What's new

Ambre's Bogglegum, Lifesaver, & MagicalMystery Grow

G

Update 9-17-05

Update 9-17-05

Wow, the growth speed is getting out of hand! The plants are overlapping each other fighting for light and blocking the smaller plants.

9-14

Added 3/4 gal of water to each bubbler. PPMs are dropping quickly - down to 590 in one and 600 in the other. pH staying stable between 5.5 and 5.7. Gotta love this RO water!

Set up the bottom shelf in the mother/veg area since the plants are big enough to cut clones.

9-15 4 weeks old (28 days)

Not much got done today; I had a really bad migraine.

Added 1 gal to each bubbler and added more nutes to bring the PPMs up to 750-760. pH still stable. Had to raise the lights again - a few leaves got toasted touching the CFLs.

9-16

Still have the migraine, but not as bad.

Took cuttings from all the plants except the runts. Put them into a bubbler cloner filled with 1 gal pH adjusted RO water and one drop of Superthrive; no nutes until I see roots. I covered them with a loose humidity dome and put them under one 15 watt 6500k CFL.

I'll probably cull the runts this weekend because the larger plants are blocking them from getting enough light to do anything.

Added 1/2 gal RO water to the two bubblers.

9-17

Well, I can't tell that I took cuttings 12 hours ago. The growth on the plants is phenomenal. I guess I'd better get cracking on the flowering unit!

No sign of preflowers or alternate spacing on nodes as yet, but the seedlings are only 30 days old.

Compare these pics with the ones from the 13th. :yoinks:

Here is bubbler #1

Here is bubbler #2

The clones are doing very well. No sign of wilting or stress; they are standing up tall.

Here is an updated pic of my Lifesaver trifoliate

vta

Veteran
Looking real good Ambre! Your green thumb is really showing. Love that Lifesaver!

sysprog

Coming along very nicely ambre!! Love the details. Excellent selection of strains you have going there, I'd love to get some of Bog's strains (lifesaver or sourbubble bx3) but they are out of my price range now. It looks like all of them are doing your construction skills justice as they love the home you built for them, lol!!
I'd like to see a shot of your catnip garden too! I've got to put one together since I can't use dirt, a couple of cats think the dirt planters are auxillary litter boxes. Catpiss seems to kill catnip!!

G

GMT - Thanks! I'll keep posting pics of the tri here if you want to follow it.

Sysprog - You have trouble cats, too? I have several since I deal with rescues of wild cats that have never used litter boxes at all prior to coming in the house. Some of them just won't learn and I end up having to place them as barn cats or keeping them outside.

Too much cat piss kills anything, including your sense of smell! :fsu: (We need a P.U. smiley!) There is a lot of ammonia & nitrogen in urine.

Check my build thread in a couple of days & I'll post the build directions for the small ebb/flow garden there. The basics of the plumbing are the same as the big one will be, but there are differences in the design since this is all self-contained.

In the meantime, check out www.catnipetc.com - they sell catnip ($10 a pound), seeds, and cat toys. That's where I got my seeds from and they germinated well. By the way, catnip is slow to germinate - 7-14 days.

sysprog

Cool thanks Ambre. Yeah, as the population of cats grew the older ones become contankerous. A spayed 3yr female spraying, 18yr male refusing to defecate in a used litterbox, sometimes even a clean one but at least he urinates in them. I'm a sucker for poor kitties and the occaisional mutt, I've accumulated 5 cats & a pitbull. A pair of ~1yr kitties are here and she is preggo :(
While my wife has never witnessed birth 1st hand, it is a responsibility and chore to place them in good homes. I always feel like a jerk asking people about how they take care of pets, there are those around who love to torture helpless animals so we've got to be diligent!

Great pointer to the catnip! I got mine from china-mart (wallyworld) but they don't have seeds now. I usually let them go to seed or self sow but like ya reflected on catpiss may be a good kush, but it's awfully hard on live plantings, lol! Yeah pee-yu! I've got to hand it to you, you must be a truely kind hearted soul to deal with so many rescued kitties. Hugs & kisses to you!! Cat Patron Saint Ambre, lol!

G

Sysprog - The directions for the catnip garden have been posted in my grow thread. Let me know if anything is not clear enough.

The cat I caught last spring was pregnant. She is cool - she has 2 extra toes on all 4 paws! Two of her kittens also had extra toes. I know they all went to good homes; my FedEx driver took one (he's taken several cats from me over the last few years), two went to technicians at my vet's office, and the other two went to a neighbor. I had to play midwife. The day she delivered, she wouldn't let me leave her side even to answer the phone. I didn't have to do anything, but she wanted the company and comfort.

I did have to help one cat who had a kitten that wasn't positioned correctly to deliver. I finally had to scrub up, reach inside, and reposition the kitten so it could come out. Luckily it didn't take much because it was Sunday and none of the vets were open!

I caught a boy last week, about 4-5 months old. At least this one isn't untouchably wild like so many I catch; he's very sweet and is turning into a nice lap cat.

Yeah, Walmart returned all their seeds a while ago. I tried to get catnip seeds at the end of July and they had already returned them! That's when I found this website. I ordered two pounds of the catnip leaves & buds since they have them on special - I usually pay about $5 for 2 oz. of catnip at Petsmart, so $10 a pound was a real bargain with the number of cats I supply! There's a reason my by-line is "the cat lady"

Newtogreen - Thanks! It's really not hard to grow. Your first crop will be a learning experience and it gets a LOT easier after that. You have the advantage of having IC to turn to when you need help or advice; I did it the hard way 30 years ago. Couldn't even find books on it back then - just general gardening books for flowers & veggies.

