What's new

2008 Outdoors - Purpurea in the PNW!

Shlomo

Yeah, esbe, I noticed the roots took a while longer to find their place than most strains I've started. The plant seems to greatly disfavour very, very warm areas, and my peak in the starter room was frequently 25 celcius, with infrequent lows of 22 (right at vent), and "nights" were 18. I had some Serious Seeds Chronic starting in the same room a week later and it quickly matched the purpurea in the same substrate and same light intensity. That long term hardiness is what I'm banking on, though :cool:

Last edited:
K

kallenavndk

:headbange wow thats lots of hard work,thats a very great spot you have found. Good luck

Shlomo

lemonade said:
The dirt looks pretty good too. Have you though about hauling in soil? Even a bale just for insurance, so you know they have something they'll grab right into.

I meant to respond to this also, but I forgot before. No, I didn't haul in dirt. I was going to bring up some coco bricks and expand them on site, but I decided to sample the local flavour instead. Because I'm lazy.

kallenavndk said:
:headbange wow thats lots of hard work,thats a very great spot you have found. Good luck

Thanks... luck is what I need. Luck... and rain.

I went up to two of the plots recently. As a preamble, my truck has been getting fixed, and I've been dealing with some "drama" besides, so I've neglected my patches through this hot stretch we've had. My hopes were slim.

First one, this is what I saw :frown::
IMG_0563.jpg

The pick of the litter :rolleyes:
IMG_0564.jpg

The second patch was "better." Fewer plants but bigger examples. The weeds were already invading the richer soil. This is near a stream and I surmise the earth is more moist in general.
IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

That's not a pot plant!
IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

The prize, about sixteen inches tall:
IMG_0570.jpg

Without weeds sure to be a bumper crop :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
IMG_0576.jpg

I don't know what to do. It takes me about two and a half hours to reach either one of these patches, with a good hour between them. I'm thinking of bailing. These things aren't even showing sex yet, but I'm betting the drought stress will likely result in more males. I figure the end result will be a couple ounces, tops. Not really worth the gas and labour, I think, but yet I would like to see this thing through, out of curiosity.

I've yet to check my other two patches, but I'm low on hope. I've made too many mistakes, rushed the whole thing, and considered far too little. I basically bet on the chance that this would be a wet summer, like 1/4 of them are up here. I bet wrong. :violin:

What do y'all think? How much do you think I can pull out of these crops if I keep them going? Should I keep them going? My guess, minus males at 50/50, is, maybe, five or six ounces maximum for both of these patches.

Last edited:

Shlomo

Not too much interest but here's an update anyway. This was 2 weeks ago and there was hardly any flowers, though some males were just opening when I arrived :bashhead:

Hillside in the forest, a couple OK plants, nothing special. About three feet for the best, maybe less. No flowering yet so maybe it will all be worth it... and I thought purpurea was an early strain?

The bigger location I hadn't posted yet. Tallest about four feet. After I picked the males out, a couple of which dropped a bit of pollen, there was still about twenty females, just one or two starter pistills on the most developed, so no worries about fertilization. Going to be a late season!

:sasmokin:

Gano

judging by the weather, i am guess yield will be small and they wont finish flowering...just a thought...this year didnt seem that great for late starts.

honestly, i would pull them inside and finish them that way.

or let nature take its course, you never know....weather is not that predictable.

Shlomo

Yes, I have a similar feeling. It looks like it's going to be a late October thing, and in the mountains, barring an Indian summer, that means trouble. I'll check 'em at the end of this month regardless, as fall has been kind so far...

dreams

What happened to the rest... am looking for some purpurea beans also, but seedbanks do not send it to the U.S.

antimatter

Veteran
Feel your pain buddy, It was my first year in BC and was doing great but the mold set in hard for me and came out with not very much despite having some nice plants and many others had problems, ive heard lots of bad stories about 08 mold in early September killing entire crops, stuff not finishing on time, helis getting crops, hunters discovering ops.. lets hope change is coming haha, I think we just gotta keep trying and figuring stuff out I know I learned soooo much, fun times in the BC Bush.

Latest posts

Latest posts