What's new

Ambre's Bogglegum, Lifesaver, & MagicalMystery Grow

Rodriguez

After your help in another thread i found your thread here, wow, nice one Ambre,
Very informative,hope your migranes arent giving you too much grief :joint:

G

Rodriguez: Thank you for the kind words! I am glad you are finding it helpful. I plan of keeping this going through harvest even though I've not posted a proper update for a couple of weeks; I've been finishing the flowering garden and trying to keep up with work (I own my own business).

Bonzo:

That was 8 days after cutting them from the mother. Not all the cuttings were equally well rooted at that point; I had moved the ones that had larger roots to a separate bubbler so I could give them more nutrients without damaging the ones that had smaller root systems developed.

I use RO water, adjusted to pH of about 6.0 and one or two drops of Superthrive. Keep the temps in the upper 70's or lower 80's for rooting. I don't submerge the stems; I keep the stems just above the water line and let the drops from bursting bubbles do the work. You need to have a good airstone & air pump to get really good bubbles. This helps prevent rot and damp-off.

When I cut the clones, I cut the stem at about a 45 degree angle and then I scarify the stem just above the cut. Scarifying is cutting off a small slice of the outer layer of the stem so that a bit of the inside layer is exposed - this speeds up root formation. I also do all my cuts under water in a flat shallow dish (usually a tray from a microwave dinner that I have sterilized).

Replace the water every couple of days to prevent bacteria or anything from growing. Keep the lights above the bubbler dim and not too close. I don't mist the cuttings after the first day or so and have found I usually don't need to use a humidity dome since the bubbler puts out quite a bit of moisture.

As soon as I start seeing the nubs of roots growing, I add a small amount of nutrient to the solution. I use GenHydro Flora series and add 1ml/gallon of water each micro, grow, and bloom. When I see the roots reaching down for the water, I increase the nutrient solution to 1.5ml grow, 2 ml micro, & 4 ml bloom.

I only lost two clones this round, and it was because I cut them too short. The plant I cut them from wasn't as far along as the rest of the plants and the branches of the under growth were too short to get good cuttings.

I'll be putting up a proper update to this thread this weekend, having finally gotten work caught up after finishing the flowering garden. The clones are small, but I have already switched them to 12/12 so I can sex them and get rid of males. I'll replace any males with females and get on with flowering. I have clones still in the bubbler cloners ready to go into the garden; they are also on 12/12 lighting so they will be at the same stage of flowering when I change them out.

Hope this helps!

Mary Mary

Hi ambre, :wave:

Your garden and journal are great. Hope you don't mind another set of eyes watching. I generally don't post much but I'm subscribed and watching.

All the best,
Mary

Bonzo

Veteran
Thank you Ambre, thats pretty much what i got goin on, i dunno, gunna give em a few more days.

thanks again

bonz

G

Update 10-8

Update 10-8

It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated, but I've been busy getting the flowering garden finished so I could get clones moved into it.

9-25

Emptied the reservoirs in both large bubblers and replaced with fresh RO water and nutes at 1.0 grow, 5.0 micro, & 10.0 bloom. Also added some H2O2. PPMs approx 940 & pH 5.7 in both.

9-26

Emptied & refilled both cloners with fresh RO water & nutes at 1.5 grow, 3.0 micro, & 5.0 bloom. Also added H2O2. Added 1 gal water to each large bubbler.

9-27

MMM1 is showing female preflowers.

Large bubblers down to approx 800 ppm, so I added more nutes with a gallon of fresh RO water to bring PPMs back up to 920. pH 5.7.

9-28

Topped off the large bubblers & cloners. The clones are looking very good with fresh growth - about time to replant them.

9-29 6 weeks since seeds sprouted

Added 7/8 gal to each bubbler; pH staying steady at 5.7.

9-30

Added 1 gal to each bubbler. PPMs down to 790; will top off nutes with water tomorrow. Added H2O2 to both bubblers & cloners.

