What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rush Limbong Growing Serious Seeds CHRONIC, ebb & flow

Hi everyone,

First off,I'm sure the mods need to move my thread over into "Grow Diaries", :joint:

Anyway, this is my first attempt at Hydro, so anyone who would like to give some advice , well bring it on, cause I'm gonna need it!

Last edited:
I'll be growing in a Hydro Hut using a 1000w switchable.

I vented the hood into the attic via the air/heating vent in the bedroom

I bought one of those "speed control" dials from "Harbor Freight" If you've never heard of it, look it up on google....I think mine cost around 20$? I can't remember :frown:

It works really awesome as I keep the windows open in the bedroom. At night I keep the thing turned down all the way cause it gets around 40ish. This keeps the Hut at around the low 70's during the night. During the day, I crank the bitch up as the temps outside get warmer, wich in turn cools the light faster, keeping things the same or a little higher.

The next pic is the 6' fan hooked up in my attic

I have the ducting running about 10 feet...maybe more, to the next bedroom which has the charcoal filter sitting on the top shelf in the closet

I wanted to hang this big ass filter in the hut, but it weighs more than a small car and wasn't possible.....even though some argued it was :fight:

This system is really versatile. :chin: I keep the door open to this room, and it heats the whole upstairs to around 72 at night(outside temp-40's). If it gets too hot, I simply close the door, and open the window in the room a tad

Last edited:
ok, fast forward a few weeks, and here I am just finished germing, and praying for success

I know this looks ridiculous, but I'll explain. I started the seeds out in a plain 'ol glass of water, when the tap root showed(less than 24 hrs on all of 'em) I placed them in these starter plugs. I love 'em cause they're sturdy, and hold a good mixture of air and water. Well I bought one of those dumb ass jiffy things on an impulse at Wal Mart, cause I needed some type of "holder" for the plugs. I had a plastic one, but have since lost it.
Anyway, as you can see, the cardboard holder, sucked the water out the plugs at an alarming rate!! I then came up with my "cut the corner of a ziplock bag" thing. This does a great job of holding in the moisture to protect itself from my fuckup. I also cut a little hole in the bottom of each bag, to keep good air flow, and water runoff.

Ok, now I had to plant them. Once again, I came across another problem. It was REAL hard to place just the starter plug into the hydroton. The tiny root coming out the bottom was super frail. So what did I do? I cut the cardboard "holder" things out as individual cups, and placed them in the center of 5 1/2 pot. It was sooo much easier to just drop in the plug, and not worry about damage to the tender root(s) I'm not too crazy about the cardboard shit....but like I said...I'm ABC...123 newb, beginner or whatever.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heya Rush how the day man? There weeds man once ya get some roots coming out the bottom or sides of the rooters throw them bitches straight into the hydro balls. Fill your pots about half way full hold the rooters in the middle and then pour in the remaining hydroton balls until the pot is full. If ya got questions shoot me a pm and I'll find ya some pics.

Mr.Wags

Mr Wags,

I had been thinking of doing that, cause I was getting nervous about letting the roots try and penetrate the cardboard. Well, I did, and it was real easy! I'm glad I did, cause the roots weren't penetrating the cardboard at all, they were all growing straight down. I just took the pot, held my finger in the center where the rooter/cardboard was, and just dumped out the hydroton. I left about 1/4 in, and then peeled the cardboard away from the rooter. The roots had grown quick in just a few days. I then did what you said about holding it in the center, and then refilled the hydroton...simple.

Look for some updates/pics later

thanks for the tip!

RUSH

sirharrynuggz

Awesome!! I'll be watching this one for sure. I miss the Chronic, dammit! The best yielder I've had so far, and very nice smoke too. Never tried hydro, but she's a pretty easy girl to grow.

nice job rush... ~ btw a 30llb 8'' X 20'' mountain air carbon filter fits nicely in the hut and the straps can support it.

do u get a good intake presure from the bottom gills with the fan pilling the hood lamps?? I can't figure out how to maximise my vent system..? my hoods are 4'' // 8'' filter// 6'' fan... I don't want to put the filter outside and I have doubts that a y connector will have all three sizes or align properly in the brackets...

