What's new

Youth today have got so good.........

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Funny email I got

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... Uphill BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!! There was no e-mail!! We had to actually write somebody a letter...with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitch hike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no on-screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire..

Imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd

eyes

Veteran
Things certainly have changed,thats for sure.Same person doing all that complaining is the same person writing on the computer and using the email.KInda ironic,huh?Well.im the over 30 crowd myself but thats just the way things are.Cant live in the past and although i dont like all this technology myself,whatcha gonna do.Dont blame the kids for it..its not their fault.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I guess I must be one of those that walked uphill to school. Sounds like a silver spooned dilettante to me. "Your guy was a little square?" What guy? We had rocks. We didn't even have an on button. Hell, we didn't even have water. We had to crush hydrogen and oxygen together in our bare hands. We had to ...

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
wow... all i can say is you're special... and i am nearly 25. We all have it soo fucking well cause technology has adapted to the times? Are you serious? Is that your complaint? Really? The video games are cooler now than they were 20 years ago? Seriously captain obvious?

eyes you couldn't have said it better, the only people i ever see that say kids today have it better are severely demented old people. Kids today are fucked royally imo, they are protected from everything, *this is not a good thing. I would not be suprised it we didnt start making playgrounds with rounded corners, and wrapping the kids in bubble wrap. Those little snowflakes are going to get a shocking dose of real world when they turn 18 or graduate high school.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
thekingofNY said:
Kids today are fucked royally imo, they are protected from everything, *this is not a good thing. I would not be suprised it we didnt start making playgrounds with rounded corners, and wrapping the kids in bubble wrap. Those little snowflakes are going to get a shocking dose of real world when they turn 18 or graduate high school.

You got that right. Parents today are off the friggin HOOK! I had a woman bitching at me because she didn't even want her child to SEE me smoking a cigarette at a public park and I was over thirty feet away and downwind of everyone there, I know because I purposefully moved downwind so they wouldn't have to smell it.
If they want to coddle their kids that's fine, but it appears that alot of them are teaching them to be completely intolerant of the people they have to share the planet with and that sucks.

NPK

Well, as someone who played a shitload of Space Invaders and actually had to walk to school, I find this too damn funny because it's SO DAMN TRUE!. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Hey, making tapes off the radio took a lot of patience!

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
whoever wrote that article has his head up-his-ass... this thread is the opposite of Gypsy's thread, what was it called?
back in the day we had it better than now... city kids worry me, I doubt that they get not even 1 hour of direct skylight a day... they are always inside or where there is a lot of cement and stores where to buy garbage from, and they listen to silly music sponsored by corpo-nazis. poor little bastards...

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
you realize we have all those things becuase of people over 30...so it's your fault the kids today are so well off.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Chiefsmokingbud, you are all right! LOL!!

I grew up in the boonies, where I still am today, there was no cable TV.

When I was a kid, Satellite dishes usually belonged to the well to do, or else they were the majority of the entertainment budget for most of the locals who owned them, and they were HUGE!!!
At my house I was limited to broadcast TV stations, we got 3 or 4 channels(if I was lucky), barely, and if I was lucky there was only one ghost picture, and usually there was 2 or 3, I just got used to deciphering what I was seeing on the TV, often there was alot of static.

When I needed info that was not contained in my personal library, I went to the local public library, if they didn't have it, I requested it from another library, if they didn't have it, I had to take a trip to the local bookstores and look for it there, and on and on.

If I had a question about growing, I had to go to my growing books and hoipe it was in there, cuz there were few live people to ask, and if none of them had the answer.........

Getting ahold of freinds and family was not as simple as grabbing the cell out of my pocket, you had to hope you could find a working pay phone, and then hope your freind was near the phone you called, and that it was not busy. Often there was a wait to use a pay phone.

When you took pictures, you were carefull what you took a picture of, cuz all we had was film, film cost money, and it cost money to get it developed, and you had to wait to get it developed, unless you wanted to pay even more to get it developed in a hour, and then take a chance of getting shitty quick developed pics. And unless you had a Poloroid, you didn't take pics of your girlfreinds tits or the buds on your Cannabis, that was a no no.

When you needed to type something, you used a typewriter, computers with decent printers and word processor programs were rare. If you mis-spelled, messed up the format, etc, often you had to start the page over again.

In my day, people smoked cigarettes everywhere allmost, a trip to the local family resteraunt usually involved swirling clouds of smoke blowing over from the smoking section. Nothing like Marlboro flavored pizza.

Don't even get me started on finding your favorite song on a casette tape, or rewinding a VHS tape, or scratching a LP record.........

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
everything has something positive and something negative about it......its not better....or easier...it is just different

i am in my mid thirties now.....and i wouldn't want to be a kid now.....more then twenty years ago

if i had to choose between the two it would be a tough choice....well at least for me

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
im gonna be nice to the young people i figure once us boomers start collecting social security for a decade theyre gonna start shooting us in the streets LOL :rasta:

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
nothing easy about today......an average person has to work his ass off everyday...just to feed himself

and if he has a family the wife has to work too....period

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
What kids lack today is imagination. I say that because I see it in my own 8 year old. Back in the day it was usually just soaps on the 3-4 channels we had most of the day. So either you were just bored or you had to use some imagination to entertain yourself. If we weren't break dancing, playing pinball at the arcade, riding bikes, or using our imagination to build forts and whatnot..............we were getting into trouble. Now it's all about Xbox, Cell phones, and T.V. People wonder why kids are like they are today...........it's called techology. Technology is a double edged sword IMO.

burn586

I swear that kids today don't understand the importance of playing outside. I'm not the over 30 crowd, but damnit I was outside every friggin day. They are wasting their youth in front of their playstations. I have a 13 year old brother who would melt if he had to be outside for more than 5 minutes. I'm all for new technology, but our country is gonna go to shit in about 30 years.

master shake

yeah and your parents had it worse and their parents had even tougher life...and so on.

IT'S CALLED PROGRESS. Most people my age will probably bitch about how easy shit is for the youth in 10 years

C

CheifnBud2

My vagina hurts. Why dont you complain about how thirty years ago there was no obesity epedemic, fucking dumbshit 100% consumer society, or a giant fucking population problem. Oh i had to get off my ass to change the channel on the tv, but you kids just get to sit there and flip away, more efficently wasting your time.

Oh joy.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
its having a physical toll, for sure look at rising childhood diabetis and obesity. physical activity in kids is a good thing especially when theyre growing, helps em grow healthy. its good to get out and explore the physical world too.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Every generation after the one that fought WWII has gotten progressively softer and less mature, few in the western world has any clue what its like to be truely poor, and few really understand the full ramifacations of being a citizen of a country truely at war for its very life.

And that includes my generation..............

Latest posts

Latest posts