10-1

Added more nutes to both bubblers with 7/8 gal fresh RO water. New PPMs are 1000; pH staying at 5.7.

Increased nute level in cloners since the plants appear to need more (new growth a bit lighter green than usual). Lowered the lights closer to the plants, as well.

10-2

Added 3/4 gal to each bubbler.

Topped off water in cloners. The Lifesaver #1 clones didn't take since they were cut when there wasn't enough undergrowth to get the stems long enough, so I cut 3 fresh clones since there is enough growth now (LS1 is the trifoliate).

The flowering garden is just about done; I filled the res today and started the air pump bubbling.

10-3

Topped off water in bubblers & cloners. pH steady; PPMs dropped some but not enough to add yet.

Added nutes to flowering res (0 grow, 5 micro, 10 bloom), tested pump and allowed the nutes to pre-soak the hydroton. Removed about 1/4 of the medium from each planter and put the clones into the planters while the pump had them fully flooded. With part of the medium missing, I could hold the clones between my hands to protect the roots, insert them down into the planter, let go of the clone, and support the clone with one hand while replacing the medium that was removed.

I set the pump to run 15 minutes every 3 hours. I'll leave the clones on 18/6 lighting for a couple of days to let them adjust to the new environment and then switch to 12/12.

Lighting is alternating cool (6500k) and warm (2700k) 4' fluoros for a total of 400 watts. Hopefully the 6500k bulbs will help reduce the amount of stretch as the plants start flowering; as time passes, I'll replace the cool bulbs with warm to finish off flowering.

The medium absorbed about 1.7 gallons of nute solution. When at full flood, the planters hold about 7 gallons. The res holds 25 gallons total.

Here is one of the planters with the clones in place:

10-4

Topped off reservoir in flowering garden with 1 gal RO water and added pH down. pH had been up to 6.4. Since the pH in the bubblers has been steady, all I figure is that the medium is affecting it. Hopefully this will stabilize as time passes.

Temps here are still pretty hot. The room temp averages 80-83F with garden temps about 83-86F with the lights on. Room humidity 44%; 50% inside the garden.

Added 3/4 gal water to each bubbler; pH staying steady at 5.7-5.8; PPMs 960.

10-5 (7 weeks since seeds sprouted)

Added a passive air intake vent to the back of the garden with an under-eave vent in it. Since this is against the wall, no light gets to the area to compromise flowering.

Lifesaver 3 is showing female preflowers - I have 2 of her clones in the garden, so this makes 3 confirmed female clones in the flowering garden.

Added 3/4 gal water to each bubbler. Added water to cloners & topped the tallest clone still in the cloner to keep height down to keep it from outgrowing the rest.

10-6 (flowering day 1)

Changed lighting in flowering garden to 12/12 today. Also changed the lighting on the cloners to 12/12 so they will be at the same stage when I need to remove males and replace them with females. Topped the taller MM2 clones because they are also quite tall.

pH in flowering res still rising; it was 6.4 again today. Took the pH down to 5.5. TDS at 790ppm (factor 700). Changed the timer on the pump to run 15 mins every 2 hours since every 3 hours doesn't seem to be enough for the small root systems.

Temperatures outside dropped about 35 degrees today. Temps in the house dropped to the lower 70's, which makes the temps in the garden in the upper 70's.

10-7 (flowering day 2)

Reduced lighting on mother plants to 13 hours a day (12 hours plus 1 hour in the middle of the dark period to prevent flowering). This should reduce the growth.

Bubblers took only 1/2 gal water each. PPMs at 860; pH steady at 5.7.

Emptied & refilled the cloners with nutes at 1.5g, 5m, 10b; also added H2O2. pH 5.7.

Lowered pH in flowering res again.

10-8 (flowering day 3)

Flowering res down to 810ppm, pH 6.1, temp 72F. Added 1 gal RO water with 0/2/4 nutes to take TDS up to 1020 ppm; this dropped pH to 6.0. I added 5ml pH down to bring pH to 5.7.

Temps outside back up into the 80's. Temp with lights on is 83F.

One of the MMM2 clones in the cloner bubblers is already flowering! Eager Beaver! This makes 3 confirmed females; 4 confirmed female clones in the flowering garden. The funny thing is this is the tiniest clone in the bubbler; it can't be more than about 1" tall.

Here are pics of the flowering garden from today:

Here is a pic of the overgrown mother plants. I'll be cutting them back tomorrow but since I'm still not sure how many females are in the flowering garden, I'm going to keep some of the cuttings for fresh clones. I may also replace the mothers with fresh clones to minimize size. The roots on the mothers are very tangled together.

That's it for now!

G

SWEET!!

And so detailed like all girls reports hehe!!
Gotta follow ya girl good luck and have fun........

B

BuzzBoy

yes you do a good job ambre, both in the growroom and as you write it up for us. but one question if i may, why all the H202?

G

Thanks guys! Sorry about not as many pics this time, but the plants got so big that getting individual pics of each one was impossible. That's not true any more - I cut them WAY down tonight! They look butchered at the moment, but will start growing out again pretty quick.

I promise I'll make it up as the flowers start blooming!

BuzzBoy - I add the H2O2 for two reasons: to give extra oxygen to the system, but primarily because it will kill any pathogens that may try to grow in the bubbler reservoir. In warm weather, my res is a lot warmer than recommended (about 78-82F instead of 68F), so I have to be careful. The weather is still pretty warm down here - we were in the high 90's a week ago, dropped to the 60's for a couple of days, and are back in the upper 80's again today. It's not unusual to have temps in the 70s or 80s for Christmas and one year we had temps above 100 in Feb! I don't miss Michigan winters, but I sure do miss the gorgeous colors & cool temps of Autumn.

Last edited:
G

Maximum recommended application is 2.5 tsp (of 3% strength) per gallon per day, but that's for fixing problems and it's not recommended to add that much to start with; work up to that. I usually add about 1 tsp/gal and I don't add it every day.

If you use organic nutes, don't use H2O2!

Last edited:
G

BuzzBoy - you're welcome!

GMT:

This is probably going to sound familiar to you, but I haven't yet successfully cloned it....

I've got five cuttings right now in two different bubbler cloners; two from last week and three from last night. The first two cuttings I took about a month ago rooted, but they were so short that they wouldn't grow (the plant would be great for SOG - one huge main cola and very little branching).

So, when I cut all the other mother plants back last night, I left the tri alone and kind of bent it over to keep it from burning on the lights. This will probably also encourage more branching since the tip isn't growing straight up any more. It's still growing strong as a tri; no sign of alternating nodes yet.

I am seeing the beginning of preflowers on it, but can't tell yet if they are male or female.

Now that I cut everything else back, I could probably get a good pic of this one. I'll try to remember tonight & post it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cheers Ambre, it's always the ones you want to keep that are the hardest to clone.
You may want to leave those side branches alone though and try to take the central cola if you want to keep the trait going in clone, I've found that once flowered and reverted they stay alternating rather than tri.

G

Update 10-13

Update 10-13

Here's another update.

10-9 (flowering day 4)

Flowering garden res down about 1 gal; not using too much water yet. Yet. 1020 ppm, pH 6.0. Added pH down to adjust to 5.8.

Cut mother plants way down because they are touching the lights and the lights are as high as they can go. Kept 2-3 clones of each plant; I may throw out the originals and replace them with fresh clones to keep the garden size small.

Bubblers still using about 1 gal per day each. pH still holding steady around 5.7, but TDS is dropping steadily.

10-10 (flowering day 5)

Bubblers taking about 1/2 gal each now that the plants have been cut back.

I built a "temporary" garden for the clones I have on 12/12 out of a couple of Rubbermaid tubs. I'll put up notes & pics in my build thread when I get a chance (this weekend). I can already tell that it isn't tall enough, but it will do for a few days.

One clone that I took yesterday wilted a bit, so I misted it and rearranged the air hose inside the bubbler.

