What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ulbricht sphere PAR test (PPF) of several popular 1000W lamps

whazzup

Veteran
I posted this in another topic, but I thought it had enough value to stand on its own to keep the discussion more focused in the other topic.

So sorry for the cross-post but I think it deserves a separate topic.

Earlier I promised to share with you our measurements in the Ulbricht sphere of some common North American lamps compared to our 1000W double ended Philips and our own Gavita single ended lamp.

These measurements were done using a calibrated Ulbricht sphere and a high frequency electronic ballast that was modified to tune the output to the exact value optimal for the lamp tested. Some lamps did not reach their full power on the used ballast, so in order to make a fair comparison we tuned the output of the ballast to every individual lamp so all lamps got exactly the same power. This means that though this is a fair comparison for the lamps (they all received exactly the same energy) it is not a guarantee that these values will be reached in any other ballast, as different ballasts / lamp combinations result in different output powers. Ballast losses were not calculated because every ballast has different losses.

If you measure the energy used (W, not amps!) by your ballast and it is less than the manufacturer specified value, that is an indication that the output specified is not reached (if the ballast manufacturers specifications were correct!).

Every lamp manufacturer or light lab that has a calibrated Ulbricht sphere, a high frequency tune-able ballast and a high frequency power analyzer can repeat these measurements for verification.

These were all new lamps, sourced from our distributors and some just bought in shops.

So here's something for the weekend to study. As you see the difference can be a stunning 30% more light using a different lamp and even more with a ballast that is tuned to the lamp.

attachment.php

I do hope this will motivate other lamp suppliers to publish their specifications in ppf so they can be compared.

We also have tests on the way for light maintenance but as you can imagine those take a while (6 months to a year to be exact).

These are not all 1000W lamps available on the US market, but the ones we have available for testing at the moment. Of course there can be individual tolerances or batch differences and that's why we have more than one lamp of each.

We underran and overran the lamps on different powers as modern electronic ballasts can be adjusted too, and to show what this does with efficiency. The 1000DE is still very decent at 600W, but a 600W 400V Philips EL is still 15% more efficient at 600W. You see that some lamps do not come to their optimal efficiency, some are very close to it. You also see that efficiency can be even higher when you boost a lamp. Agreed, you spend more on electricity and it will cause your lamp to wear out a bit earlier maybe, but who uses his lamps 20.000 hours (4 years!)? And you still have a better efficiency and more light, even if the lamp loses 5% per year it's 10% more light when you boost 15%.

The power delivered to each lamp was very accurate as we had full control of the ballast output. Test equipment is described in my previous ballast test topic.

whazzup

Veteran
I had a bit of pm correspondence with a few members about this topic and subject. I'm going to share some relevant Q&A's with you:

So I read that some lamps deteriorate fast, how fast?
I can't post any data about the lamps where we haven't tested that ourselves of course. We measure the lamps before the burn-in period and after, and most lamps show lower measurements after a while of use and many starts. There is at least one exception and that is the philips double ended: It is not a vacuum lamp but a gas filled lamp. It can take a bit of burn-in time to get to maximum efficiency.

I wrote in the original topic that some lamps after a year of use will give more light than some other new lamps! And this extra light you have at no cost extra than to buy the right lamp. Up to 30% light more for the same electricity use, and increased yields of course which pays back for the investment of a better lamp easily and in many cases multiple times.

Also changing a lamp after a year for a different brand does not mean you will have more light. For example a year old philips will still be brighter than any other new lamp (out of the ones tested, I should add ;))

Did you use the new Hortilux ballast for the 1000W hortilux test?
No, we used a Gavita digital high frequency ballast which we tuned to the exact power of the lamp. So all lamps had optimal power, which in most cases increased the output of the lamps. We tried lamps on different ballasts and some lamps did not reach their full output in that combination. To make sure that every lamp/ballast combination was tuned to the best possible output we tweaked the ballast to provide exactly the indicated power.

so what do you think of the Hortiliux lamp..
It is one of the best lamps on the market when you have the correct ballast/lamp combinations. We haven't tried the Hortilux ballast yet of course so I can't vouch for it, but if driven at optimal power the lamp at least initially performs well.

.. and is the Digilux really an electronic lamp?
Though we sometimes talk about an "electronic lamp" there is nothing electronic about the lamp. A lamp can be designed for an electronic ballast, but it is highly unlikely that you can design a lamp that performs without any problems at optimal levels on any electronic ballast as the frequencies vary between 20 and 120 kHz. The Digilux is not any different: it showed acoustic resonance on a high frequency ballast and had a very average output. Though you can not always prevent acoustic resonance in your lamps (especially not with an adjustable ballast!) you try to avoid it as much as possible.

Did you measure other lamps as well? How about metal halides
No, not yet. We will test other lamps in the future so I will keep you updated.

Is the gravita Se the lamp with internl reflector?
SE stands at Gavita for Single Ended, DE for Double Ended. We are currently bringing our own "house brand" lamps on the market. Boxes being printed as we speak. It takes a long time before you can do that, so it can take a few months before they are available, but they will be.

what frequency did you use?
90 kHz+. Normally when you underrun the lamp the output frequency of the ballast increases. When you overrun it drops.

Are all european lamps good
On the European market the A brands such as GE, Philips and Osram have a more similar output, I think you can say within 10-15% max. You can check that easily at their websites. 600W 230V lamps are around 1100 micromoles, 600W 400V lamps around 1150 micromoles and most efficient 1000W lamps around 1850, but single ended is not used here in Horticulture because we have the philips with its exceptional output. If you see how they perform you understand why indeed we use a lot of 1000W in Europe in the greenhouses, but mostly the philips double ended.

On the European market there are a lot of cheap lamps too, sometimes even copied to the exact packaging of the philips lamps. Most are made in China and (worse) developed in china. Their light maintenance is not very good (but at that price you can change them a few times more, never mind the environment), many do not even get to their full output and the efficacy is not very good. A very popular lamp still is the standard Son-T Pia plus, which is not a horticultural lamp. I think that's still from the time when we hippies had to steal the lamps from the streetlights :D

whazzup

Veteran
Are the Venture and Sunmaster the same lamps?
I didn't look at the individual lamps myself, I'll check it out. The measured values are much alike, there can be small differences between lamps. That's one of the reasons why we will keep on measuring these lamps and any exceptions can be exemplary for a batch.

I think it would be really good if the manufacturers of these lamps did these tests, and did them with many lamps so they can guarantee an minimal average like Philips does. If you measure many lamps you get a much better indication of tolerances too. Anything we measure could be a few percent off by manufacturing tolerances.

Mister_D

Veteran
I smell a sticky ;) Thanks for putting this info in it's own thread whazzup. Though it doesn't tell the whole story, it sure is an important piece of the lighting puzzle. Curious if you have or will test the philips 400w master color CMH?

whazzup

Veteran
I had a busy week at the Horti Fair where the plasma lamp was nominated for the innovation award, will look into the lamps this week.

Mister_D

Veteran
Thanks for checking that out for me whazzup, i'm sure i'm not the only one here and elsewhere that would benefit from those specs. As a side note a few packs of your anesthesia will be finding their way into my seed vault very soon ;), sounds like some fire.

whazzup

Veteran
@supermanlives: Maybe you can compare the result with your previous lamps and see if you see the difference back in your results.

@mister D: Careful smoking that stuff, not for a beginner ;)

Anesthesia in scrog (1 plant):

Attachments

• P1050180.jpg
    P1050180.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 22
  • P1050183.jpg
    P1050183.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1050187.jpg
    P1050187.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27

Doc420

Finally some real numbers.:whee:
Great work.
Are you also going to test the Advanced Nutrients lamps???

whazzup

Veteran
What we can get our hands on and when we have the time for it. We choose to concentrate more on our own product development than on that of others, but once in a while you need to know where you stand and if you are still on the right way. Also when you claim to have the brightest lamp on the market it is only fair to share why you think you have it.

MIway

Veteran
whazzup~ nice bro... great data!

i went to the phillips site & they seem to have two bulbs for us... the horticultural bulb (think the Agrolite XT) & what looks to be a newer ceramalux agro... dunno? which bulb did you test?

also, advanced just came out with a bunch of gear including new bulbs... which they say is made by phillips... any idea which this might be?

thank you once again... cool info! peace bro

whazzup

Veteran
The Philips Agrolite XT is a good lamp. We haven't tested it in this round. I think it will top the Hortilux with 60 micromoles, Philips specifies the lamp at 1850 (see overview) and Philips data is reliable, no need to retest it. The measurements are for lamps that don't have reliable PPF specificications (if any), to compare that to the philips double ended. What I tried to do is create more transparency if you will, but also I like to explain what a remarkable lamp the 1000W double ended is.

I have seen the Advanced lamp on pictures and based on that I think I can say it is not typically Philips design and make. I base that on antenna, wire frame and shape:
attachment.php

Actually I remember seeing this lamp, quick google and yes, spooky: The Virtual Sun lamp available at $37 at amazon

When we have one we will test it.

Attachments

• 1000WattHPS_Red_bg.jpg
    1000WattHPS_Red_bg.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 27

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
It's nice to see inexpensive Plantmax lamps right in the middle of that chart for efficiency.

-Funk

whazzup

Veteran
it is.. but what will 15% more light during the complete grow do for your yield for the same electricity costs? And how about if you only need to change your lamp once a year?

If you think a lamp is expensive, think about the costs in grams of weed. How many more grams of weed you get during 4 grows per year with 15% more light? Even if it only results in 5% more yield that could be 200 grams of product. Does that justify a better lamp?

Many growers are a bit penny wise when it comes to reflectors and lamps.

growshopfrank

Veteran
gotta wonder how much of that extra light is courtesy of the lack of an outer envelope that the single ended lamps have

whazzup

Veteran
gotta wonder how much of that extra light is courtesy of the lack of an outer envelope that the single ended lamps have
There is no difference in the envelope. Both single ended HPS and double ended HPS have a single outer balloon. The only difference is that the philips double ended is made of quartz glass.

The specs of the Philips GreenPower 400/600W standard 230V lamps is as follows:

230V 400W: 725 micromoles
230V 600W: 1100 micromoles

But be warned: these are only suitable for magnetic ballasts. They are used widely in Europe for electronic ballasts but you need to change them a bit more often and check the wire frame condition.

Attachments

• cl-g-master_greenpower_cg_en.pdf
    205.1 KB · Views: 45