Hey everyone,

Here's some updated pics:

In this pic, you can see the problems I had with curling leaves. I figured that it might be from overfeeding(thanks Indica Sativa), or too frequent of a watering schedule. I'm a little relieved cause the new growth seems to be doing better. Why do I wish I should have stayed with soil?? :confused:

These are just other shots of the garden....if anyone sees something that looks "fucked"....please chime in and say something....we'll grow this grow together(yes, I'll save each one of you a little nug from the harvest :joint: )

Sirharry-You're the man bro...I'm glad you made it here...I need your support, even if it's just to bullshit!

Research- I get some really awesome intake pressure believe it or not from those bottom gills. I was sceptical at first at how efficent it would be.

Put it to you this way, when I put my hand on the intake side of the hood(fan on high), it can suck my hand to itself within an inch or two. The fan is about 8 feet away in the attic, and it's pushing through ducting into a filter in another room. I've been happy so far.

As for all those different diameters you have...I guess you can use reducers and stuff, but I'm not sure if it would work efficently enough??? If you can, try and at leat enlarge your hood to 6' so that it would match the fan, then go with a reducer for the filter...

I'm no pro, so ask around a bit...I'm the type of person who spends 3 dollars to get 1!

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
First attempt at hydro and organic hydro at that? Takes some big cajones for that. Seriously, organic hydro can be a bit more tricky then dumping salt ferts in but atleast you're in the right place for advice. What do you plan to use for nutes?

Last edited:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In time you will see that the early stages are sometimes the hardest. Until your girls get some roots in the rocks it's touch and go lol but always remember they are weeds man and have grown millions of years without our help all that we do it make them grow faster and stronger but the genes are in the seed.

What are you temps and your humidity? you got the nutes down it looks like now lets see what their environment is.

Mr.Wags

Bake_McBride

Rush,

Nice looking setup. Hydro can be a little intimidating at first, but once you get comfortable, you'll love the results. What nutes are you using?

Bake

I got so involved in trying to upload all the pics and everyting, and laying this thread out, that I forgot to mention what nutes I was using :canabis:

I'm using pretty much the entire Botonacaire lineup. I know it's not "completly organic" but I guess the advertisements make me feel good about the fact that I am right? :joint:

This is what I added to my rez for the first time....Just to let you know....I really think I went too strong....let me know what you think.

40 gal rez
200ml Hydroguard
240ml Hygrozyme
280ml PBPG
200ml LK
200ml Cal-mag

Too strong huh?
well, I think they're settling down a little now....

Last edited:
Sup, Chief, Bake and Clown!

My temps in the hut are usually in the 70's. That is taking into account for nightime temps as well. I never get into the 80's. Between the light and the tops of the plants, it varies from around low 70's to mid 70's. I'll go take a pic of all the temps at my time which is 11:45 am....

ok, here's a pic of the temps right as the fresh air comes into the room via the windows

Now here's the temps in the hut. The one on top is the "ambient" for the hut, the one below is the temp from the probe between the tops of the plants and the botoom of the light. Also, the humidity stays this low pretty much always :confused: Do you all think it's too low?

Awesome ventilation setup, and everything is looking nice & green. ;)

Way to go.

E&F is a great system.

I especially like your ventilation setup.

It is funny out of all the things in my setup, it is the ventilation system I am most proud of, that is what really takes some engineering skills.

I never thought I would be so handy with a dry wall knife.

Good luck, I will check back to see your progress.

Later man.

P.S.

I would bring the temps up to around at least 75F.

60s won't hurt the pants, but it will slow growth.

Around 78F is optimal.

With cold winter temps, you can always just stick your temperature monitor right next to one of the plants, and lower the light until the temps read in the 70s.

Good thing about winter if you can get your lights closer.

Last edited:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey Rush, first time here and it looks great. Those huts are the shit! You will get some sick budness with 1000 watts.

If I may suggest, you need to insulate that vent pipe that is up in the cold attic or you will get condensation and then water pooling inside your ducting from the warm moist air running through cold ducting. They make insulative blanket that has a black poly plastic shealth around. You can get it at most hardware stores in the correct diameter for you pipe. You are supposed to put it on before installing the piping, but all you need to do is cut the plastic sheath lengthwise with scissors, then wrap it around your ducting (the insulation part inside the blanket is already split along it's length), then tape it up with that aluminum foil duct tape.

If you're willing to replace that entire length in the attic you can buy insulated pipe with the pipe already wrapped with insulation, and this also helps sound proofing your vent system.

Good luck and I will be watching the chronic grow! :lurk: :joint:

Last edited: