What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamal Hash - first indoor grow

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks MadMac and Dubi,
to avoid overgrowing the tent I'll start reducing photoperiod today, for 1,5h/day so it will be 12/12 on thursday, the official day 1 of 12/12.

I'll make some photos before flowering of course.

konopenko

Veteran
Hey Koon bro, I would let them veg another 2/3 weeks..or are you expecting some serious strech? You can leave them another week on 14/15 hours it would not harm in terms of yield imho ;)

Koondense

Veteran
Hi guys,
since I failed to change photoperiod as was planned, I'm now stuck at 15,5/8,5, which is still good for veg:)
Maybe you're both right, the plants could benefit of more growing and some last pruning before true flowering.
So rescheduling the flowering for next week or depending on plants conditions, maybe even before.
Some stretch is expected from Cognition, not much from ZH clone.
More veg will be good for easier taking of clones, I think I'll keep them all if possible.

Lights are still 150W leds + 125W cfls
Added a proper carbon filter and extraction fan with rpm regulation(thinking of making a small "lung box" with air filtering). The smell of forest coffee is now completely gone.

Until I open the tent:)
picture.php

Zamal Hash from seed, now I call her "Bunny" - also found some double serrations on the biggest fans. Stem rub gives different aromas compared to the clone pheno, this one has a dark piney fresh kind of smell. Very good, I prefer this to the clone.
picture.php

Cheers

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
Perfect timing belivitez!

Today is the last day of "veg", I mean last day of a decreasing photoperiod. Today it's 13,5/10,5 and tomorrow will be 12/12.
I'm very happy with the veg stage of my first indoor grow, seems to me the clones and other seed plants got pretty big and healthy. ZH Bunny is a fine specimen with true vigour, can't wait to clone her.
KaliChinas are getting gorgeous, there's something about the leaves which excites me. Also both Amnesias look great but have a much more generic leaf shape, not so interesting to my sight.

Zamal Hash clone with the cob led unit above
picture.php

Zamal Hash - "Bunny" top
picture.php

and double serrations on Bunny's fan leaves
picture.php

Kali Chinas
picture.php

And the Cognition clone along with ZamalHash clone + little Amnesias
picture.php

So tomorrow will be 12/12 and I'll put another set of leds with total 300W of 3000K cree spectrum.
I'll also take ZH and Cog. clones in the next few days, I think the KC/Amnesia clones will be taken later and will need reveg.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks Kief,
the Kali Chinas indeed look some special strain, judging from the two specimens I have.

I think there is a slight problem with ZH clone, as I started 12/12 there seem to be a bit of yellowing on leaf tips(new growth) while all the bottom foliage is healthy dark green. I was thinking of N def but it doesn't make sense as it usually starts from the bottom leaves and brings different kind of discoloration.
Maybe it's related to "higher EC" because I didn't water them for 3 days and soil EC went up.
Or maybe it's because of stress related to spectrum change, now there are only 3000K leds without the 6500K cfls.
I'm just theorizing of course.

Any ideas?

Koondense

Veteran
After three days of 12/12.

Young Zamal Hash loves to grow and puts the light to good use. Here's a view on the lights and plants.

picture.php

The yellowing I mentioned is only slight and mostly noticable on ZH, Cognition also has some but less.
It's probably because of my feed mix, will start using only BioBizz Bloom in light concentrations soon.

picture.php

The humidity is slightly high for now, trying to keep it around 60% but it wants to be around 70.
Temperature is between 20-24, sometimes drops to 18°C.

:tiphat:

konopenko

Veteran
Hey Koon, they are growing very nice atm...I think those yellow spots could be a sign of unbalanced intake of minerals. Are you watering them very often?
Those lights looks sexy, are they homemade?

Koondense

Veteran
Hi Kono,
not watering often, every 3 days usually. I'll water them for a week with clear water and then slowly add some bloom fert if needed.

The lights are home made, assembled from some of the best components available on market.
I'm quite proud of them and very happy with the amount of light they put out. More than a 400W hps for less than 75% power consumption, also with a better spectrum.
They only need to be put on a frame, now the'y re hanging which is not so safe. But it will do for this grow:)

Dion

Thanks Kief,
the Kali Chinas indeed look some special strain, judging from the two specimens I have.

I think there is a slight problem with ZH clone, as I started 12/12 there seem to be a bit of yellowing on leaf tips(new growth) while all the bottom foliage is healthy dark green. I was thinking of N def but it doesn't make sense as it usually starts from the bottom leaves and brings different kind of discoloration.
Maybe it's related to "higher EC" because I didn't water them for 3 days and soil EC went up.
Or maybe it's because of stress related to spectrum change, now there are only 3000K leds without the 6500K cfls.
I'm just theorizing of course.

Any ideas?

how high are u hanging the cobs from canopy?

u brought plants in from outdoors? have you checked for broadmites?

Koondense

Veteran
Lights are 25-30cm above the canopy.
Clones were taken outdoors in september and slowly revegged, no sign of any pests is visible.

I think the plants had too much of something, maybe related to ec or ph imbalance.

Dion

Lights are 25-30cm above the canopy.
Clones were taken outdoors in september and slowly revegged, no sign of any pests is visible.

I think the plants had too much of something, maybe related to ec or ph imbalance.

ok i see

i get those symptoms at about 10cm so ur hight is fine

iron def? I find water in my location is high in mag beut very low in calcium and iron

Siever

Veteran
Yo Koondense,

If you have mold in the flowers, you might want to give some Ca(lcium).
I'm growing indoors, but I noticed that if you grow for example 1 strain 2 times in a row & the first time you only give a little to nothing and the second time you give enough. You will see that if you have budrot the first time, you won't have it the second time.
I don't know about outdoor growing though.

Siever

Koondense

Veteran
@Dion
The water I mostly use is filtered tap water, with Brita filter. That should be fine, maybe it's time to change the filter, water is not so bad otherwise. Rethinking the situation, I'm now 99% sure it was because of my excessive EC of the feed.

@Siever
I hope to not have any mold my friend:) The clone's mothers were grown outdoors in pretty bad conditions and had zero mold both, so not expecting mold indoors, hopefully. However I should do something about night humidity, it always climbs to 90% even with the extraction fan on. I measure humidity 5cm above the soil, inside the canopy. Time to get a small dehumidifier.

I don't think there's a soil deficency but was more of a lockout because of an improper feed, my mistake was not considering the plants didn't show any wish for feeding and I gave it to them.
Personally I hate this, I feel like a grandma who wants you to finish your plate and you are already full:D

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Short notes.

I'm 99% sure both KaliChinas are male plants.
This brings me to a point of decision making - which one to keep for seed making? I feel more love towards one, the more vigorous with thinner and prettier leaves, so I fear the other one will have to go.
Also there will be some change in the tent, the two Amnesias will find a new home, my space is now pretty crowded and I feel the need to spread the ZH clone more.

All three main plants are showing nice preflowers and I notice the increasing smell, ZH clone has a pungent aroma now it's in transition to flower.

Meanwhile the yellow leaf tips don't spread and now I give them only clean water. No runoff.

Update with pics will come tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts