What's new

ZAMAL

G

hi all, does anyone know were to obtain pure zamal seeds, ive had a pack of ten seeds from the gn 03 collection but over the years i have grown them out and not found a male amongst them to create my own seed. also i am under the impression that another line of zamal was available that originated from a member that used to post on CW.. any info appreciated. :joint:

G

Hum from what I know, there are many zamal strains as zamal is the generic term used in La Reunion, a french Island in indian ocean, for cannabis, just as lambsbread in Jamaica, or ganja in India.

I heard around 14 different sub-strains, with names corresponding to their odor / taste / high or location, and this is without including all the modern hybrids (we are here in a similar situation as with jamaica on this). I have some Zamal St Ann seeds, never tried them however, but according to the grower that lives there, they are worth the pain.

Recently, a grower from the island documented me about the fact that indeed, most zamal strains are likely to be hybrids between pure tropical lines. The pure zamal would very hard to find because kept very secret by old island growers.

I highly doubt there are pure old zamal lines available outside the island, due to the difficulty to obtain seeds from these old growers. :confused:But I'm still trying ;)

Good vibes :)

Last edited:
G

I'm growing Female Seeds X-line Zamal x neville's Haze and I can highly recommend it, very large, branchy pure sativa.

P1010010.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010009.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High!!

We grew different zamal females outdoors in soil 4-5 years ago when Gypsy brought the seeds. They were some of the most impressive pure sativas i've personaly grown. They are incredible vigorous and bushy sativas. We planted them in May and some of them reached 3.5 meters in September. I lost the the pics after the OG fall but i will try to recover them from my old hard disk and post them here.

They are very long flowering plants finishing outdoors in january.She has a similar flowering time and light requirements than a pure haze or thai. Not recommended for indoor grows in pure form.

It's a leafy african with a terrorific electric high. It can produce serious paranoia and anxiety when correctly grown. Indeed we did some crosses like zamal x lemon ( french outdoor strain), zamal x jack flash and some phenos produced some of the most powerful sativa high i've ever smoked. A mix between anphetamine and LSD.

She smells leafy and earthy like most africans. Not a great thing. Her taste is also quite woody and leafy, not specially pleasant. But it's a very special sativa to breed for her electric high, extreme branching and vigour. I'd try to improve her flower/leaf ratio, aroma,taste terpene density and indoor adaptability.

I hope it helps.dubi

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Hey Dubi, long time no see. Just a point made on what you said. As growingfury indicated, Zamal is - more than a strain - a definition for wild growing herb at the Reunion Island, although I think local Zamal growers has special characteristics in mind to define the Zamal, so in a certain sense you can call it a race with particular traits.
the lemon Zamal is (at La Reunion) not a particular strain, but a Zamal grown among lemon trees, which gives it a special taste (but perhaps you crossed it with a strain called lemon).
The most appreciated Zamal variety is the Mangue-Carotte, which gets its taste from growing close to Mango trees.
I'm in no way a Zamal expert (as I've already pointed out to Zamalito), but I sometimes come across Zamal threads while reading the French cultivation forums, and lap it all up.
Stay safe.

Cheeks

deadM

It's a leafy african with a terrorific electric high. It can produce serious paranoia and anxiety when correctly grown
i've grown 4 differents zamal and all are different..some are powerfull and energizing..i was very potent and can do quite everything totally high..that one has a lemon taste.
another one was terrorific..many friend after one can't smoke anymore of it ..they were unable to speak and move :pointlaug ..i feel bad with it many time but i finished to accept it and enjoy the high and the strong power.
all weren't identified as "mangue-carotte", "fil rouge", "qualité poivre" ..

the lemon Zamal is (at La Reunion) not a particular strain, but a Zamal grown among lemon trees, which gives it a special taste
are you sure? it don't seems to me that cannabis grown near other culture take others plant taste

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
deadM said:
are you sure? it don't seems to me that cannabis grown near other culture take others plant taste

I must admit that I was very skeptic to this myself, I couldn't for the world figure out why a plant that grew next to another plant would aquire some of that other plants taste or scent. But I kept hearing growers and gardeners say that it was so. I contacted an experienced horticulturist that explained to me that plant roots actually attack other plant's roots and suck nutrients out of them. This is - to me - the most plausible explanation I've come across.

alphacat

Ah yes, competition for resources. Must admit, I don't usually think of plants as being aggressive toward neighboring plants, but makes sense.

Rosy Cheeks said:
I must admit that I was very skeptic to this myself, I couldn't for the world figure out why a plant that grew next to another plant would aquire some of that other plants taste or scent. But I kept hearing growers and gardeners say that it was so. I contacted an experienced horticulturist that explained to me that plant roots actually attack other plant's roots and suck nutrients out of them. This is - to me - the most plausible explanation I've come across.

Limeygreen

Veteran
One cause could be citrus oils from lemons transferring to the buds. If the oils got hot enough and released, they could travel through the air and land on the buds.

G

hi dubi, i remember your zamal pics from the old forums also uncle ben had some awesome zamal afghan. the plants i tried indoors whent 20 weeks and still they would not finish, the high though was amazing like taking speed.

alaeddin

I don't have an explanation for this, but I've experienced different flowers exchanging colors. They would start blooming pure red and pure blue, but slowly each plant that were close to another of different color would start to change color and they would meet somewhere in between, at a nice violet. Can't remember which plant though, some autumn blooming flower. Would anyone recommend the GN Zamal?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Rosy Cheeks said:
Hey Dubi, long time no see. Just a point made on what you said. As growingfury indicated, Zamal is - more than a strain - a definition for wild growing herb at the Reunion Island, although I think local Zamal growers has special characteristics in mind to define the Zamal, so in a certain sense you can call it a race with particular traits.
the lemon Zamal is (at La Reunion) not a particular strain, but a Zamal grown among lemon trees, which gives it a special taste (but perhaps you crossed it with a strain called lemon).
The most appreciated Zamal variety is the Mangue-Carotte, which gets its taste from growing close to Mango trees.
I'm in no way a Zamal expert (as I've already pointed out to Zamalito), but I sometimes come across Zamal threads while reading the French cultivation forums, and lap it all up.
Stay safe.

Cheeks

Good day Rosy Cheeks!

Sorry for the delay in the reply! It's great to see you around!

People more familiarized with zamal there in La Reunion comment about different zamal types. Reunion has a great tropical volcanic climate where powerful cannabis can easily adatp and a long cannabis growing tradition of at least 2-3 centuries ( probably more ) .

It's easy to imagine how past related populations developed different zamal sub varieties after being grown many generations by different growers or in different micro climates.

Im only familarized with Gypsy's version ( he was very kind to gift me 15 zamal seeds years ago even before we met in person, thank you!). But if there are other sativa populations with the same extreme potency or other equally interesting traits, then there's a HUGE genetic potential in the island.

African sativas, when correctly grown, can provide some of the most powerful and electric highs. It's a pitty this kind of genetics and highs have not been used to develop modern commercial cannabis strains.

I've found some old zamal pics. They were grown organically in soil 4 years ago with all our love and best conditions we could gave them. I hope you enjoy them! :yummy:

Zamal little plants growing in May. They can stretch a little bit in the first weeks of life or when grown indoors.

But if they recive enough direct sun, they start to show their true nature. An extreme branching pattern i've seen in very few pure sativas. Here's one zamal female starting to get bushy in June

And in July they became monster trees. They were so bushy that it was impossible to see the main stems inside the jungle of stems :D

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Here are the zamal females in July/August, each time bigger and bushier, still growing.

We had an excellent female ratio, indeed it was pretty difficult to find a male to breed. It happens with some africans.

G

hi dubi, mine were the same. no males at all and they just started to kick out a few male flowers at the 20 week mark, maybe this is how they recreate themselves in the wild.j

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
jingles said:
hi dubi, mine were the same. no males at all and they just started to kick out a few male flowers at the 20 week mark, maybe this is how they recreate themselves in the wild.j

High jingles!

I havent found hermie tendencies in the pure zamal females when correctly grown, although a few zamal hybrid parents became hermie and i believe was some kind of recessive zamal influence.

I believe Reunion is not very close to ecuator but zamal can flower for 4-5 mounths like a pure thai or haze.