Last edited:
G

Update 9-24

Update 9-24

Here is an update for the last week

9-18

Worked on the flowering garden unit today; update in the build thread.

Clones looking very good - I removed the humidity dome & topped off the water in the bubbler.

Large bubblers took 1 gal of water each; topped off nutrients to bring PPMs to 740.

Cut MMM2 back & stuck the growing tips I cut off in a small round bubbler just for the helluvit. This is a small ziplock container with a screw-on lid, a small airstone, and a 5 gal air pump.

9-19

Bubblers took about 7/8 gal. water each; ppms down to 700 after adding water. pH holding steady at 5.7 in one and 5.5 in the other.

9-20

Bubblers took 1 gal water each; topped off nutes to bring PPMs up to 850.

Clones starting to show some yellowing; they will probably be showing nubs of roots very soon.

9-21

Clones starting to show root nubs. Added mild nutes (1.5g/2m/3b) to the bubbler.

Added 3/4 gal water to each of the big bubblers.

9-22 (5 weeks old; 35 days)

Added 7/8 gal water to each of the large bubblers; PPMs at 780; pH 5.7 & 5.5 as always.

Used a pin to poke more holes in the soaker tubing in the bubblers to increase air flow. It looks like this will be needed every 3-4 weeks.

9-23

Added 3/4 gal water to both large bubblers; 750ppm, pH same as always.

9-24

Added 3/4 gal RO water to the bubblers. Will top off nutes after the water has time to mix in thoroughly to the existing nute mix.

Several plants are showing alternating nodes.

Set up the second clone bubbler to spread the plants out a bit. Here are the bubblers and a pic of the roots at 8 days

Here are the big bubblers as of today

Here is the trifoliate Lifesaver.

That brings the grow up to date. Good progress and I'd better get the flowering garden finished soon! :whip: :whip: :whip:

Sleepy

Veteran
wow, quite the carpet you have there, Ms. Ambre!!

Its nice to see the versatility we all put into our grows.

you surely are a talented gardener.

meow.

:respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

G

Just a quickie update - one of the plants (MMM1) has female preflowers as of tonight. I'll get a real update up as soon as I can, but business has been incredibly busy this week and I am also trying to get the flowering garden ready to roll (the only big things left to do are the ducting for the exhaust & lights).

sysprog

Way to go Ambre!
Those ladies (at least 1!!) are looking extremely happy!! I'm going to check you're build thread...
Got my catnip seeds, those are great prices, competitive with any big retailer! My little girl had her kittens, 5 of them!! They are soooo cute, look just little rats, lol. Wife's first experience with pet reproduction and she is loving it. I got to stand firm, we are not keeping any of them!! Off to the vet soon to get them fixed.

On topic again...I have a few girls in bloom now. I had nirvana's indoor mix so I don't know what is what, but 2 of the 3 I had in the cabinet are too large. Tops past the light and only 2-3 weeks into bloom. I've 2 others outside the cab that I left in the phototron too long, one is only 10" and nicely crytalizing so it's gonna switch with the biggest in the cab. I've 3 bagseed bushes left (approx 30-36") that are females!! Not too bad, out of the 10pk, 2 runts died off, 2 males, and 1 just died off, 5 females. 10/10 germed, 5/10 fems (who knows the other 3 could've been too). So the nirvana's been good to me so far.....

G

Some "indoor" mix when the plants outgrow your room, huh? I've got a bunch of Nirvana seeds myself (picked up two of Gypsy's 4-pack specials).

I'm trying to decide what's next. I really want to try something with C99, so I might pick up Bog's Sweet Cindy; I've already got Sour Bubble BX3 on the way here from Seedbay. Since it takes about 6 weeks to get the seedlings up to flowering stage, I figure I need to pop my next set of seeds about 2 weeks after I start flowering (allowing 8 weeks for flowering to be on the safe side of scheduling). I'll keep mothers of the best plants from this cycle, which should be 2-3 plants. I've got a little over a dozen varieties of seeds on hand now, but some of them were purchased with future breeding projects in mind rather than for my immediate smoke needs. There are a few more I'd like to get (NL#5, Apollo, pure Cindy99). I don't plan on selling seeds, but breeding sounds like a fun way to extend the hobby and learn new things.

G

Success!!!!

Success!!!!

I got the flowering garden finished & 8 of the clones transplanted into it. I'll keep them on 18/6 for a couple of days to allow them to adjust to the new environment and switch to 12/12 Wed or Thurs. :woohoo:

I'll post a proper update when I have time - I've gotten behind on work trying to get this finished. :spank:

Bonzo

Veteran
Hello Ambre, how are ya? Nice garden. Is that pic of the roots at 8 days from when you put them in or 8 days from when you first saw roots?. What water did you use for rooting? I had great success with a homade bubbler/cloner about a year ago but recently cannot seem to get them to root? I am now trying one with tap water as thats what i used in the first one. Are you using R/O in yours? Any additives?

thanks

bonz

Bonzo

Veteran
Allmost forgot , how far did you submerge the stem in the bubbling water?

And one more thing, how often did you change the water?

thanks again

bonz

Last edited: