge like the example the good ole US has provided. Prison is big business here in the US. There are many communities built with the implementation of a prison(not to be confused with a jail) thus alot of money is generated. On a side note persay, I find it interesting every so many years Canada "appears" to be moving towards decrim./legalizing cannabis and the USA get's tougher with drug laws only to go a few years more and the tables "appear" to be turned. The US now "appears" to be somewhat more accepting of cannabis and canada is getting tougher. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what could/would happen if obama were removed. Not that obama is the fixall, lol but is one of the very fine strings between dea raids, etc..., just my .02 Good luck canada, heading this direction you will need it.:joint:

mr noodles

the parliament and the senate will close the session for the summer next friday . i think there no chance in hell that this law will be debated and voted in a short lapse of time , especially with the opposition it will face in the senate. the senator can reject the law ans

they will close the house of common and all until September . usually its around sept 20-25 with a new session .

with the isotopes crisis which is way more serious than anything else, way more serious than pot . in a few week its going to be the main problem because thousands of peoples will get their appointment cancelled for cancer detection. its already started in my province and its all over the media . your rendez vous is definitely postponed until isotopes are available......holly fuck there none available for months ...peoples just dont realise the amplitude of the dramatic situation .

we have the liberals and the opposition that have until friday to vote against the conservative about the stimulus package and the isotopes crisis . but its likely that the liberals will wait next fall to vote against the harper admin . the liberals will let the isotopes crisis evolve to a national issue and let it backfire in the face of the conservative maniacs , let a few things continue to go wrong while the liberals gain in the polls...

another funny thing....all members of the conservatives party have been ask to invades blogs, forum with this statement: we don't want another election ...because canadian are tired to vote...well im not !

fuck harper, fuck the conservative...in fact fuck the fucking reform party because thats what hide behind the liberals . a bunch of creationist who deny science and evolution . white talibans they are

Click HERE and find your city to see if your MP voted yes or no for Bill C-15.
You can also click on your MP's name to see their picture and contact info.
Call them up and tell them you want to instate mandatory minimum prison sentences for politicians who deliberately betray the will of the people.

Everyone should program their MP's numbers into their phones and call them whenever we are concerned about certain bills being introduced.

Also, here is a full list of Senators, the senate will be voting on the bill. SO CONTACT THEM.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Something that many don't understand is that the USA is an empire. Part of the fun of being the president of the USA is calling the shots and dictatiing policy in pretty much every other country. We declare a war on drugs and here is our closest neighbor damn near making it legal. Americans can go to Vancouver and partake in this highly illegal activity and becoming addicted to marijuana. Then they are able to get it into the USA from one of the plains states between Washington and NY. If you don't do what the USA Empire wants you are sanctioned with heavy trade restrictions and financial aid restrictions. The USA is a big bully with it's money and uses it very carefully to effect it's agenda in the rest of the world. It is a game of chess that the governments of these countries play to not appear as a puppet to the USA yet still get money from the USA and favorable trade. It is all about money.
you couldn't have put it any better, all about money! wait till the border patrol starts patrolling between Washington and NY all hell is going to break lose, the mid game has already been busted to pieces since the placement of agents among bordering states of Mexico. What will happen when there's agents place all over the northern border? shit is getting hectic... if your in the US you better start supplying the people around you cuz our bordering countrys that profit billions from us are no longer going to be controlling the drug trade... good for the USA monetary gain, bad for the canadians that smuggle for a living, and bad for all the drug dealers in america that only know how to sell drugs... lol this is def a possitive movement in my eyes. I am in and on the streets everyday and i have a big eye on the situation at hand. lemme tell you!! id say from what i see on a daily basis that 9/10's of the pot smoked in america is not from america. what does that do for our monetary gain? (hearing a plane crash).... this law is not only for canadians it is indefinetly going to hurt more americans then anything(lack of supply) until more local grows are going(the way it should be)

mr noodles

senator nolin is a conservative by the way and in the chimera post there a very important statement he want cannabis to be legalise for real and he is still standing strong !

from very good source i can say that senator jean lapointe is fucking against c-15 and he said that bill is a scandalous piece of crap .the only way to have c-15 passed its going to remove cannabis from the bill . there opposition in the senate !

ignatieff is an anti pot period . the last liberal that was open to the mj cause was stephane dion . he was booted out like a garbage .

jack layton seems the only viable option but the media hate him and labeled him as a joke so there no hope for canadians .

the only thing that might hit harper and ignatieeeef in the face is if obama decrim weed or if california go legal which i doubt ...my dream to hear obama telling that canadian didn't learned a thing from the us experience...in my dream

jawnroot

I would suspect that any good lawyer would get them to drop the charge to possession if you had 20 or less plants.

They have to prove that you wanted to distribute the weed. Its kind of hard to do if you have 10 plants and a 300 dollar an hour lawyer.

The way the law works, when you grow (ie: manufacture a controlled substance), the intent to distribute is more or less implied.

If you were busted, this is how a conversation with a $300 per hour lawyer would go:

Lawyer: "So, it looks like you got popped with, hmm, ten plants?
You: "Yeah, but five of them were small clones just rooting."
Lawyer: "Doesn't matter."
You: "Well, either way, it was just for my head. I wasn't going to traffic, so no big, right?"
Lawyer: "Wrong. When you grow any number of plants, when you manufacture a controlled substance, there is an automatic assumption of an intent to distribute/traffic."
You: "That's absurd!"
Lawyer: "Maybe, but that's the way the law works. They say the burden of proof is on the state, but that's bullshit. It's on you. And you know what the judge and those old ladies in the jury think? You're a manufacturer of a controlled substance. They don't care about the realities of the matter, they're caught up in the legal-ese."
You: "So what does this mean?"
Lawyer: "It means you're looking at a laundry list of charges. I can probably get some of them shit-canned, but you're looking at the six month mandatory, at bare minimum. You'll also be a convicted felon, and all that implies."
You: "This can't be the way it's gonna go, can't be..."
Lawyer: "Well, there is an alternative..."
You: "...."
Lawyer: "You can cooperate with the cops, become an informant. You might get charged with nothing, but most likely you'll catch something with lengthy probation and no jail time."
You: "What the fuck kind of alternative is that?"
Lawyer: "The only one you got."
You: "Goddamn..."
Lawyer: "Pretty much. ...so, eh, are you gonna be paying in cash, by money order, or bank draft?"

Everybody assumes there's some legal backdoor they can grease through. Not trying to be a jerk, but it doesn't work that way. These laws are set up solely for the purpose of busting people, not for creating loopholes. Just watch the first few minutes of the George Cloony flick "Michael Clayton." It doesn't deal with this issue, but it gets to the heart of what I'm trying to say (ie: a good lawyer is NOT a silver bullet). If you commit a crime, and you're blatantly guilty of it (ie: if the cops walk into your pad and find you growing weed) then you WILL be found guilty of it, and sentenced accordingly. A good lawyer can soften the blow somewhat, and in some cases can leverage plea-bargains, etc, but on the whole you do the crime, you do the time.

And just so we're clear, a "good" lawyer will feed you bullshit right up until you're in the cell and the money stops flowing. Then you'll never hear from him/her again. A great lawyer will tell you like it is, and help prepare you for the shit-storm you're facing.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
jawroot I can see from your post that you are likely studying at an american institution (and thus your comments are not really on the mark), although I do of course see your point.

However, I have seen people walk away from 'sure thing' convictions on numerous occasions. Please understand that we are talking about a different judicuary system to yours, if I am correct in the assumption that you are not Canadian.

-Chimera

PS- thanks JJ...

jawnroot

jawroot I can see from your post that you are likely studying at an american instituion (and thus your comments are not really on the mark), although I do of course see your point.

However, I have seen people walk away from 'sure thing' convictions on numerous occasions. Please understand that we are talking about a different judicuary system to yours, if I am correct in the assumption that you are not Canadian.

-Chimera

Regardless of what country you're in, don't think you can get away with a crime because you have a good lawyer/attorney/solicitor/barrister. The justice systems are different when traveling to different locales, but the spirit is the same: You do the crime, you do the time. Period. The only exception is if you're in some backwater place where you can pay everyone off (and for the record, Canada is not such a place).

Again, I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but to get you guys to realize the severity of the situation. You grow more than five in Canada, you're walking the razor's edge.

Chimera: If you were playing Russian roulette, and the three guys before you pulled the trigger and lived, would you feel more or less at ease when the gun came your way? Speaking to the matter at hand, I can only assume the guys you knew that got off were prosecuted under the old laws, correct? These new laws are much more defined and hard-lining. Just food for thought. Be very careful/mindful of what you're doing, and where you're doing it.