What's new

Autoflowering tropical Sativas (NLD)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey folks,

I read a thread here a while ago about tropical cannabis from La Reunion that stated it autoflowers. One of those guys that disappeared before harvest and didn't come back so no response from him, haha.

Would be glad about any hint or seed sources for more tropical landraces that autoflower.

Keep it up
Rajas
That's a good question friend. Maybe someone will show up who knows something. Hold what you got.

Hey folks,

I read a thread here a while ago about tropical cannabis from La Reunion that stated it autoflowers. One of those guys that disappeared before harvest and didn't come back so no response from him, haha.

Would be glad about any hint or seed sources for more tropical landraces that autoflower.

Keep it up
Rajas
OK, I might have a "hint" for you but not much more than that. I know I've heard of Zamal (La Reunion) autoflowering but I don't think I've heard of any specific variety of Zamal with a stabilized autoflowering trait. So perhaps it's a pheno in some varieties but I don't know how common. French Touch Seeds make no mention of autoflowering in their descriptions of Mangu Karot or Kalité Tizane.

Tanzanian is one that comes to mind but I think I've read conflicting info about whether it autoflowers. I don't know if it's the Tanzanian Magic you're looking for or what. Not sure what the consensus is on the East Africa Genes guy but he advertises a "Moshi sativa" from Tanzania. It's not advertised as an autoflower but his website describes doing a test grow using 12/12 from seed so maybe it's a possibility.

And I vaguely recall hearing of CBG's Durban sometimes but not consistently autoflowering. I grew it but I believe I did 11/13 from seed so I couldn't tell you.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I think that the autoflowering notion for pure sativa is like a mistake induced by indoor and unatural 18/6 shedule for them. The automatic is more prevalent for high latitude and i would say that with an excessive light time a pure sat can bug for sure and without really complete flowering from 18/6!

Last edited:

Lolo94

I think that the autoflowering notion for pure sativa is like a mistake induced by indoor and unatural 18/6 shedule for them. The automatic is more prevalent for high latitude and i would say that with an excessive light time a pure sat can bug for sure and without really complete flowering from 18/6!
Is there any evidence of an auto flowering sativa in its native environment exposed to its native light cycle?

gorilla ganja

Is there any evidence of an auto flowering sativa in its native environment exposed to its native light cycle?
It depends on what you mean by autoflowering or day-neutral. Many equatorial Sativa will initiate flowering at a certain age rather than a different light cycle as the light cycle varies very little and is roughly 12/12 year around. But that does not mean they will flower with any light cycle, as anything over 12 hrs of light will keep most, if not all, in a vegetative state.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Actually i don't think so! (?)

For pure sat the distinction is more about reveg and perennial Green geno/pheno property for some with endless flowering times :biggrin:

Last edited:

Rajas

Premium user
It depends on what you mean by autoflowering or day-neutral. Many equatorial Sativa will initiate flowering at a certain age rather than a different light cycle as the light cycle varies very little and is roughly 12/12 year around. But that does not mean they will flower with any light cycle, as anything over 12 hrs of light will keep most, if not all, in a vegetative state.
I chated with a friend about it for quite a while. And we are shure we aren't shure.
I personally see the pure equatorial 0N and 12/12 sativas as plants that have no veg time. The stretch of that plant during 12/12 is all it got. Sativas do have quite a bit of stretch, so that's how it works.

Its actually 3 phases of flowering: stretch, flowering and stretch, no stretch and growing of the foxtails only, (ripening).

Other factors of inducing flowering can be: drought, a certain height, lack of nutrients can induce flowering, decreasing light hours (summer solstice) and being rootbound (some north african strains are said to have all of these triggers). Sudden "shock" of nutrients in NLD varieties can prolong the flowering time and cause it to reflower and a lack of nutrients can make it stop flowering and make it ripen. Just trying to show influences onto the flowering mechanism of these sativas/NLDs.

I see no reason why autoflowering strains would have any problems surving in equatorial regions. And vise versa pure equatorial strains seem to react with lower daylight hours (11/13... 10/14) with faster ripening and stronger flowering. I saw a grow here on ICMAG of an Orissa landraces grown outdoors in Germany and it finished with some decent flowers on it, probably because of shorter daylight hours that made it go faster. Kullu from Khalifa Genetics goes 20 weeks indoors but it comes from an environment that will get snowy after about 14 weeks; just as most other north indian strains will stop at round about the same week count.

Last edited:

Rajas

Premium user
Costa Rica with 12 hours +-40 minutes has seasons already. Tropical plants planted during the flowering season stay dwarfs.

revegeta666

Do you remember which Zamal or a thread where you read it?
I saw it when I grew a cross by forum friend @Mustafunk. The cross was just labeled zamal x jamaica BM. Not 100% sure about the zamal strain used, I would say probably either kalité tizane or mango karot. I grew 6 females of this cross and all started flowering prematurely when I was late to transplant them.

Edit - it was Fil Rouge.
IMG_20221015_205347.jpg

Last edited:

Rajas

Premium user
Which exact circumstances were they in when going into flowering?
I saw it when I grew a cross by forum friend @Mustafunk. The cross was just labeled zamal x jamaica BM. Not 100% sure about the zamal strain used, I would say probably either kalité tizane or mango karot. I grew 6 females of this cross and all started flowering prematurely when I was late to transplant them.
View attachment 18981709

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
its an incorrect term thats come about through misdiagnosis,
tropical sativas do not auto flower , what would be the point???

as mentioned they are uncomfortable with the hours given to them , ie 18/6,
and it is more likely simply heavy pre flower ,
they would not finish flowering with long days ,
and have no other traits typical of auto flowering types ,
its not auto flowering ....

when i had this conversation with one of the guys spreading the auto flowering tropical sativa myth,
he got aggressive with me and called me a troll,
although im fairly sure i am correct and he is spreading misinformation ...

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Flat earth syndrome ^^

when i had this conversation with one of the guys spreading the auto flowering tropical sativa myth,
he got aggressive with me and called me a troll,
although im fairly sure i am correct and he is spreading misinformation ...
Mustafunk ?