10-11 (flowering day 6)

The big bubblers are down to 800 ppm; pH still good at 5.7-5.8.

Flower res down 2 gals, temp 77F, pH 6.1. Added pH down to bring it to 5.8, 2 gals water; 980ppm after water added.

The two cloners on 12/12 are doing well. Both were down a quart of water since two days ago (I didn't top them off yesterday). Added pH down to both.

The new clones are doing well; I topped off their water and misted them again.

10-12 (flowering day 7)

The pH is starting to rise in the bubblers; time to change the nute solution soon. In the meantime, topped off water and added pH down. TDS at 840ppm before adding water; I didn't measure after.

The flowering res is down about a gallon, but I didn't add water. 1020ppm, pH 6.0, temp 77F. Added pH down (again...)

I still have three definite females - MMM1, MMM2, and LS3. Bogglegum (BG) 4 is almost certainly male. BG1 also looks male, but not sure yet. No signs on LS1, LS2, or BG3.

The cloners in 12/12 are still doing well in their new container. A couple leaves are scorched from the lights; I hope the plants all show sex soon so I can remove the males from the garden and replace them with females out of these cloners. Since I built the garden, I might keep one or two of the smallest plants in it and SCROG them just for fun.

10-13 (flower day 8)

Bubblers took about 1/2 gal each. TDS around 800, pH rising in bubbler 1 (5.9) and dropping in bubbler 2 (5.5). Res temps 78F.

Flowering res 78F, 1040ppm, pH 5.8. Maybe the pH is leveling off. Bent the tips on the two MMM plants, which are taller than anything else. One of them had a very hard stem compared to the other and snapped partway through. I have it supported with a twist-tie; we'll see if it survives or if I replace it with another clone from the same plant out of the temporary garden.

Here are pics of the flowering plants

Cloners on 12/12 - TDS dropping, so I added 0/1/2 fresh nutes to the res. This took TDS up to 750ppm, pH 5.6. I bent over the tips of a couple of the plants to try to keep them out of the lights.

Mother plants - starting to show good new growth. Of couse, there are odd-shaped leaves and some signs of stress, but that is expected since I cut off over half of the plants!

Here is a shot of the trifoliate Lifesaver. I did not cut this plant back, I just bent it over to try to keep it out of the light. You can see by the burned marks on some leaves that I wasn't entirely successful...

Again, that brings the garden up to date. I was going to post an updated photo of the catnip garden, but the camera battery died before I could copy the pics to the computer, so I'll get those later. The battery is charging now.

Thanks for stopping by my garden! More later!

B

BuzzBoy

lovin' the detail

lovin' the detail

Hey Ambre :wave: I love how you put so much detail into your updates Ambre. It gives someone who has never grown hydro before some idea of how it works. I've started to grow 3 times now and it's never been the right time, but we are remodeling the basement before Xmas, and I'm definitely getting a big closet :joint: Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do what you do, you do it well

G

BuzzBoy - Learning hydro can be a challenge, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually easier than dirt. The growth is amazingly fast, too!

Rodriguez - Thanks! I hope the MG takes care of the problem with your garden. If not, shoot me a clearer pic with more detail on your grow & we'll see if we can figure it out - or post the info in the "Cannabis Infirmary" forum and you'll probably get help from several people.

GMT- I forgot to mention above that one of the clones I took about 9 days ago has roots a couple inches long and the second one has nubs showing, so I at least have rooted clones.

When I cut the mother plants back, I kept about 4 of the tops to compare how successfully they root compared to cuttings from lower down on the plant. So far, none of the cuttings have keeled over & died, so I take that as a good sign. Once this batch roots, I'll probably cut the top off of the trifoliate and root it.

I've got it under lighting that should prevent flowering - some of the lower branches that were shadowed by top growth are showing alternating nodes, but the top isn't. I have the lights at 12 on, 6 off, 1 on, and 5 off; this slows down growth compared to 18/6 but doesn't give the plants a long enough dark period to allow flowering.

Latest posts

Latest posts